Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
lt14mla

clunking problems

I want to start by saying I have searched on this issue.

I recently have noticed some clunking on my passenger front side when I'm doing some real slow or parking lot driving. I'm not to familair with the whole tie rods and ball joints thing, but i performed the following tests.

grab at 12 and 6, and shake, no play

grab a 3 and 9, and shake, no play

However, i got under the car and noticed that the boot or sleeve covering what i'm assuming is the inner tie rods, has some oil around it.

Considering the results of the test, does this mean my rack needs to be replaced?

In addition, i performed the same test on the drivers side to check. No problems with the ball joints, but there was at least an 1/8th inch of play shaking at 3 and 9 (tie rods). So im pretty sure i need to replace at least the drivers side tie rod, even though its not being problematic right now?

My question, is how to further diagnose the problem on the passenger side and what my best options are... I'm not really familiar with the rack system and don't really have the tools to replace it.

Can anyone shed some light...

Thanks in advance

A factory freak with a few goodies...but more to come

MUST SELL ASAPhttp://www.ls1tech.com/forums/vehicl...l#post14241783
lt14mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
lt14mla

I'd heard its best to just have a shop replace the rack and pinion because you have to unbolt the engine. I was thinking of doing a aftermarket k-member at some point. Would this be the best time to do one? I don't plan on building the engine for a lonnngggg time.

I've heard labor on the rack and pinion was like 400 and I heard labor on a k member is like 400 too. How much is a reasonable labor price to get the two of them done?

A factory freak with a few goodies...but more to come

MUST SELL ASAPhttp://www.ls1tech.com/forums/vehicl...l#post14241783
lt14mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Saitin
Banned

take it some place that can do a front end evaluation, Sears does it for free.
Saitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
transmaro93

im almost postive you dont have to unbolt the engine... i watched a guy replace on in less than an hour from start to finish and out the door.... but before you go through all that id identify the problem... dont want to go spending that kind of money to have the same problems when done...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You should really get it checked out by a pro before you get too worried about changing a rack. In my experience a bad rack may get dead spots in it and will bind cold. Not clunk.

And you have to load the suspension to really check a ball joint.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech