Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #101
NightRydaSS

the end result is; as long as this is a "game" there will be ppl who will do what they have to in order to "win" (think Game Genie for all game consols). They will "cheat" and buy stickers, make their own (i have seen some sad looking stickers), and ect. The end result, the state makes no money on it. Granted, they make money on fines they give to ppl, but how many ppl do you think they really catch? When you take into account how how many ppl drive their "illegal" cars regularly? The state could have a 'ish load of money from ppl who want to "legally" mod their cars and who don't want to "cheat" if they don't have too. Everyone wins.

this is the same argument you can give on legalizing drugs and taxing them; ppl are going to do what they want so you might as well regulate it, bla bla bla.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #102
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRydaSS View Post
o no doubt. just like "collector" registration, i believe you have to be 25. I'm all for that, and agree.

Im not sayin we wouldn't have to "work" with the state, im fully understand that we will have to give and take a lil with that we would want.

i just seem like right now the state is just "taking" and not "giving" to everyone. In other words; If NJ wants to give special privledges to certain car enthusiest, they should at least try to appeal to all car enthusiest. Granted there will be some off the wall request that they can't honor, but it just seems like they are againts "hot rodders" and tryin to make it harder for ppl who enjoy this hobby to, well enjoy it. Kinda strange since NJ has a multitude of race tracks and is know for this kinda sport (as well as wheelin).
Yeah, but as I stated above- they do not have to do anything for anybody. And they also need to be in line with federal laws. As an example, removing a cat is a federal violation, not state. So if your car came with cats, you have to have them according to the federal government.

Historic reg is in place so that we can save history. Things like Model A's, WWII jeeps, etc bring historical value to the table, like a rolling museum. There is obvious good that comes from keeping them on the road.

I'm curious- what good do you think would come from a "limited use" registration from the state's point of view? (Aside from if they make registration $500 or something to increase revenue)
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #103
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I'm curious- what good do you think would come from a "limited use" registration from the state's point of view? (Aside from if they make registration $500 or something to increase revenue)
Now you're talking. Make it $1000 and a 2000 or 3000 annual mile limit. Make some $$!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #104
NightRydaSS

I guess; just that. They could make money on it. I don't want to bring drugs into this, but it might help prove my point....

Drugs are illegal, everyone knows it, but, ppl still do it. there has been a "war on drugs" since when, ever? it is still illegal, ppl still do, and jails get over crowed. They send soldiers over to Columbia to fight the cartels, they die; and, drugs are still illegal, and ppl still do it. Some say if you legalize drugs and regulate them / tax them you can make them "safer" (i use that term a loosly as possible) and make money on them. Just like they do with Alcohol and tabaco and firearms. ppl dies from drunk drivers, smoking gives u cancer and ppl use guns to kill ppl.

now, you might ask, "should we legalize anything just b/c ppl want to do it, what about societies safety?". No, but ppl who choose not to do drugs don't not do them b/c they r illegal. ur not going to create more drug users if u "legalize" them and tax them.

Ppl will do what they want to do, weather you say it is illegal or not. certain things can't bend, like legalizing the killing of other ppl. But you you can't stop ppl from using drugs, so you might as well tax it. the government can't control every aspect of your life.

I'm getting off topic, my point is ppl will mod their cars. end of story. they will also drive them weather they pass inspection or not. The State would make soooooo much money b/c ppl will pay what they have to in order to do it 'legally". Now as far as regulation, i agree totally. CATS, mufflers, seatbelts, tire regulations (no slicks or anything unsafe, ect), age requirement, mileage limit, ect. ppl will agree to it. If u agree with the rules and regulations you can do it, I'f not it is reg inspection and reg for you. you won't have as many "illegal" cars as you think b/c not everyone has 2 cars that they use and keep one of them a limited use. Limiting the usage lowers pollution of the "hot rods". You get caught with a car that doesn't pass inspection b/c you modded it when YOU HAVE THE OPTION of getting "hot rod" reg, them it is a stiffer penalty. Age limit lowers the number of cars total. Even saying you have to be 25 to own or OPERATE a limited use car gets rid of the possibility of daddy registring the car for his son who is 17.

the end result, everyone is happy. no more illegal cars, no more ppl getting fined and bitching about it, and the state makes a boat load of money which is all they want anyways.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #105
maroman88
12 Second Club

wats wrong with daddy registering cars for the kids? my dad always has and still does, you think i could afford my own insurance on 2 cars while in college and working part time?? yea thatd be nice. i pay my own insurance but its on his policy and the cars are all in his name. and whats it matter how old a person driving a limited use car is? its still limited use and ya still gotta play by the rules
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #106
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
wats wrong with daddy registering cars for the kids? my dad always has and still does, you think i could afford my own insurance on 2 cars while in college and working part time?? yea thatd be nice. i pay my own insurance but its on his policy and the cars are all in his name. and whats it matter how old a person driving a limited use car is? its still limited use and ya still gotta play by the rules
Not a problem at all unless there is an age limit to drive the car. Then it's fraud.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #107
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

It took a while to find but I found their definition of street rod.

Quote:
“Street rod” is a registered modified antique automobile manufactured before 1949.

Source: 39:3-27.3; 39:3-27.15; 39:3-27.27.
So there isn't really a "hot rod" or modern modified designation. That's something that would probably be a good idea for the state. Come up with a designation for a modified vehicle with limited mileage so it can be driven on occasions or back and forth to "events". NJ would have to make some money on this special designation for them to even consider doing it so something like a $50 or $100 registration fee might get them to actually consider it.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #108
mtnhopper1

THis guy is noted as the contact person for questions related to MVC proposals. I'm not sure if he's the guy to talk to about compelling new proposals, but he is listed on existing proposals. The title sure sounds like he's the right guy.

Steven E. Robertson, Director, Legal, Legislative, and Regulatory Affairs, Motor Vehicle Commission, 225 East State Street, P.O. Box 162, Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0162

Also, there is a public meeting on the second Tuesday of the month in Trenton. It's probably for public comments on existing proposals, but if someone will be around and has the time, they may be able to ask around to find out how to get the MVC to consider new proposals. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/About/PublicMeetings.htm
Heartbeat City
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I'm a dick, you're a dick, we're all a bunch of dicks!!!

Last edited by mtnhopper1; 10-23-2007 at 05:49 PM.
mtnhopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #109
Teds89IROC

Just got back from DMV to renew my voucher. I was worried with all this new crap I'd get hassled but nope! If the car was already established as a collector vehicle prior to this past september then you're fine.
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #110
Fast92RS
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds89IROC View Post
Just got back from DMV to renew my voucher. I was worried with all this new crap I'd get hassled but nope! If the car was already established as a collector vehicle prior to this past september then you're fine.
Thats good to here. Im glad I did mine in July.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #111
Iroc-z86

YES that is the best news today i did mine in june this whole government is starting to be gay, taking away from the little guy and giving to the big guys who dont need it.

2011 Camaro - 2lt/rs red jewel tincoat, m6 - SOLD

2014 Camaro SS - bolt ons

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #112
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds89IROC View Post
I figured that was the case. But thanks for letting us know, Ted!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #113
maroman88
12 Second Club

screwww youu guys!!! lol
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #114
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Damm that sucks for when I eventually get my car haha. Now if I buy the Camaro off my dad does that mean since its grandfathered in it will be OK?
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #115
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I'm going to steal the sticker from Ted
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #116
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
Damm that sucks for when I eventually get my car haha. Now if I buy the Camaro off my dad does that mean since its grandfathered in it will be OK?
I doubt it, if you re title it you will get new plates and a new registration.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #117
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Yea that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #118
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

well, ive had mine as a collector car for 5 years now, hope they dont start making this harder, for everybody. when i first registered mine i got alot of grief from the guys at the inspection station cause the car was not painted, never had a problem since.
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 05-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge