Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
95formula
14 Second Club

Finally got to the track....

Just got back from island and it was my first time racing at the track and it was great. i got 4 runs in. I got to beat a civic and a celica and lost to a porsche and a ls1 camaro.

Best time: 14.6 @96mph

1995 Silver Firebird Formula A4
-Harwood Ram Air Hood
-SLP Ram air intake
-Flowmaster Catback
-160 Degree Thermo
-Corvette Replica C5 rims 17x9.5
-Drilled Rotors
-MSD Cap, Rotor, and Coil
95formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Brando56894
15 Second Club

pretty nice man, keep goin and the times will get lower and lower my first time was a 15.6, the second time i went to the track and took the passanger seat out i got a 15.4
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

I think i was behind you a couple cars back
Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Thats a good MPH, alittle more practice and you should be in the low 14's high 13's!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
35thls1ss19
11 Second Club

i saw you running, trap speed ggod for low 14's... that porsche was very qucik! And i saw a nice black ss from ny he had a 408.. he put donw 498 pretty sick!

Sold.

1999 F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Formula 223ls, 454 mag
35thls1ss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19
i saw you running, trap speed ggod for low 14's... that porsche was very qucik! And i saw a nice black ss from ny he had a 408.. he put donw 498 pretty sick!
I beleive that's 1984camaroz28 (or something like that)... not sure of the username but he's on the board.

Yea, that trap is definately good for some much lower ETs, it's all in practice, good start tho!

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
95formula
14 Second Club

That porsche ran a 12.2 @ 123 and had crazy wide tires.

i need to work on my r/t i had a couple that were over 1 sec

-Harwood Ram Air Hood
-SLP Ram air intake
-Flowmaster Catback
-160 Degree Thermo
-Drilled Rotors

Last edited by 95formula; 04-22-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
johnjzjz

This is for anyone who wants to be serious about it we have taught all the guys that have raced for my shop not to worry about what the RT # is at first, the key is at first to get the same #, trying to leave just when the bottom yellow is just ( lit ) is the best advice, we use that with all the drivers, even if you red light 5 times in a row as long as the # you red light with is constant thats the key ( constant ) any constant # is a great start, later on you can bring the car to you ( dont know if you know what i mean ) but front tire air pressure -- weight added to the front -- or the trunk can be a key to cutting good lights, just use a focas point the bottom yellow get that down ( FIRST ) that is if you are looking to be in the game when it counts jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

What was your 60' time? Post up your whole slip and we can help you point out things that you can do as a driver to improve, and also what mods you need most to improve.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
95formula
14 Second Club

R/T: .802
60': 2.311
330: 6.327
1/8: 9.550
MPH: 76.74
1000: 12.297
1/4: 14.62
MPH: 96.27

-Harwood Ram Air Hood
-SLP Ram air intake
-Flowmaster Catback
-160 Degree Thermo
-Drilled Rotors
Old 04-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz
This is for anyone who wants to be serious about it we have taught all the guys that have raced for my shop not to worry about what the RT # is at first, the key is at first to get the same #, trying to leave just when the bottom yellow is just ( lit ) is the best advice, we use that with all the drivers, even if you red light 5 times in a row as long as the # you red light with is constant thats the key ( constant ) any constant # is a great start, later on you can bring the car to you ( dont know if you know what i mean ) but front tire air pressure -- weight added to the front -- or the trunk can be a key to cutting good lights, just use a focas point the bottom yellow get that down ( FIRST ) that is if you are looking to be in the game when it counts jz
if he was at island on friday night, they were running pro tree anyway, no sense in waiting for the bottom bulb. They run pro tree to help simulate street racing a little better.

95Formula,
Don't worry about reaction time at all, it doesn't affect you're ET one bit. The only thing it will help with is if you're running a car thats close to your time, with a good r/t you may beat him down the track. like if you have a .040 r/t, and he has a .840 r/t, you have an 8 tenths jump on him, so theoretically you could run a 14.7 and beat a 14.0 car to the finish line just by reaction time. Unless you're interested in bracket racing, i wouldnt worry about r/t at all though, just do what you gotta do to get your car down the track.

However, if you are interested in bracket racing, i'd be glad to help ya out
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

ohhhh yea that 60' shoud come down... stock suspension? what kidn of tires? what RPM were you lauching at?

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
95formula
14 Second Club

Stock suspension, all season tires, going from idle, remember it was my first time, so i need some guidence

-Harwood Ram Air Hood
-SLP Ram air intake
-Flowmaster Catback
-160 Degree Thermo
-Drilled Rotors
Old 04-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

You should be able to get that 60' down at least .2 seconds just from practicing, and then you'll need tire and suspension to go faster. Tubular LCA's and LCA relocation brackets will help a lot, as will a new torque arm.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
enRo
13 Second Club

Foot on the brake, rev @1500RPMs and when the light is green (or judging when it will turn green) and release brake + slam on the gas . That'll give u a better launch. I dunno if it goes for LT1 Trannys but keep the shifter in "D" and not "(D)" . Try that out next time.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Foot on the brake, rev @1500RPMs and when the light is green (or judging when it will turn green) and release brake + slam on the gas . That'll give u a better launch. I dunno if it goes for LT1 Trannys but keep the shifter in "D" and not "(D)" . Try that out next time.
how do u know that he's got an auto?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar
how do u know that he's got an auto?
Says A4 in his sig ... + We took pictures with our cars remember?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #18
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Says A4 in his sig ... + We took pictures with our cars remember?
ahh i forgot
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #19
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva
if he was at island on friday night, they were running pro tree anyway, no sense in waiting for the bottom bulb. They run pro tree to help simulate street racing a little better.

95Formula,
Don't worry about reaction time at all, it doesn't affect you're ET one bit. The only thing it will help with is if you're running a car thats close to your time, with a good r/t you may beat him down the track. like if you have a .040 r/t, and he has a .840 r/t, you have an 8 tenths jump on him, so theoretically you could run a 14.7 and beat a 14.0 car to the finish line just by reaction time. Unless you're interested in bracket racing, i wouldnt worry about r/t at all though, just do what you gotta do to get your car down the track.

However, if you are interested in bracket racing, i'd be glad to help ya out
yes i agree but you are a seasoned racer with many years of experence as well as many final rounds and wins the direction i was trying to make and i guess i missed was why learn different things from the start that will confuse a new driver 5 tenth pro tree is the same as footbrake standard tree if you are focusing on the bottom bulb maybe i am wrong but we were taught to bottom bulb race before delay boxes and you more than most know how differcult it is no matter how you try jz
Old 04-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #20
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
yes i agree but you are a seasoned racer with many years of experence as well as many final rounds and wins the direction i was trying to make and i guess i missed was why learn different things from the start that will confuse a new driver 5 tenth pro tree is the same as footbrake standard tree if you are focusing on the bottom bulb maybe i am wrong but we were taught to bottom bulb race before delay boxes and you more than most know how differcult it is no matter how you try jz

i agree with you to a point, but a lot of guys have the misconception (especially the first time they run) that a poor r/t somehow messes up their ET, which of course it doesnt. My point was, rather than worry about reaction time, concentrate instead on the actual launch and making the best run instead of maybe botching a run because you want the best light. Most people here are after the best times, and couldn't care less about either consistancy OR r/t. Of course, there's the few that do care, but for the most part, they just wanna get down the track.

btw, how do you know i'm a seasoned racer? do i know you?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #21
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Gotta set this straight a bit... the RPMs from which you can launch will cary from car to car. With an auto and street tires the general idea is to know where (in terms of RPM when you're holding the brake and gas, like doing a burnout) the car will spin the tires and launch from a few hundred RPMs below that.

Also the D instead of [D] thing... doesn't matter. Shifting into 4th during the 1/4 mile is bad since 4th gear is overdrive and has a less than 1:1 ratio and will basically slow you down. But, you won't be shifting into 4th... at least shouldn't be. That is all that keeping the shifter in D will do... it'll prevent 4th from being shifted into, it will just hold out 3rd.

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #22
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva
i agree with you to a point, but a lot of guys have the misconception (especially the first time they run) that a poor r/t somehow messes up their ET, which of course it doesnt. My point was, rather than worry about reaction time, concentrate instead on the actual launch and making the best run instead of maybe botching a run because you want the best light. Most people here are after the best times, and couldn't care less about either consistancy OR r/t. Of course, there's the few that do care, but for the most part, they just wanna get down the track.

btw, how do you know i'm a seasoned racer? do i know you?
YES I AM ONE OF THE GEESERS YOU KNOW ME, MYSELF AND MY SON MARC HAVE BEEN COMING TO ISLAND FOR YEARS HE HAS A VERY SHARP RED 68 NOVA AND LAST YEAR I PUT TOGETHER AN 79 F BODY ALSO RED FOOT BRAKE CAR
Old 04-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #23
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
YES I AM ONE OF THE GEESERS YOU KNOW ME, MYSELF AND MY SON MARC HAVE BEEN COMING TO ISLAND FOR YEARS HE HAS A VERY SHARP RED 68 NOVA AND LAST YEAR I PUT TOGETHER AN 79 F BODY ALSO RED FOOT BRAKE CAR
now you're gonna make me think and try to figure out who you are

sorry about the hijack.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey