Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2024, 06:21 PM   #1
band77one
15 Second Club
 
band77one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: camden county
Posts: 1,122
iTrader: (1)
collector car registration

Does anyone know what kind of letter is required to register a vehicle as a collector? trying to get my 00 z28 set up as a collector since the tune prevents it from getting inspected. until i can find a reputable shop to retune and possibly inspect it.
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator
 
qwikz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Franklin Lakes, NJ
Posts: 8,684
iTrader: (6)
Social Networks:

I don't have your answer but I went a different route for my cars: https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/

No sales tax when you buy a car and no inspections.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Except Jersey mike, great kid, but the way he looks at me makes me feel like im in danger
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:49 AM   #3
B4C
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jim Thorpe PA
Posts: 2,132
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by band77one View Post
Does anyone know what kind of letter is required to register a vehicle as a collector? trying to get my 00 z28 set up as a collector since the tune prevents it from getting inspected. until i can find a reputable shop to retune and possibly inspect it.
How does the tune prevent it from being inspected?
__________________
01 SS 383 stroker, Magnum F, 9in.
86 Trans-Am 355 t56
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whitehouse Station
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
How does the tune prevent it from being inspected?
If your tuner has new HP tuners and you have emissions deleted they can only turn off readiness or something so it'll just fail immediately. Something along those lines.
__________________
1986 Honda VFR750 - 89.3HP to the wheel
2000 Trans Am M6 - Mods: Yes.
2018 Durango R/T - AFE Intake, JLT Catch Can, Stainless Works Catback, Vinyl Dodge Racing Stripes
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:13 AM   #5
B4C
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jim Thorpe PA
Posts: 2,132
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
If your tuner has new HP tuners and you have emissions deleted they can only turn off readiness or something so it'll just fail immediately. Something along those lines.
NJ used to allow 2 systems to read not ready if IIRC, its been a while. My car passed NJ every time with a tune, headers and ORY.


NJ Standards for Collector car status. Probably just easier to wait one year and do QQ tags.

There is a specific process to classify a vehicle as a collector vehicle. The standards and application process are described below.

Standards
Collector Vehicles must:
Be a limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities.
Be less than 25 years old.
Not be registered as a historic vehicle or a street rod.
Not be driven more than 3,000 miles per year.
Be insured as a limited use collector vehicle.
The Collector Vehicle Status Fact Sheet contains more detailed information.
A vehicle classified as a collector vehicle can be qualified for exemption from safety and emission inspection after the application process is completed.

https://www.nj.gov/mvc/vehicletopics/collectveh.htm
__________________
01 SS 383 stroker, Magnum F, 9in.
86 Trans-Am 355 t56

Last edited by B4C; 04-12-2024 at 08:22 AM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:16 PM   #6
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whitehouse Station
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
NJ used to allow 2 systems to read not ready if IIRC, its been a while. My car passed NJ every time with a tune, headers and ORY.


NJ Standards for Collector car status. Probably just easier to wait one year and do QQ tags.

There is a specific process to classify a vehicle as a collector vehicle. The standards and application process are described below.

Standards
Collector Vehicles must:
Be a limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities.
Be less than 25 years old.
Not be registered as a historic vehicle or a street rod.
Not be driven more than 3,000 miles per year.
Be insured as a limited use collector vehicle.
The Collector Vehicle Status Fact Sheet contains more detailed information.
A vehicle classified as a collector vehicle can be qualified for exemption from safety and emission inspection after the application process is completed.

https://www.nj.gov/mvc/vehicletopics/collectveh.htm
The problem is EPA cracked down so tuners can't disable just one system. It's all or nothing now unless your tuner has old software. Obviously qq is a way around this but then you're restricted to drive it to shows only. Idk how they track miles but.
__________________
1986 Honda VFR750 - 89.3HP to the wheel
2000 Trans Am M6 - Mods: Yes.
2018 Durango R/T - AFE Intake, JLT Catch Can, Stainless Works Catback, Vinyl Dodge Racing Stripes
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol

Last edited by ThoR294; 04-13-2024 at 07:17 PM.
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:56 PM   #7
Joey D
 
Joey D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
The problem is EPA cracked down so tuners can't disable just one system. It's all or nothing now unless your tuner has old software. Obviously qq is a way around this but then you're restricted to drive it to shows only. Idk how they track miles but.
Ive seen many qq dailies over the years. When i was otj, no cops even knows or cares how its used, I can say that njmvc has no way to check it. Ol honor system....
Joey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:14 PM   #8
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whitehouse Station
Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Ive seen many qq dailies over the years. When i was otj, no cops even knows or cares how its used, I can say that njmvc has no way to check it. Ol honor system....
Good to hear. Kinda figured they really didnt care lol
__________________
1986 Honda VFR750 - 89.3HP to the wheel
2000 Trans Am M6 - Mods: Yes.
2018 Durango R/T - AFE Intake, JLT Catch Can, Stainless Works Catback, Vinyl Dodge Racing Stripes
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Sponsor List














All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.