Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Does anyone have a cordless mower?

Our lawn mower had the housing crack where the front wheel attaches to it so it's days are numbered. I'm surprised because the deck looks to be rust free so the front metal section cracking is odd. It's at least 10 years old and it burns oil pretty bad. So I'm thinking about one of the cordless 60-80v battery powered mowers. I'm mainly tired of breathing in the fumes so why not try the battery ones. This summer we had some pretty tall grass with all the rain so it makes me wonder how much cutting I would really get out of 1 charge. I know I won't be able to cut both the front and back yards with a single battery but as long as I can make it through one and recharge the battery to do the other half later or the next day, I'm fine with it. The one I like right now is the Greenworks 80v 21" with the 4a battery. I don't really want self propelled because I change walking speed with the thicker areas and I've tried them before and it drove me crazy so why pay for a feature I won't use.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I have the exact mower with self propelled. With that battery, I can mow 10,000sqft of maintained lawn per charge. It will increase the rpms when the motor slows down in thick stuff. My lawn is level so I have no need for the self propelled function but it is adjustable and full speed is a brisk pace and slows down to a crawl. It’s a separate handle obviously so easy to engage or disengage. If you don’t want it, save the $100. The deck is metal FYI but I think metal has pros to a plastic deck that justify it. I love the 80v blower and I have seen the backpack style one in person and it seems great if you can justify the purchase. I also have the trimmer and it’s good, I just wish it was a little faster so it could easily handle a power rotary scissor attachment I have. Also have the 16” chainsaw and it’s been great for the little bit I need it.

Links to what I have. They offer different blowers and trimmers, these are the better ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N1...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DS...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CA...b_b_asin_title

I hope one day they release a 2 stage snow blower like Ego

https://egopowerplus.com/two-stage-snow-blower-snt2400/
Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
JL8Jeff

Thanks for the info. Is is still easy to push the mower like normal without using the self propelled? And how is the mowing height adjustment, I was reading that some of the cordless mowers can only adjust around 1" intervals which seems to be a pretty large gap. These tools seem pretty good, the real cost is in the 80v 4a batteries. The battery and the charger seem to go for around $250-280 so the tool itself is really not that expensive.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Easy to push, yes. The height is adjusted via a lever at the right rear wheel which makes for quick changes. I usually cut at 4 setting. It looks like it’s about .5”-.75” adjustment per setting. Highest is 3.75” I think? And lowest about .5”, good for clearing hard surfaces. Watch out for sales if you can wait or check Costco if you are a member. The battery does go on sale for a good discount but who knows with covid crap if that will ever happen.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00SSBL07U
Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
V
Stalker

I know its not the one you mentioned, but I have the kobalt 40V mower. Came with a 5.0a battery. It fit what i needed. I also got the matching 40v blower and trimmer set just to get the included 4.0a battery. With 2 batteries i can cut/trim/blow my whole yard, which isn't big though but i cut the front twice.

Electric is more convenient and quieter. I have a 36" scag mower that i used to use, but always needing to have gas, the noise, and moving it from one property to another, i got tired of it. I now can even mow my lawn after dinner, even like 8pm and still talk to someone while im doing it. It just does take longer now, being that i only got a 21" version.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The kobalt and greenworks batteries can be modded to work in the other brands’ tool if desired.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
JL8Jeff

I think the 60v or 80v ones would work well, the 40v would probably be fine too but it's almost like old technology at this point. And the other accessories to go with the battery you choose becomes a bigger choice than just the mower. I do have a Black and Decker 40v weed whacker and blower that works pretty good and it's 3-4 years old so I do like all the options available. This is good info guys. Lowes has the Greenworks 21" 80v 4a mower with battery and charger on sale for $399 which really looks like a decent deal. It's not self propelled but I don't need that.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #8
V
Stalker

Yes the 40v is very basic but I didn't know how I'd like it so I went with the cheapest reasonable option. I paid 225 for my mower with 5.0a battery/charger and like 150 for the weed wacker /blower/ 4.0a battery/charger.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
JL8Jeff

So I found a new 25" 60v mower that comes with two 4ah batteries and charger that I can get for almost the same price as the 21" 80v mower. The wider cut should save time but I'm not sure if I want to settle for the 60v vs 80v.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I think the 60v will still be good. Is it two motors and blades though? I see it’s one motor with a drive for two blades, looks cool. Turbo button seams handy and headlight would be useful too.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 10-06-2021 at 11:27 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
JL8Jeff

I'm pretty sure it's the one motor and they have the blower and weed whacker as well. They might even have another 60v battery and charger so it looks like a really good deal. I just mowed the back yard with the broken gas mower and the fumes really suck. And the dog we just adopted on Friday was in the house barking while I mowed, so that's another reason for the cordless.

Here's the dog, she's an American Staffordshire Terrier and is 9 years old. She's been abandoned a few times and did not do well in the shelter so we adopted her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layla1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	10404   Click image for larger version

Name:	layla5.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	10405  
Old 10-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
JL8Jeff

So I picked up the 25" mower today and it has two 60v 4ah batteries and a dual fast charger. I also got the leaf blower/trimmer with another 60v 4ah battery and charger so it's a really good deal. Everything is new in the box. I should get a chance to try the stuff out later in the week and I'll update the post for anyone interested. It looks pretty cool with the mower actually taking 2 batteries at the same time and switching over batteries after the first one drains out. Since the blower/trimmer has the same battery, I could recharge the drained battery while I finish mowing and then have the first one still available for trimming. And it should all be quiet and not get the doggy all worked up!
Old 10-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
JL8Jeff

I actually mowed part of the front yard today and the mower works great. Nice and quiet, no fumes and nice to have the wider cut which shortens the mowing time. The blower/trimmer came with the same battery so I have 3 batteries which should make it easy to mow the whole lawn if I want to. I usually do the back 1 day and the front on another day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gw3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	10406   Click image for larger version

Name:	gw5.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	10407   Click image for larger version

Name:	gw6.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	10408  

Old 10-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Looks good
Old 10-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #15
JL8Jeff

Forgot the lawn picture, it's tough to see but it did cut well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gw7.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	10409  
Old 10-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #16
JL8Jeff

I mowed the back yard today, it was 4-5" tall and the mower worked great and cut the whole back yard on a single charge. There was a little left on the battery but I'm not sure how much. It took less than 30 minutes to fully charge it back up. So I'm sure I could mow half the lawn on 1 battery, then use the 2nd battery for the other half and recharge the first while mowing the 2nd half. 3 batteries would only be needed for full mowing, trimming and cleanup. I'm tempted to sell the blower/trimmer/3rd battery and single charger since I still have a Black & Decker 40v combo that works.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Sell the black and decker, having one battery system is ideal

How many sq ft are you mowing?

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 10-12-2021 at 06:55 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #18
JL8Jeff

Our lot is just under a 1/2 acre.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge