Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

third gen oil pan info

i am going to be needing a new oil pan for my engine build. it is a L98, i know any SBC pan will bolt to it, but i need to find out which ones are third gen friendly and will cooperate with the y-pipes. im not looking for a larger than stock pan, also no aluminums as i plan to lower my car more and would like the added protection of steel.

i dont really want to reuse my old pan, as nearly all the components for this motor are brand new it would bug me putting on a used pan

recommendations are greatly appreciated, part numbers too if you have them to pans that will work.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Buy a new stock pan?

Or if you want an upgraded stocker, something like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...maro/year/1986

You can get a kicked out pan that will not affect ground clearance.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsstink View Post
i am going to be needing a new oil pan for my engine build. it is a L98, i know any SBC pan will bolt to it, but i need to find out which ones are third gen friendly and will cooperate with the y-pipes. im not looking for a larger than stock pan, also no aluminums as i plan to lower my car more and would like the added protection of steel.

i dont really want to reuse my old pan, as nearly all the components for this motor are brand new it would bug me putting on a used pan

recommendations are greatly appreciated, part numbers too if you have them to pans that will work.
Your L98 will have a 1pc rear main seal, which is not compatible with older, 2pc seal oil pans. There are various replacement pans out there by several well known manufacturers, most would be steel at a lower price point.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Kick out pans will interfere with the Y pipe. Been there, done that. Choices are limited if you don't make any other changes. I used a vice to crush the Y pipe slightly, but it still touched the pan.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsstink View Post

if it is not damaged then clean it, paint it, move on unless you like spending money. if you do have $$ burning a hole in your pocket buy a canton.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Kick out pans will interfere with the Y pipe. Been there, done that. Choices are limited if you don't make any other changes. I used a vice to crush the Y pipe slightly, but it still touched the pan.
Yeah, wasn't sure if they all did or not.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Fast92RS
Power Member

I was running this pan when I had my third gen. Great quality http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/240

Last edited by Fast92RS; 01-20-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Fast92RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

nothing will fit as well as a legit GM pan. go with a stock replacement. i did. never had a leak from it since

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
conlinj

Moroso makes one that is 6qt with a sump and will clear the factory style exhausts. I haven't had any problems with mine.

-Jim

Last edited by conlinj; 01-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.
conlinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Dudbird113

Second a lil brake cleaner and some spray paint

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech