Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > Wanted To Buy - Automotive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
camarorat

WTB 69 Firebird body

Looking for 69 firebird body. No title preferred.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
emolineaux

dont know what year it is but theres a 1st gen firebird down 206 headed toward atco
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
camarorat

I either have to get a untitled body or get rid of this dash/cowl assembly.

Last edited by camarorat; 12-16-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
69BirdX
12 Second Club

the 1st gen on 206 is a 67-68. Buy a crate 69 camaro body and tweak it.
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Yes, a firebird vin on a camaro shell, that is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorat View Post
I either have to get a untitled body or get rid of this dash. I have a vin cowl tag and title but need a body.
As long as you know putting the vin from one car on another is generally illegal. Do you have the hidden vins too? Selling what you have is also illegal, so I would suggest not putting it on ebay.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
camarorat

Na, I already have three 69 camaro bodies 2 w/titles and one without.

Swithching vins is illegal but the repro body is considered a replacement part and therfore you could use it. And yes I do have the hidden vin, which doesn't really matter since they repro that now. So if you replace the cowl and you don't have the hidden Vin is it illegle?

Last edited by camarorat; 12-16-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorat View Post
Na, I already have three 69 camaro bodies 2 w/titles and one without.

Swithching vins is illegal but the repro body is considered a replacement part and therfore you could use it. And yes I do have the hidden vin, which doesn't really matter since they repro that now, and this one is garbage. So if you replace the cowl and you don't have the hidden Vin is it illegle?
Rebodying a car can be more difficult than you may think. A number of people (Boyd C, UNIQUE Performance, W2W powertrain) got nailed on it. They call it the "Ship of Theseus" fraud. I know a guy who had to register himself as an auto manufacturer in PA to get his car through.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 12-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You'd have to check with the state police on the exact details. I'm also not sure taking a vin off one car and putting a different vin on it is the same as moving a vin to a replacement part. I think that is an entirely different situation, and likely far more cut & dry illegal. Plus that car will have hidden vins that won't match the dash vin.

Then there is the possession of the correct style rosette rivits. Here is the federal statues and some notes: http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I wouldn't even think of selling that cowl tag and title with another body. There's a $125K Camaro that was at BJ that was confiscated due to the VIN being changed to another body. And the repro body is not a legal replacement in all 50 states so don't plan on that route without researching it. If you have no body at all, then the repro body does you no good.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
69BirdX
12 Second Club

If you bought that reproduction shell wouldnt you be allowed to put a vin on it?
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Not in New Jersey

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
camarorat

Iteresting, I just went to look at a guys car, an original 69 SS 350, that had a complete restoration done and paid close to 30,000 including parts. He wasn't happy with the job and wants to see If ican do something with it. Anyway, this car still has the original drivetrain in it. The roof, cowl, dash, doors, fenders 1/4 panels, inner and outer wheel wells, trunk floor, interior floors were all replaced. So is this car illegal? How would anyone ever tell, Just because you remove the Vin and Tag does it make the car illegal? If that's the case there are a lot of illegal cars parked at the car shows. Every car that crosses the auction block on barret Jackson is illegal?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Repair is the grey area, and you get back to hidden VINs and ability to verify. You better be able to prove your work since the educated buyer will spot the problem. And as soon as it is identified the car becomes just about unsellable.

Now moving on to what you appear to be looking to do here. Removing the VIN from an untitled car and adding a different VIN is not the same as repairing a rusted section of metal. That is illegal – especially removing the VIN from the untitled car. That is ‘rebodying’ and is illegal. See Unique Performance, Boyd Codington and others that have been charged for that.

‘Other people do it’ does not answer the legality question. A lot of 18 year olds drink beer. It’s only illegal if you get caught, but if you do get caught hold on tight. Notice Jeff’s example of a car being impounded. Also, they do not repop hidden VINs – at least legally/legitimately. It is also illegal to reproduce VIN tags, that is federal law. Sure people do it, but people sell heroin too and last I looked that was a federal offense as well.

If you care I suggest you call the state police and ask.

Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > Wanted To Buy - Automotive