Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
SeanC

Opti Replacement Help

Hey guys,

I was driving my car a few weeks ago and all of a sudden it started cutting out as soon as I got anywhere above 2000 RPMs...then it eventually just completely died and wont start again. My opti is the original (110,000 miles), so I think its time to replace it...

I'm planning on replacing the opti with a acdelco replacement from summit, as well as a stock replacement waterpump. What else would you guys suggest replacing while im down there? Should I replace my timing chain? I was thinking of replacing it with a LT4 heavy duty set since im staying with a mechanical pump, but am a little scared of having to pull the crank pully and drop the pan. I definitly have an oil leak coming from somewhere...just not sure where yet (maybe the timing cover?).

Is there anything im forgetting? Heres the list of parts:

ACDelco Opti
ACDelco Waterpump
Waterpump gasket
LT4 heavy-duty timing chain (if I decide to replace)
Timing chain cover gasket

Its only a bolt on car, but i'm planning on racing it until the engine blows and I can build something better haha

This is my first time digging in to this part of my car, so i'm a little unsure of what to expect. Everyones help would be greatly appreciated!
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Opti seal and water pump seal while you are in there.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
SeanC

The new waterpump/opti don't come with new seals?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Before you do the opti I'd chek the coil and wires. A bad Coil or coil wire can act like a bad opti.

If the engine is stock I would just go with a stock replacement timig chain. The original lasted 110K right? Why spend the extra $ if you not high reving the engine?

There are 3 seals in the timing cover, Crank seal, Opti ad Wter pump, you want to replace them all if you are going to do the timing chain. if not, leave the crank hub on and leave the seal if it's not the leaker. More often the Oti ot W seal is the leaker.

You'll need a 3-finger puller to seperate the balancer from the hub to get the opti off. and a Y-type puller to get the hub off he crank. Shoebox's site should have all the details.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Check the opti harness, they like to corrode.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
greenformula92

when i did the opti in car last year i also did the harness....got the harness from http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 06-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
mandinggo01

the opti harness is the cheapest from efi conection http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...ngineType.aspx
mandinggo01 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning