Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

92 Firebird 3.1

I have to change out the thermostat in the car. Just trying to figure out what other parts I need. I am not really familiar with this engine.

I am pretty sure I need to pull the throttle body, but from the Helm manual I am not sure whether I need to pull the plenum too? also is the EGR on the back of the throttle body? I can't figure out what gasket it is that I need for the back of the TB

The Helm manual isn't detailed about the other systems and items that need to be removed/replaced.

Last edited by PolarBear; 01-29-2014 at 09:09 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
PolarBear

Was finally able to get the hood open. The latch was all gummed up and had a lot of grit in it. Took that off and cleaned it real well, re-lubed it.

Anyway, it looks like I can get to the thermostat by only removing the throttle body even though the book says to remove the plenum. Also the other piece on the back of the TB is just a vacuum connector for the vacuum reference for the fuel pressure regulator and something else I can't remember. Ordered my parts, hopefully get them by the weekend so I can change them out this coming weekend. Camaro is somewhat drivable, so I may be able to do the work in the garage!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

good luck. I haven't seen a 2.8/3.1 in ages but don't remember a thermostat being that much of a PITA to do.

I guess it could be worse, you could be working on one in a fiero...

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
PolarBear

Yeah, this was super easy. I don't know why I put it off for so long. Worst part was opening the drain on the radiator, I couldn't get it started and I needed some pliers. 2 bolts for the TB, two bolts for the water outlet, two worm gear clamps, two gaskets, thermostat and some coolant.

Other than that the coolant was DISGUSTING. it was BLACK. It's so bad I'll have to bring it to a shop that does actual flushes and get them to clean it out. I refilled the radiator anyway since I can't have the car down for too long.

Engine comes up to temperature now and stays close to proper on the highway. Total Parts from RockAuto cost was less than $40 with the shipping and I did the TPS while I was there.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech