Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
andy78TA

2nd Gen headers

Hey everyone,
I ordered a set of headers for my T/A and can't wait for them to come in.. of course they are backordered, but while I wait I am trying to figure out if there are any tricks for installing them.
Some people tell me they are the biggest pain in the a** to install, others say they really aren't that bad. Either way, they are ordered and are going on the car when they come in ha.

A few people have told me it is easier to put them on if I unbolt the engine mounts, others have told me not, so I am curious about this. I have heard from almost everyone that I should soak the old manifold bolts with PB Blaster for at least 3 days before I attempt to take them off and I know I have to jack up the vehicle quite a bit in order to install them but are there any other tricks that anyone can point out? I have the pontiac 400 6.6 litre.

Also when they do come in, would anyone be interested in coming over to help install them? Im sure it will be loads of fun
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Defiently soak the bolts. You have an auto so that may be a plus. Did you get the coated or painted headers?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
andy78TA

the painted ones I think, the ones without the ceramic coating. I always thought they were better but someone told me on another forum that its better to get the painted ones and coat them yourself with high temp paint or wrap them yourself than buy the ceramic coated ones.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy78TA View Post
the painted ones I think, the ones without the ceramic coating. I always thought they were better but someone told me on another forum that its better to get the painted ones and coat them yourself with high temp paint or wrap them yourself than buy the ceramic coated ones.
In my opinion you got bad advice. The paint burns off pretty quick, and the ceramic coating keeps underhood temps down. You can wrap the headers but that traps condensation and the headers can rust out faster.

Don't forget a good set of gaskets, too. Typically the ones that come with headers are pretty cheap and don't seal so well.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

alternative thinking is you get regular ones, install them, see if they fit, need dimpling, etc., then get them coated.

but that advice was bad, lol.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
andy78TA

Yeah Im not really sure, I always thought it was better to get the ceramic ones but I got a lot of people saying that the ceramic cracks. I just ordered cheaper ones for now (hedmans) thinking I could upgrade later but since they are backordered I might be able to change it. I'll have to look up the price difference and see if its worth it... It might be around the same price since I would have to buy the wrap anyway...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
andy78TA

The ceramic coated ones are more than 2X the price of the painted ones so I might have to still with the painted ones... Is there any place around here that will ceramic coat them?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
WildBillyT

Quote:
The ceramic coated ones are more than 2X the price of the painted ones so I might have to still with the painted ones... Is there any place around here that will ceramic coat them?
Jet-Hot will but they are not cheap.

Supposedly Summit's house brand headers are pretty good and are reasonably priced with ceramic coating.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
andy78TA

Unfortunately summit does not make a set that will fit my car... the cheapest ceramic coated ones I could find are ones called patriot exhaust headers at $370, at that price I would probably pay the extra $30 for hedmans though as I have heard of them and I haven't really heard of patriot...
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
BigAls87Z28

Actually...not totaly bad advice.
I have ceramic coated hooker LT's, coated from Hooker, and that was trash within a year of owning it.
I heat cycled it and everything. My 87's shorties were coated by a 3rd party, and they are in great shape.
Get the coated...or buy them from Jet Hot or something.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

There's a place in Bordentown or Burlington that does coating but it will probably cost the same as buying coated headers. At least with the painted headers you can test fit them first unless of course your car is your daily driver and you can't afford the down time. Jet-Hot does sell a lot of headers already coated as well so you can check their website. The painted headers will rust but it's not like they will fall apart real fast so you might be fine running them if funds are tight.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
WildBillyT

Have you looked into used headers? If you get a set of old rusty ones in decent shape you can send them off to get coated and maybe save a few dollars.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Agreed ceramic is probably the best, but it doesn't always last, I was super careful not to scratch my coating and it still rusted around the welds within a year.

On my third gen I had painted headers ( some flat black coating ) and the look like crap after a few weeks. I pulled them off and painted them with Eastwood exhaust paint and it held up nicely.

On my 4th gen I have jethot coating and it started to rust around the welds at the collectors in a year. I repainted then with the product below and it is still in good shape.

http://www.eastwood.com/silver-high-...ating-kit.html

This does nothing to protect the header, Jethot coats inside and out so the headers last, the paint only makes them look pretty.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 11-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

I've had the Jet-hot coating on two sets of headers for a few years with no issues. I've had the pace setter coats urn to hell in less then a year.

So I would get uncoated and send directly to jet-hot. That way you get their lifetime garuntee. Or, see on their websit if you can order them directly through them. www.jet-hot.com.

oh, and the sterling 1300 finish is the best bang for your buck there.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85

Last edited by deadtrend1; 11-25-2009 at 11:08 AM.
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
usp55

I slapped a set of headers on my 71 firebird no prob, ofcourse there was nothing but an engine on the frame. I went with summit brand headers ($100) good for now just to get it up and running but will be looking for a set of coated tubes later. have heard very good things about eastwood header paints when applied right.

on another note i have had coated pacesetters on my camaro for over two years now and the headers themselves look ok but the ypipe has lost its coat and is rusting.

Where r you located?

Last edited by usp55; 11-25-2009 at 12:11 PM.
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Johnson's Powder Coating in Burlington does a nice header coating.

www.johnsonspowdercoating.com

I think somebody on here had their headers done there.

-
Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I wonder if they can do whole cars. That is what a lot of the high end builders do now, the primer is powdercoat. The whole shell gets done.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
I've had the Jet-hot coating on two sets of headers for a few years with no issues. I've had the pace setter coats urn to hell in less then a year.

So I would get uncoated and send directly to jet-hot. That way you get their lifetime guarantee. Or, see on their website if you can order them directly through them. www.jet-hot.com.

oh, and the sterling 1300 finish is the best bang for your buck there.
This is the key - you'll pay more upfront, but the coating is guaranteed for life.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
andy78TA

Thanks for the advice everyone, I sent jet hot an email to get a quote so we will see how bad it will be. My T/A is not my daily driver and it is in my garage now waiting for me to come home for xmas break to start ripping it apart so as long as my headers are in by than Ill be ok. I think I am going to stay with the painted though as I can always run them as they are for now and if they start to really look bad I can take them off and send them to Jet Hot, or just buy a ceramic coated set.

As for used headers I look on ebay all the time but apparently headers that will fit a pontiac 400 are not the most common. If I had a chevy engine I would have a lot to choose from but no such luck it seems...

Thanks

edit- I am in central Jersey, Somerville Area

Last edited by andy78TA; 11-25-2009 at 06:35 PM.
andy78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

I'd be mo' than happy to help out w/ yer install. I put a couple of sets of headers on my 79 T/A back in da day, and it was not a bad job. But then again, I have a few tricks I do w/ headers to ease installation that might not be be up yer alley! lol

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #21
andy78TA

Bob,
Thanks for the support, I am sure I will be wanting some people there. I started to take my car apart today and I am really hoping that I will be able to get these off. I looked at the heads and it looks like the bolts are rusted pretty good and the drivers side head looks a little rusty too... This should be an interesting experience
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
WildBillyT

Quote:
Bob,
Thanks for the support, I am sure I will be wanting some people there. I started to take my car apart today and I am really hoping that I will be able to get these off. I looked at the heads and it looks like the bolts are rusted pretty good and the drivers side head looks a little rusty too... This should be an interesting experience
Drip some Kroil or PB blaster on the manifold bolts for a few days first. Don't bother with WD-40. Should help your cause.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #23
andy78TA

Yeah I just bought the massive container of PB blaster the other day. I plan on hitting the bolts with it for at least 3 or 4 days before I even attempt to take them off. I'll post up pictures of everything as I do it so everyone can laugh at me ha
Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
andy78TA

Jet Hot got back to me today, almost $400 with shipping to coat a new set of headers so it definately would be worth just buying a new set of ceramic coated if the painted steel are bothering me hah
Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #25
WildBillyT

Quote:
Jet Hot got back to me today, almost $400 with shipping to coat a new set of headers so it definately would be worth just buying a new set of ceramic coated if the painted steel are bothering me hah
Yeah, they quoted me $385 so I passed.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning