Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
vipergtx500

E brake adjustment

For the past couple months I've needed to pull my e-brake pretty high for it to catch and sometimes when i'd get in the car after it had been sitting for awhile and I put the clutch down the car would slowly start to roll, it would only take one click of the ebrake to keep it stationary again so it was barely loosing grip. Today when I went to pull it up it was very hard to pull and it only went up a few inches. It is much tighter now and very hard to pull, but it still holds the car (hopefully) it just doesn't make any sense to me I didn't adjust anything. I also noticed an electrical burning smell before I got out of the car but couldn't locate where it was coming from, not sure if it's related but they happened at the same time. Anyone have this happen to them before and/or know how to fix it?

1996 Firebird Formula M6 Black/Ebony
K&N CAI, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, MGW Short Shifter, DMH cutout, UMI STB and SFC's, LS1 Front Brakes, Tune by Madtuner

1995 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - Stock...for now
vipergtx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://shbox.com/1/adjparkingbrake.jpg

i would be weary of that electrical smell. if it is only smelt inside the car, i would do my best to isolate it and correct it. if its outside, possibly your parking brake is hanging up now and you are smelling really hot brakes.

give your rear brakes a good look too, see if they aren't worn out funny.

hope this helps some.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

along with what sweetbmx said, pull your calipers apart and lube the slider pins.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech