Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Question 3d printers? Anyone have one?

I have a few items that I'd like to design and produce and I am considering getting a very basic 3d printer. Looking to do basic abs, and no complex designs. I only started to consider this as of today so I know there is a ton to research for me to do but I was wondering if anyone here has one and could pass along their experiences. For the first item I'd like to print, I've already bought a solid block of ABS and I will be carving/machining it to the design. Its small, like 1.5" x 1.5" x 1". If that design fits the idea I'm going with, then I'd buy a 3d printer to make more.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:58 AM   #2
3.4 grape of wrath

I'm also interested in buying one. Recently I added a few 3d printers to my saved list in my amazon account but never pulled the trigger.
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
V
Stalker

I used the block of abs and a press mounted dremel and cheap compound table to mill out my design. Initial tests were positive so the need to make more was justified. Therefore, I finally broke down and bought one off amazon, a very basic one ($198 shipped after I saw they had a $20 off coupon), and a spool of black pla filament($21.00). The filament just arrived this morning, and the printer will be here by the end of the day. The other night I used freecad to draw up the item I want to print and it seems to look good. I then had to download a program called Cura, also free, to do all the magic converting stuff. Right now I have my object in the cura program and it shows how it will be printed in the 3d printed. Now once the printer arrives, I just need to assemble it and take it from there. Due to the nature of what I'm printing, just beginning the patent process, I won't be able to show finished photos. But ill be sure to show as much as I can as well as any other items I draw up or download and print.

Last edited by V; 04-17-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Sounds like it's going well so far, not surprising for you.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I'm curious what you're making especially since filing a patent is really expensive
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
V
Stalker

Still in the beginning stages and wifes good friend is a patent attorney. But as of now, I'm starting with a provisional patent and self filing. Starts around 900. Lawyer fees are what can get expensive. They also have lawyers who do pro bono depending on income( < 3X area poverty level)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
creeper

cool stuff!

I spent some time repairing and upgrading a super cheap (<$150) Prusa i3 that my friend bought and never really finished years ago. After I got it working it was pretty much limited to constantly printing upgrades and repair parts for itself but with more time I'm sure it could have been decent. A little while after that we got a Lulzbot Taz 4 and that thing was fantastic right out of the box. PLA is definitely more forgiving than ABS.

Either way it's a fun hobby since so much is open source. I have some experience with Arduino, slic3r, etc. (a few years ago now though..) if you hit any snags

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|

Last edited by creeper; 04-21-2021 at 09:45 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge