Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
V
Stalker

ah crap...monte is doing it again...code 51

ok i thought i had the issue sorted out, and i registered and insured the car yesterday and finally took it out today. It now runs like CRAP, doesnt want to rev right, no power, wont go over 3k rpms, speedo wouldnt work etc. I pulled the codes again and all i got was code 51 again, bad prom or ecm. I figure since i already swapped out the comp it must be the "custom" PROM. I unplugged the computer and let it sit to clear the code, after about a min i tried it again, this time no code runs GREAT, revs soild sounds much better, i took it out and speedo now works and it feels right, i pulled bakc in my driveway, turned it off, then started it, and once again back to crap, with a ses code, i cleared it once again, then tried, bakc to good, you get the picture now i hope. So I KNOW the issue is COMP?PROM related, but i doubt ecm since it was swapped. i guess i need a new chip, someone told me to contact "fasterthanyou" about a prom. i dont need a specific custom burn as much as a mild modified chip just to allow my engine to run (350 SD, 5spd, no vats, no air select/diverter valves, LT1 injectors, K&n filter, & full headers) but i can drive the car if i keep clearing the ecm before everytime i start it. oh well...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #2
Fasterthanyou

You have a 350 with a 5spd, to run well you should let me burn a custom chip for that alone. Then the headers, no vats, no air, and headers is another reason. Believe me, you can spend $50 for another gm memcal (chip's inside) that's either for a 5spd 305 or an auto 350, both with vats enabled OR $100 for the custom that'll cover all the bases.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
V
Stalker

i ended up sending the ecm and prom back to the guy i bought it and the modified harness from back in march. I Was surprised how helpful he was when i finally got in contact with him about it, he said to send it and he'll check it out. I was expecting him to say it wasnt his problem or that there'd be an extra charge, but all was good. A few days later he emailed me that he got it and tested it. He found there was a corrupted file that was causing the issue. He told me the SES light should flash or "wink" when the ecm is first powered up and it didnt do it, so he knew there was something going on. He said fixed it and made sure it was all ok. I'm very happy that ebayer seller stands behind his products. I just got it back today, so now tomorrow i'll try it out and see how it is this time, hopefully all is well.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
camaro2you

ya i hate those computer cars lol
next camaro i do is going to be an older one.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you
ya i hate those computer cars lol
next camaro i do is going to be an older one.
I've got a 76 for sale
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
camaro2you

ewww
any pics?
how much?
what is it?
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
Mike
BadMod

click the link in his sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning