Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
That's good. At least you have some idea of where you need to be. J.R. Gottlieb's Big Red Camaro instantly jumped to my brain too. His original power plant was a Lingenfelter prepped all aluminum 540 I think.

What kind of suspension work is done? Lowered?

Peace
When it is all said and done the AMX will be lowered with a custom Carrera coil over shock set up in the front, tubular control arms [when I can find someone to build the dayum things], Addco front and rear sway bars, Carrera adjustable shocks in the rear, and composite leaf springs in the rear. I will also be playing heavily w/ the aero, and have already fabricated a front carbon fiber splitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I was curious what it would take to push the AMX through the air at 200 mph. So I did some searching and found this:

A calculator for determining the HP to push a vehicle at a given speed.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/auto.html In the left hand column is a formula "Aerodynamic and Rolling HP Loss Calculation" So after looking up the width and height of a 70 AMX here http://www.amx-perience.com/pdf/1970...onsBooklet.pdf and doing some math I estimated the frontal area of the car to be (71.57"x51.20")=3664.384 sq. in. Divide that by 144 and you get sq. ft. = 25.447. The web pages says to mulitply the calculated frontal area by 0.85 to account for rounded edges etc. The curb weight is about 3350lbs.

So I plugged in 0.44 as the coeffiecent of drag (per the chart for a 60's muscle car medium drag, on the web site), a frontal area of 21.63 (0.85x25.447), tire inflation at 35lbs, curb weight of 3350 and left all the other parameters set to default and set a speed of 200 mph.

This generated:

Input Parameters Are the Following:

* Coefficient of drag = 0.44
* Frontal Area = 21.63 sq feet
* Test Temperature = 70.00 degrees F
* Test Barometer = 30.00 inches Hg
* Vehiche MPH = 200

Computation Results:
Air Density Computed is 0.00233

Aerodynamic "Drag Factor" is 0.02386

Rolling "Drag Factor" is 80.21060

# Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 509
# Computed Rolling Horsepower Required is 143
# Computed Frontal Lift Force is 166 Lbs.

If you play with the Coeffiecent of drag and use 0.38 (60's muscle car low drag) instead of 0.44 the power required drops to about 600hp.

So it looks like you need to make about 650 hp to pull this off UBG.....assuming the inputs are reasonably close????? I'd guess that number might be on the conservative side, so shoot for 700hp just to be sure. It would suck to do all this work and only go 198 mph.......

I thought this was interesting, might be completely wrong, but interesting
That's some good stuff, man! Thanks for posting it! And yeah, it would suck to "only" go 198 MPH! lol. But after pow-wowing with my engine builder this weekend he committed to over 700 HP. And that was before any beers. After a few we were up to about 820 HP...lol

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning