Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #26
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudnj View Post
i got a question also do you guys let car sit for winter as not starting it or do you start it time to time and clean it i got a car cover but mine would sit outside so im not sure what to do incase of snow this will be first season with this car and i dont want to drive it in snow...i got myself a jeep before this car so i got that to drive but just wondering on how to prep for snow if we even get any this year.
Garages ftw. I start it and drive around every nice day I get.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcrazy View Post
....Got stuck in front of my own house several times on just an inch or more of snow. Same went for my older fbodies. ......... Get some 15 in rims with studded snow tires for your rear. That will push you through anything lol.
Exactly. Snow tires make all the difference in the world. IMO, no need for studs in NJ, not enough ice.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post

dont puss out!
your car in the pic wasn't driven let alone cleaned off. Weaksauce.

I drove my 91 for years all year long. No traction control or ABS sissy crap. Weak ass motor, stick shift and posi rear.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #29
NastyEllEssWon

lol that pic was pre cleaned off. it was just this year. i have other pics of it in my broken digital camera i cant get out

but yeah i drive my fbodies in the snow
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #30
BonzoHansen
Admin.

IMO a beater is preferable to driving a camaro in the snow. Simply due to road salt, if no other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
It comes down to 100 bucks for snow tires (3.23 gears, mid 300s WHP) or $1000+ for a mid 90s Cherokee...
what would you guys do here? I'm very on the fence
Where are you getting 2, no less the highly suggested 4, new snow tires for $100? Try $500+.

If another DD is not an option, then get 4 beater wheels, 16s if you can, and do 4 mounted snows. Much easier than mount/dismount/balance twice a year, and cheaper if you use them a few years. Little G is on the money, go 4 and go narrower. Maybe 235/55/16 or something, I'd have to look. Why 4? Balance. With rear snows only it'll push like a bitch in the wet and oversteer in the dry. It will be even worse if the tires are also skinnier in the rear.

All season tires are poor compromises that do everything OK but nothing well.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #31
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

personally Mike, it would depend on how badly you need to be where you are trying to go. for example, i as a commuter (actually I still am) and it snowed one day i had an exam. Rutgers doesn't close, ever. I got stuck. I dug and dug and eventually made it, but any normal car would have made it. granted I still had summer tires on (this was early December!) but I still wouldn't take that chance again, especially now in grad school. that is how my old isuzu happened.

In any event, take that in to consideration. Before I commuted and had no where to be, it was easy sufficing with all-seasons even. Even now that my school is close enough to walk, I put tires on my saturn that supposedly sacrifice snow prowess for dry and rain handling. its all about the driving style you do. But then again, my camaro now has a big cam, gears, and a ridiculous clutch that would make snow driving a chore. cars that are closer to stock are much easier to deal with.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #32
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Think about it this way. If you have 4 snow tires on another set of wheels, you'll want them on if the forecast is for snow. But the other 95% of the time when it's dry or rain the car will drive like crap with the snow tires and you'll want to put the stock wheels/tires back on. Just do a search on here to see how many people bounced off a curb or got into a fender bender trying to drive in bad weather. The LS1 with an A4 is not good at all in the snow. If you do $1000 worth of damage and jack up your insurance then the beater 4x4 is a better solution. Or just find a friend with 4x4 when it snows or stay home.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Also note good summer tires normally suck <50* outside

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Also note good summer tires normally suck <50* outside
Yes, when most 275/40/17 tires are <30 degrees they tend to be rock hard and spin easily on cold, dry pavement let alone cold, snowy pavement. And they act like taboggans as they sit on top of the snow. 315's are even more fun!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #35
miketa95

I drove my 95 daily in any weather to and from school (marlton to philly) daily. I had 4 season tires, and I can think of two situations where that car met snow and it was bad. One was that it began snowing in the morning and they decided to let us out at like 1:30, so my entire ride home was a mess. The car would not stay straight over 30mph. I remeber going over the ben franklin scared to death. Then the next day, they decided to have school, even though they dont plow the streets in philly. I was unaware of this, so I drove to school and as soon as i got onto a back city street with a slight hill my car stopped and started going backwards. Def. never drove in any snow after that. Rain was bad enough, Def. would go for the cherokee. Plus it's nice to have a beater for other occasions as well.
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #36
91chevywt

yes the benefits of having a beater are great...just besides the fact you'd be much better off in the snow. You would actually have space to carry things, not have to swerve potholes and bumps, the list goes on. If you list it as your DD it will cut the insurance cost of your f-body.

cherokee, s10 blazer, exploder, bronco, there are plenty models out there i'm sure you could find a decent ride for a grand.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge