Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #51
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I am not talking about structural. I don't want to have to spend more time dealing with flux core BS. When I've done flux core I've had more spatter and more blow-through than when I'm using solid wire with a sheilding gas. I don't like fighting my tools, or dealing with unnecessary cleanup. Granted, I only do this as a hobby, but IMO flux core will stick the metal right but will require more work- and skill if you are working on something that's more of a pile.
I totally agree with you. Fluxcore has more penetration at the same power and is much easier to cook through sheet with. Plus its harder to drag a pretty bead and an all around pain to clean up.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #52
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post

I love when people that have never even picked up a welder try to talk tech about stuff like this.
yup, never ever welded before..... i are a noob....

anyway, have you ever used a gas mig in place of the flux core wire? the difference in night and day, once you use gas, you will never go back to the flux core for ANYTHING. Its pathetic in comparison

As for the pans, you can weld thin sheet metal, without warping the hell out of it, grind it up and no one will ever know. However, i will agree that its a waste of time on a car like a 3rd or 4th gen ATM, the time involved is not worth it for a car that common. But its more than possible.

ever think about metal work and patch panels on the outside of the car? like putting a patch panel in a quarter/door/fender ect? thats really thin sheet metal too, and they are fully welded in, ground, hammered out and if done right, you will never know it was done. Of course you are not just running 1 long continuous bead the entire length and hoping the panel wont warp to hell, your just stringing a shat load of little beads all the way around to keep the heat out of the panel.

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 06-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #53
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
but IMO flux core will stick the metal right but will require more work- and skill if you are working on something that's more of a pile.
this
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #54
r0nin89

O I've used gas before and it kicks ass. Its easier to run a nice looking bead, more consistent, and no slag. I never said fluxcore was better. Simply said theres no reason you cant use it.

Theres 3 upsides to fluxcore.

No shielding gas to blow away outside

Deeper penetration with the same amperage

Less equipment/cost.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #55
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
No shielding gas to blow away outside
that is a pain sometimes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #56
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ View Post
that is a pain sometimes
Yeah, like when it's incredibly hot and you have a fan on you while you are working.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia