Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
quasar34

3.4 Loud pop/thud??

Ok, so I have a 95 3.4 camaro, and every couple weeks when I am cruisin at about 25-30mph and I go to accelerate I hear a loud popping/thud sound that seems to be coming from my engine (it’s loud enough that when I passed a few kids sittin in front of their S-10 they yelled “OUCHHH�).. When it happens I can feel the thud in the gas peddle.. I have no clue what this is…

Here is all the background info on the car to maybe help… Cars got 131k on it, motor is a jasper w/ 17k.. Plugs and all that were changed when engine was done. I was driving it for maybe 2 months with a bad EGR valve a couple months ago but it’s been replaced for awhile.. Could my plugs be fouled up from running rich? Can anyone think of anything? Thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
V
Stalker

well i dunno if it helps any, but when i had my 93T/A, it would pop back through the intake, shudder, and hesitate until higher rpms, it was a mess at lower speeds, but it was injector related. I got the car cheap after the car had been vandilized with about 10lbs of sugar in the gas tank. the popping would be due to the injectors being clogged. i'd pull them every 1k miles, rinse them out with water and i was good to go for another 1k miles or so. so maybe your injectors are dirty or clogged, it may not be the solution, but its somewhere to start.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
quasar34

k, i'll check that out..
Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
ryanfx
King of Free

wow i've never actually heard of someone who has actually had sugar in the gastank.. was always like a fable to me
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
V
Stalker

yeah, my boss's mom owned the car and it got sugared in a parking garage in the city. Â*we assumed the people responsible hoped the car would not run and be left overnight(perhaps so they could steal it), but it ran fine home and for a while, after about 2 weeks it started acting up. Â*he couldnt figure it out and planned on selling it for 800 bucks, i told him id buy it, but stupid me suggested the injectors may be clogged, the one thing he overlooked, sure enough 2 were packed solid with sugar crystals.(yes we did taste it to be sure, lol) after they were clean it ran great, over time it would act up more and more, once cleaned it would be fine again. Finally he had enough and got his mom a Â*new car so he needed to sell the TA, i offered him 2k and got it. Â*i drove it a while, and just cleaned the injectors a few times with an old water pic i found in my basement, lol. Â*I later put a tank in it from a 96 formula i stripped, and no problems since, Â*there was still about 5 cups of sugar in the bottom of the tank,(yes we tasted that too) I finally had to sell the car, put it on ebay and got 3500 for it and it got shipped out to minnesota, where it still is as of last spring when i did a carfax on it. Â* but yea... sugar in gas tanks does happen.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
quasar34

ok well i never got to check my injectors and now my cars being not so cool.. i drove my car for 20 mins friday night and parked it in front of my house.. saturday afternoon at about 5pm i go to start her up and she wouldnt turn over at first.. i got her to start the 2nd try, and now my cars making an unusually loud clicking noise that seems to be comming from somewhere on the top of my engine.. my dad n i pulled off my belt and started the car for 2 seconds to see if maybe it was my belt tensioner but it wasnt, so its something wrong with the engine itself.. would sugar in the tank do this? i dont have a locking gas cap but i really didnt think i had any enemies as i generally keep outta trouble and whatnot.. cars goin to the shop either monday or tuesday but i was jus wondering if anyone had any input..as much as i like my car, im starting to hate it more and more everyday..
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
quasar34

my mechanic confirmed that water got sucked into my intake manifold somehow (guessing the rain on friday night) and now my cars got a rodknock.. warranty on the engine doesnt cover it so i'm gunna have to make an insurance claim and buy a new car.. i might buy the car back and part it out or somethin..this is a total bummer, all of my money I've made was invested in my car >=o/
Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
V
Stalker

want an engine? i have one ill sell real cheap. let me know. im in closter
Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
maroman88
12 Second Club

keeeeeep it n buy an engine, its to nice to part duuude
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

My Z28 will backfire through the intake on occasion, but hasnt done it in a while. I think its time to get the injectors checked out and toss a new fuel filter on it...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning