Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
z28rob18

chassis shops in NJ?

hey im lookin for a chassis shop near me or just in nj or near by in pa. i need a 10pt chromoly cage in my 95 camaro. dont need it done till sometime in april but i need a few quotes. if there's any chassis shop owners on here that could pm me a quote that'd be GREAT!!

stroker build this winter
z28rob18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Our sponsor TTP does custom roll bar and roll cage fabrication. Click the link on the right--->

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
vegaken
9 Second Club

You can try Ed Quay. They did my cage in my car and put in the frame connectors. The work is top quality and will not be done any nicer by anybody. An example would be the points that are mounted to the floor. The plates are contoured to the floor. Where the sub frame connectors go through the floor there is a plate welded to the floor and the connector is welded to that plate as well. The bar is tucked up way out of the way and there is great visability in the car. The only cage that I have seen done as well was done by Bob Kasper out of his shop. Between Ed Quay and Kasper there will not be anyone else doing chassis work on my car. The price up at Ed Quay is not cheap at all. But you do get what you pay for in the quality and the time the car is up there.
I had my car back within the month and he told me up front that he scheduled two cars in during the time when I brought the car up to him. So he had it done in two weeks time. If you want to race this year take the car to Quay and you will have it back in no time.
Let me know if you have any questions with his stuff.
Ken

Bammann Racing small block N/A
Doug Nash 5 speed
Stock supsension
vegaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
z28rob18

thanks for all that. im just finding out that this cage install is far from cheap. but its gotta be done right?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28rob18 View Post
thanks for all that. im just finding out that this cage install is far from cheap. but its gotta be done right?
Make sure you're getting quoted for a roll BAR not a roll CAGE. There's a big difference and the bar is needed at 11.49, cage not til 9.99 in most cases
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
z28rob18

i need a cage not a bar. but thanks. i no my sig says 13.1 but the car has made a COMPLETE change and feel with the motor were building 9s r in reach.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Or so you hope
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
i need a cage not a bar. but thanks. i no my sig says 13.1 but the car has made a COMPLETE change and feel with the motor were building 9s r in reach.
oh ok, common mistake that I see here is bar being mistaken for cage. Anyhow, spend good money on it, the cage could save your life one day. You're gonna spend a lot more than money on a cage though. Belts, full faced helmet, neck collar, jacket, gloves, I believe parachute unless they reduced the et on, as well as your license. If you're building a 9 sec car, the money on a cage is peanuts in comparison.

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 02-18-2009 at 09:27 PM.
79CamaroDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
mc73nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
oh ok, common mistake that I see here is bar being mistaken for cage. Anyhow, spend good money on it, the cage could save your life one day. You're gonna spend a lot more than money on a cage though. Belts, full faced helmet, neck collar, jacket, gloves, I believe parachute unless they reduced the et on, as well as your license. If you're building a 9 sec car, the money on a cage is peanuts in comparison.
Very true. I have a mid 10 second car and still put a 10 point cage in it. No pricetag for life.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
z28rob18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
Or so you hope
yes i do really hope but id be satisfied for the time with low 10s.

and i understand on the whole safety thing. i have to get a few extra things not cuz nhra rules but because dads rules. and i have already noticed the money thing for building a car this fast 6k and we havent touched the motor

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
i have to get a few extra things not cuz nhra rules but because dads rules.
i have a redundant braking system on my car because of dad's rules. Also ordered a HANS for this season because I like walking. Dad's rules have also gradually stepped me up from street car to 10 sec door car to low 9 sec dragster, down to mid 8s, high 7s, finally to mid-7s. With the right money you can build any car you want, but there's no price tag on experience, and I would gladly spend more money on safety than performance any day.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
z28rob18

my dads a bit crazy he wants me to get a hans device. but i told him hes crazy a neck roll should be fine for high 9s

Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
my dads a bit crazy he wants me to get a hans device. but i told him hes crazy a neck roll should be fine for high 9s
I'm getting one because there was a guy this year running a 10 sec car that hit the guard rail at an odd angle and fractured his c4, is now quadrapalegic. That's why I say I like walking. $600 is worth it to me.

I'm not trying to say that happens to everyone. May never happen again, but I know shtt can happen at any speed

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 02-20-2009 at 12:46 AM.
79CamaroDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

The latest, better than HANS, http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/

Got to see it and try it on at PRI when they debuted it. It is a night and day difference in comfort to the HANS.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
z28rob18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
The latest, better than HANS, http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/

Got to see it and try it on at PRI when they debuted it. It is a night and day difference in comfort to the HANS.
wow thats pretty nice. so u guys/girls dont think it'd be to much to wear a hans device or that even in a car runnin high 9s. (if i meet my goal) i wouldnt want to look lik a idiot at the track.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
wow thats pretty nice. so u guys/girls dont think it'd be to much to wear a hans device or that even in a car runnin high 9s. (if i meet my goal) i wouldnt want to look lik a idiot at the track.
no. you may not see many people doing it yet, but they will be. don't worry about what other people think either
Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
z28rob18

Quote:
no. you may not see many people doing it yet, but they will be. don't worry about what other people think either
im not usually the kind that cares what anyone thinks. thanks for all the comments on it all. i have a ton of safety things to buy but i need to finish the car first the project is draggin out a bit cuz ive had to spend more money on things that arent related to the car. i started workin 70hr weeks to try and get this done soon.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
79CamaroDiva

Quote:
im not usually the kind that cares what anyone thinks. thanks for all the comments on it all. i have a ton of safety things to buy but i need to finish the car first the project is draggin out a bit cuz ive had to spend more money on things that arent related to the car. i started workin 70hr weeks to try and get this done soon.
i hear that. All my stuffs out. Cars at the chassis shop, engine and trans are at their respective builders.. track opens next sunday and i'm not gonna have a car I'm "working" two jobs (one is for family, one is my own business, hence the quotes) and my 3rd is starting next week again. The faster you go, the more expensive it gets, but I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose.

Good luck this season!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
The only way to look stupid involving safety equipment is not having it when things go wrong.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
camaroAL
10 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
The only way to look stupid involving safety equipment is not having it when things go wrong.
well said!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I have never owned a real fast car and I have never driven anything faster than mid 10's, but I have been going to all kinds of tracks since I was a kid. I have seen guys break their neck with a glancing blow at 90mph(Chuck Buckman at Bridgeport Speedway) and I have seen them walk away from back flipping a top fuel dragster(Eddie Hill). Anything can happen at any time and that is a fact that no one can deny.

It always makes me nuts when guys cut corners with safety, especially on cheap stuff. Hell, look at CBRRMike, his car isn't amazingly fast or powerful, but that DS loop turned out to be a hell of a purchase didn't it.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
It always makes me nuts when guys cut corners with safety, especially on cheap stuff. Hell, look at CBRRMike, his car isn't amazingly fast or powerful, but that DS loop turned out to be a hell of a purchase didn't it.
it was free its attached to the tq arm

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #23
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

PRO FAB
they are up central/north jersey, 5 ins off of exit 24 on rt 78.. whitehall station

they build pro cars, race cars, full tube cars, roll cages, etc..

i think tehy have a website

im at work now, but if you need thier phone number or website, PM me and i wil get back to you

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #24
z28rob18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87IROCmadman View Post
PRO FAB
they are up central/north jersey, 5 ins off of exit 24 on rt 78.. whitehall station

they build pro cars, race cars, full tube cars, roll cages, etc..

i think tehy have a website

im at work now, but if you need thier phone number or website, PM me and i wil get back to you
thanks for that info but i decided at the time i just dont hav the money to have a shop do it. so im goin to hav to go MS and hav my friend weld it up for me. he's a pro and has his own shop but only has a mig welder at home and if he tig welded a chromoly at the shop id hav to pay. so ill suffer the 45lbs extra.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech