Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #26
Knipps

Reading through the thread all I was thinking was HHR SS. It definitely seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for. Of the the ones you listed though, I'd say Mini or Mazda. I've always wanted to drive a Mini and throw it around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Teds89IROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipps View Post
Reading through the thread all I was thinking was HHR SS. It definitely seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for. Of the the ones you listed though, I'd say Mini or Mazda. I've always wanted to drive a Mini and throw it around
my thoughts exactly
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #28
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyAntz View Post
Out of those cars I think the GTI is pretty sharp.
Any particular reason? I need factual statements! You are picking a car that everyone in this thread said was crap. What's your thinking?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #29
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds89IROC View Post
my thoughts exactly
But it looks like a big WAGON, and I dunno if it will go around turns without flipping over. I'm particularly scared of SUV for that very reason
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #30
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
But it looks like a big WAGON, and I dunno if it will go around turns without flipping over. I'm particularly scared of SUV for that very reason
But it's low! and you can go even lower. I haven't flipped my 05 Dakota yet (almost) so I don't think you'll have a problem flipping the HHR

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #31
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
I believe Ms Diva loves her HHR. If hauling is your thing.

Of that list the Mini or the Suby is where I'd look first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
OHHHH YEAH!! **** how did I forget it!!
HHR SS!! 220hp with the auto, 260 with the manual. You can get all the same things from the Cobalt on the HHR including the big Brems and suspension. You can also get the optional digital display to show a bunch of info. I got to play with it at Indy, very cool!!!

Absolutely! And I also didn't like the HHR when it was first mentioned. Now I can't believe I didn't originally consider it. And the HHR SS has AMAZING reviews from people that own it. Steve was even considering one when we were looking at mine, if he could get an HHR SS Panel. I just wish it was in AWD, that would be the only thing that I would trade mine in for. The amount of storage in this thing is ridiculous.

Quote:
what it looks liek and what it drives like are very different. It's the same exact platform as the Cobalt, so it handles like one.

I also would suggest looking at Saturn's Astra. I loved it when I drove it. The HHR edged it out just a little bit because of storage room, but its a very nice looking, great driving car. Jerk0ff j0n just got one.

Last edited by 79CamaroDiva; 01-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.
79CamaroDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
Absolutely! And I also didn't like the HHR when it was first mentioned. Now I can't believe I didn't originally consider it. And the HHR SS has AMAZING reviews from people that own it. Steve was even considering one when we were looking at mine, if he could get an HHR SS Panel. I just wish it was in AWD, that would be the only thing that I would trade mine in for. The amount of storage in this thing is ridiculous.
I'm not sure if he didn't get one because they didn't make one, but they do now!

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

the air intake duct comes from down under. also they run pricey to repair.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #34
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
the air intake duct comes from down under. also they run pricey to repair.
I was looking into this and it seems like:
1. the problem was only with the base mini (non-S)
2. it wasn't that often
3. they were having the problem years ago, maybe something's been done about it by now?

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #35
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
well i have seen many cases where people drove mini's through big puddles and seized the engine. i would stay away. the intake is designed to perfectly suck up a bucket full no problem. like jeff was saying, vw's seem to be hit or miss. when they miss, they cost most money. can't say anything against the mazda or dodge and of course the subaru is butt looking but the drive train holds up great and the stock bottom end can handle good boost. all wheel is always a plus!
BMW 540s had that issue when they 1st arrived. IIRC the intake was down near the RF wheel. It seems there is no water in germany. ...I digress....

I'll add to my comments. I said Sub because of my experience in the bays, but that's pushing 8 years ago now. They were good cars. VW & Mazda ran hot or cold (total crap or great), Mits as well. I hate chryslers, you can keep them. I think the same idiots that thought aluminum home wiring was a good idea wires chryslers on the side. Minis didn't exist, but they look like fun to drive.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #36
CamaroGirlie

my brother was gonna pick up a Mini Copper S but he couldnt fit in the car. He is 6'3" and 180 pounds...so if youre tall it prolly wouldnt be a good idea.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #37
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirlie View Post
my brother was gonna pick up a Mini Copper S but he couldnt fit in the car. He is 6'3" and 180 pounds...so if youre tall it prolly wouldnt be a good idea.
Strange. I fit fine at 6'3 235. But not in the back, that's for sure.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #38
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirlie View Post
I'm 6' 4" and ~240lbs and I fit in my friend's '05 Mini S great.

Vitals - I would definitely grab the new Mini S. They are quick little cars, have a pretty good ride, and handle like they are on rails. Don't bother with any of the JCW upgrades though - way overpriced.

As for the comments about them not dealing with snow well....I can imagine they wouldn't with the low profile summer tires most of them wear, but my friend has driven his through plenty of snow on a set of snow tires that he has on the stock wheels and it's a nice stable ride without any surprises when driven in a reasonable manner.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #39
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I'm 6' 4" and ~240lbs and I fit in my friend's '05 Mini S great.

Vitals - I would definitely grab the new Mini S. They are quick little cars, have a pretty good ride, and handle like they are on rails. Don't bother with any of the JCW upgrades though - way overpriced.

As for the comments about them not dealing with snow well....I can imagine they wouldn't with the low profile summer tires most of them wear, but my friend has driven his through plenty of snow on a set of snow tires that he has on the stock wheels and it's a nice stable ride without any surprises when driven in a reasonable manner.

- Justin
I was just gonna post that I know some tall people who have sat in the Mini and had no problems. But I'm 6' and 185 pounds so I do not foresee a problem.

Wasn't gonna bother w/ factory upgrades at this point, if...err, when I mod it I'll do it on my own
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
TronsBird

mini or wrx

senior year, woo.
TronsBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #41
miketa95

Why does everyone like minis...
Their so fugly.
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
Mike
BadMod

about the gti, appearance is a matter of opinion, but i hate the current body style. and although i like vw, i wouldn't want to own one since its warranty was up....parts and labor seems to be very expensive when things go wrong on vw's...

the mini, i like them but it dosent seem it would fit your requirement on space?

the caliber..... cheap interior, probably slowest of the group...and who knows where chrysler will be in a few years.......

mazda...they seem cool, but my sisters bf had a regular Mazda three and went through 3 engines before they called it a lemon and gave him something else, apparently they have a plastic collar that the oil filter mounts too, and if the person doing the oil change is not careful it can crack and cause oil to exit the engine....not good.

the hhr is built on the same platform as the cobalt, so you shouldnt have any rollover problems lol. but like dodge, who knows where gm will be in a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #43
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketa95 View Post
Why does everyone like minis...
Their so fugly.
Matter of an opinion, and is not what is being discussed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post

the caliber..... cheap interior, probably slowest of the group...and who knows where chrysler will be in a few years.......

the hhr is built on the same platform as the cobalt, so you shouldnt have any rollover problems lol. but like dodge, who knows where gm will be in a few years
The caliber has the most horsepower (285) out of the group, how is it the slowest? Does everyone know something I don't?

Rollover thing - its not really about HHR in particular. I just have this irrational fear of an SUV rolling over while I'm driving it. I drive my moms Caddy SRX and every time I drive it I think it will be the last time
Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #44
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Well it's time for me to sell my F-body and get something else. I was hoping to wait until graduation but one recent development has forced my hand. So my car is for sale (link in my sig) and I'm trying to research a fun to drive replacement.

I'm interested in them in this particular order (all new, no used):

Mini Cooper S
Dodge Caliber SRT-4
VW GTI
Subaru WRX
Mazda Speed 3

They are all in the same ball park, money wise, but I was wondering if you had any experience with any of them, or heard something bad/good, whatever. I want to know it all. If you have a car suggestion you can add it to the list, maybe I'll look at it.

Ok lets get to the talking part,

go go go
I only read a few replies but heres my .02.

The Mini is a BMW. Of what you mentioned that would be the top pick.

The Caliber IIRC is a SRT-4 Neon wrapped in a crappy interior/exterior. Horrible.

VAG is well... If you like elecrtical gremelins and or turbo problems thats the car for you.

The WRX is hideous, but reliable. But IMO you'll want to mod the piss out of it and its practicality will soon be thrown out the window.

Im on the fence with the Mazda. I hear stories almost as bad as the VW's. Me personally Id stay away.

Im kinda in the same boat you are and while Ill keep my 3rd gen , Im looking at the Cobalt SS like Al mentioned. Even the older Supercharged models are fun. Ive test drove both. The older SC SS's have the fun whine sound and are decently powered. GM also warranties the Stage 2 upgrade. They can boogie when needed. I will add that they do not feel fast but then again my Z feel like its stopped after 40 MPH but She turns numbers. Now the TC SS's. They're a whole new animal. The boost pillar gauge is replaced with an interactive LCD screen and they MOVE. IIRC they're good for a mid-high 13 sec pass out of the box. They come equipped with an optional LSD and the NO LIFT shift option (Pedal to the floor and shift away). The one I took out had 50 miles on it and I beat it like it owed me money. The Salesman was grabbing anything available and actually laughed at the end. They perform well and for the price... Its the best of all worlds. Mid-high 13's, 30 MPG and fun, fun fun!
NumberTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #45
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Cobalt SS have no mod future though. My friend has one, they are peppy. But other than a catback, there is no cheap mods to do. My .02cents.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #46
BigAls87Z28

Plenty of mods for the LNF. A turbo direct injected motor, there is so much its not funny.

The HHR sure isnt an SUV, and the SS sure wont give you the feeling of flipping over. Between the SS's suspension, power, and grip of the tires, there wont be any of that. I tried at Indy. Body stays FLAT through curves.
Give it a shot. My only quips about the HHR is the outward visability. Small and tall windows can bother some.

The Caliber's performance is great, but its handilng and ride falls behind cars like the Mazdaspeed 3, and HHR SS.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #47
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
Cobalt SS have no mod future though. My friend has one, they are peppy. But other than a catback, there is no cheap mods to do. My .02cents.
What mod future do people expect? The SC's have Stage 2 kits that are GM warrantied and Stage 3 kits. The SS can (And Im talking turbo) obviously accept a bigger turbo. There are CAI/WAI's and BOV's available and with the cat back... What more do people want? If the OP and "Owners" expect more, any machine shop can tailor a head, cam or whatever to suit their needs but its all about what they want to spend. No real mod worth any time is cheap...

Me personally If Im looking to throw 25K away at a new car, big mods arent in my future. If they were, then Id buy a car in my class with the performance I want.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #48
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Well take the fbod, for not that much you can go 11s. For a cobalt to go that fast, your looking at a lot of money. Thats all I was saying.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #49
TronsBird

cobalts are sick though

idk, wrx would be your best bet, apearently reliable, quick, great aftermarket, good resale

senior year, woo.
TronsBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #50
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

And with that, do not take the hit of a new car. Buy an older STI for 25K and mod/drive the snot out of it. Hell, dont take the hit of a new car period. 25K miles is WELL accepted as reasonably new, under warranty and full of fun.

Last edited by NumberTwo; 01-27-2009 at 08:19 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge