Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Window AC repair? Oops...

I have a window unit that had been leaking water into the room. Upon looking at it, I noticed that the exterior area of the drain pan was completely full with debris and dirt causing nothing to drain at all outside. I cleaned it all out and found the drain hole which was clogged, so I used a drill to make it slightly larger so it would drain better in the future. Then on the other side, there was no drain hole, so I added a small one. However, that's where I F'd up, lol. The drill bit went through, caught, and pulled in and up, right into one of the copper lines on the outside of the condenser coil. As a result, it made a small hole and all the refrigerant leaked out. So that's where I'm at now. I called one place and they said if the coils leaking, its not fixable.

Are there any hvac techs here that could maybe think they could fix this and recharge it and get it working again? The hole is visible and its not like theres an internal leak in the coil. I assumed it could be brazed or something and then the unit just recharged.

I can provide pic/more info if needed. And I'd be willing to drive the unit wherever needed. Help me please, lol.
V is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge