Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
91zconvert

how do i pull a motor out of a 4th gen?

i have a 93 z28 and i'm pulling out the LT1 350 tommorow.i never pulled one out of a 4th gen.any help or tips will be appreciated.
91zconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Jersey Mike is good at that haha

We just pulled two out in the past two days. We dropped them out the bottom using a Cherry Picker to lift the car off the subframe and rolled it out the bottom. Engine with trans.

If you do it this way just be cautios as its coming out you have nothing connected to either the trans/engine/subframe. Brake lines,shifter linkage,harness,grounds, coolant lines

If we weren't doing a complete swap and didn't have to pull everything probably have been out much quicker

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 04-28-2012 at 07:56 PM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
greenformula92

Out the bottom is the best way to do it. you can also just flop the harness and ECM untop of the engine

and then just roll the k-member out with the engine and trans

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
RamAir95TA

Here's a great guide that I've used in the past.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
10.82 @ 124.25, 1.43 60' 455whp, 445wtq
Clip of 10-second pass.

More info: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...damn-time.html
RamAir95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
91zconvert

ok, we got the motor and the 6 speed out.but now we took all the bolts out of the trans and it still wont disconnect from the motor.it starts to disconnect but then it just wont go any farther.i have no idea????any feedback is always appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA0527.jpg (40.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA0528.jpg (37.1 KB, 32 views)
91zconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Clutch fork.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Clutch fork.
This. Pull strait out on the clutch fork.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Firehawk441

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
Out the bottom is the best way to do it.
I disagree.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk441 View Post
I disagree.
Seems to have already worked in this case. So no reason to start a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Firehawk441

Quote:
Y??
Not trying to be rude to you, but why do you ask?
This forum is filled with keyboard hard guys and I don't waste my time with them.
I've been a mechanic for 32 years. If you're sincere with your question, I'll be more then happy to explain.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
S.J.SLEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk441 View Post
Not trying to be rude to you, but why do you ask?
This forum is filled with keyboard hard guys and I don't waste my time with them.
I've been a mechanic for 32 years. If you're sincere with your question, I'll be more then happy to explain.
When you get used to doing it one way, Im sure the person finds it easier to do it than the other.
I personally prefer pulling out the bottom. motor,trans all on the ground in under 1.5hrs., and leaves you plenty of room to work on it. Plus is that you can hook the harness up and all sensors with ease instead of cramming your hands in between cowl/intake & such with motor in car.
I have done it both ways, out the bottom is easier and everything is more accessible IMO.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Firehawk441

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
When you get used to doing it one way, Im sure the person finds it easier to do it than the other.
I couldn't agree with you more. Doing what you're comfortable with is what's "BEST" for the individual.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

No, I am sincerely curious. You have a sick car and obviously know a thing or two about 4th gens. I really wonder why you find pulling from the top better for you?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Firehawk441

Quote:
No, I am sincerely curious. You have a sick car and obviously know a thing or two about 4th gens. I really wonder why you find pulling from the top better for you?
I'll send you a PM sometime this weekend when I get a few moments and give you some details.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
zraffz

Quote:
Their are quiet a few single digit f-bodies that pull them from the top. It's preference. I failed at taking it out the bottom so I stick to pulling it out the top
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

So are you saying pulling it out from the top means you are faster or something? I'm a little confused on that one. I do realize that most cars running that quick lack, i dono, most all of the stock equipment on these cars leaving you with gobs of room to have thanksgiving dinner with your motor and 6 closest friends.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
S.J.SLEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Their are quiet a few single digit f-bodies that pull them from the top. It's preference. I failed at taking it out the bottom so I stick to pulling it out the top
You must have a sticker on you that says "kick me"....lol
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Please keep this on topic and to the point.

Personally I'd like to know why out the top for a relatively stock car is/can be a better way.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Firehawk441

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Please keep this on topic and to the point.

Personally I'd like to know why out the top for a relatively stock car is/can be a better way.
I've never involved myself in this topic on any forum in the past. This is an opinion topic that always turns sour. I just get tired of people expressing what is "BEST" when there are different skill levels and preferences that doesn't make one way better for everyone.

My 1st response in this thread was I DISAGREE.
Meaning I DISAGREE pulling an engine out the bottom is "BETTER".

I never said pulling it out the top is "BETTER" either. People just assumed that's what I meant.

I did however say very clearly that people should stick to what's comfortable for them

Myself and many others that I know can and do pull engines from the top on stock or modified F-Bodies. The overall engine swap into a driving car is significantly quicker for us. We have pulled hundreds of engines out of these cars combined and have developed our own tools and techniques for doing so. The lifting plate that Quick Time Performance sells is accually mine. I built that plate in 2002 for myself. I made one for Barry and he liked it and decided to market it. I DON'T recieve any profits from him so don't think I'm selling anything here.

I dismantle everything off the engine in the car and leave all accessories hooked to the car. A/C, P/S, Alternator, Brake lines never become disconnected. This saves a bunch of time on the install. I bolt the lifting plate to the valley and use a 3 link chain on the engine hoist. Makes for a simple removal and installation.

Let me say that this could be awkward for some so it isn't BEST for everyone.

Pulling an engine out the bottom I think could be easier for some novelists doing it in his/her driveway because you can dismantle everything on the ground. Keep in mind that once the k-member is out, there is still a bunch of work left. Tranny, engine, accessories still have to be removed from the k-member. Then the process is reversed including A/C re-charging, adding P/S fluid, bleeding brakes. This is all added time that I don't deal with.

I WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASIZE TO EVERYONE READING TO STICK WITH WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. THERE IS NO BEST WAY

I would also like to applogize if I affended any of those interested in this topic. It was never my intentions.

Last edited by Firehawk441; 05-13-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Firehawk441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
zraffz

Quote:
So are you saying pulling it out from the top means you are faster or something? I'm a little confused on that one. I do realize that most cars running that quick lack, i dono, most all of the stock equipment on these cars leaving you with gobs of room to have thanksgiving dinner with your motor and 6 closest friends.
Not at all. You guys make it seem like if it's pulled out the top then the person who removed it must not have had a clue how to pull a motor out. Go on LS1Tech or find build logs for some of the first single digit LT1 cars, their are people with a much better understanding than you or me who pull them out the top.

I find taking the intake manifold/radiator out is very easy for me to stand in the engine bay and reach down to separate the bell housing... I am also 6'4 and have arms that are longer than a normal person's. From their I unbolt the motor mounts, manifolds/headers, sensors and separate the flex plate from the converter. The motor is than pulled out with a tractor engine hoist.

Like I said, I only pull them out the top. It isn't necessarily better but I find it much more comfortable for me to do it that way.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
1984camaroz28

Quote:
Even bone stock cars i pull out the top ... just my pref... maybe this post wont get deleted.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Pulled two out the bottom (last?) week. It was cake. I'll let you guys do the bickering, but throw in a few more sentences or links or pictures to make this thread more of a how-to and less of an abortion.

If dropping it out the bottom, here's a pretty good link I skimmed over before diving in (--I also made sure you give SweetBMXRider a few calls, texts, private messages, instagrams & and at one point there was a Carrier Pigeon involved, but I digress--) http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...ne-bottom.html
I highly recommend using 3 dollies; One under each wheel, and the other under the trans. At 9-bucks a pop from Harbor Freight, they're certainly worth it & made it possible to slide the assembly around any way we wanted.
Since we weren't using a lift, putting the rear tires on blocks/ramps also gave more ground clearance.
It was pretty straight forward, for the most part. I plan to dump a keg of anti-seize on everything before re-assembling.

Worst case, you can do as Ls1ow and WildBillyT did when they pulled the motor from his WBT's old catfish.

Best of luck.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

out of all people its me and WBT -___- why us ?!
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning