Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
HardcoreZ28

Need some T5 info

Hey guys....I'm thinking of throwing a T5 from a V6 S10 behind a 350 in my new truck when the time comes. I'm using the S10 version because of the shifter placement...it's way forward on the trans and perfect for what I'm doing.

Are the clutches on those hydraulic or mechanical linkages? Also any ideas what bellhousing I may want to use? I believe the f-body one actually turns the tranny slightly sideways to clear the floorpan of the car.

Any other T5 info would be greatly appreciated.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
V
Stalker

yes, the f body bellhousing has i think its a 15degree tilt towards the pass side.

im not sure if the v6 t5s are setup with the same internals of a v8 one.
also there are wold-class T5s, and non-world class.
i believe WC started in 1988 and later. And i think it has to do with the types of bushings and wear items inside the trans.

with a little work, you should be able to move the shifter location, not exactly sure how though, its gotta be possible at some skill level

and you can use a 3rd gen hydraulic clutch setup, but forget about using standard LT headers.
mechanical is also possible, like Steve has in his TPI monte. im not sure which bellhousing he used, i went hydraulic in my monte.

Last edited by V; 01-26-2010 at 07:51 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
The Fixer

RPM Paul, I think you'd need at least a T5 from a 4.3L S-truck, and that truck's bellhousing/hydraulic setup, since the bolt pattern on the bellhousing will mate to an SBC. I know the F-body T5 has the tilted bellhousing, but that's so the trans mount can still be horizontal; I'm not sure if the truck T5 bolts straight-up in the front.

If the truck T5 mounts straight-up in front, you can bolt it to an old-school bellhousing and use mechanical linkage, but I think you want hydraulics in your case. Since you're adapting an SBC into a vehicle that didn't come with one, I'm sure you'll run into fitment/packaging issues with exhaust, and the hydraulic clutch setup is much easier to deal with in that aspect. Then you'll just need to figure out what clutch/flywheel assembly you'll need. For more swap info, check out www.5speeds.com - hope we helped you out some!

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
HardcoreZ28

Thanks Steve. The trans Chris has is actually an NV3500 and may be better for the power I plan to run. It's also a hydraulic setup and should bolt right up to any sbc.

Exhaust issues?? Haha...this is gonna have zoomies or lake pipes right out the side of the hood area!

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline