View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #223
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

cool, if anyone else has more feedback, feel free to chime on in. Would 3.91s be too non-street friendly? I kinda don't think so. I mean I used to run the 3.73 gears with the old TPI engine (and 700r4) from 2004-2019. The 3.73 ratio was never bad on the highway, and I was never looking to blast across the interstate at 90-100 mph anyways. I think anything in the 4.11, 4.xx range might be a little too much, but a 3.91 coupled with the 700r4 overdrive plus locking up t he converter would be just fine.

Larry, i did a quick search for the GM made gears, nobody seems to be selling those. would that be something I would really have to seek out or where can I find them? I was probably going to go for the "lightning finish" on the gears, and I don't think a GM gearset would offer the lightning treatment that Moser/Us gears does. Apparently it helps with break-in and stuff? Can the GM gears only be found used or new-old-stock ?

As for the 3.91 gear with nitrous, I am struggling at how to mathematically determine how my current 3.55s would work with nitrous too. If I were running a 100 shot I would probably be at the very top of 3rd gear crossing the finish line. However if I were to run the 200 or more shot I planned on running, I am pretty sure I would have to shift into 4th gear (overdrive is a 0.70 ratio) before the line so that is not optimal. If I ran the 3.91s I'd hope to be able to stay at the top of 3rd gear while crossing the line when running no nitrous (current setup), and on a small shot I'd be into 4th gear, but on a bigger shot I would be into the meat of 4th gear. Since I have no idea how to use math to figure this out, I am just doing my best guess.

Basically, I want the car for feel more alive and woken-up not only on the dragstrip, but especially on the street. I want to take people for rides and have that killer instant acceleration. It is pretty good now, but thinking the 3.91s would really deliver the "pinned in the seat" experience.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 12-03-2020 at 06:39 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote