Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
NjbadSS

finally got a ticket

So tonight I got my first since I just got my license. Now please tell me if you think this is BS bc I totally feel it is. So I will explain exactly what happened. I was going up the road, about to come up to a light which was just about to turn green. At the light itself the single lane turned into 2 lanes. Being that I was already moving, and there was nobody in the right lane, I decided to go in that lane, was doing the speed limit of the road, about 1/4 mile up the road the right lane ended so I did the right thing, signaled and merged into the other lane. Again doing the speed limit the entire time. Next thing I know the trooper passes the cars behind me and gets right up on my bumper, now I know what comes next..the lights start flashing. So in the end he hit me for illegally passing! I asked him 2 questions. 1) officer are you aloud to drive in that right lane. He said yes. 2) Was I speeding? he said no. I said well I used my blinker and that would be considered merging and he said he didn't want to hear it. Do you guys agree and think it will be an issue in court?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
gotmudnj

i agree with you go back and take pictures of where you were and all and talk to prosecutor about it most likely they might have to bring in officer to go against you and all. i would say fight it and take picturees for evidence. good luck

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I would prolly argue it on the basis that you were keeping to the right. If you were in the left lane, then moved into the right lane to pass the stopped traffic, then moved back into the left lane, then I could see his point.

My understanding from your post is that there are only 2 lanes just before and just after the light, correct?

If that's the case, I don't **think** the ticket will stand up in court. Might want to look up all the actual particulars of the illegal passing law to be sure though.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
NjbadSS

well thats what I plan on doing. It would be a huge difference if it was a turning lane or I was doing 75 miles an hour but that is why I asked him to hear out of his own mouth was I speeding and are you not allowed to drive in that lane? I'm just afraid he goes to court its a state troopers word vs mine. We will see I suppose
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
NjbadSS

Justin- that is correct. It is a single lane than at the actual light itself it is 2 lanes that run about 1/4 mile up than turn back into one.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
gotmudnj

thing is did you move into lane after light since after light it was two lanes but before light its one so that would mean you passed him threw intersection with no lane technical right

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbadaSS View Post
Justin- that is correct. It is a single lane than at the actual light itself it is 2 lanes that run about 1/4 mile up than turn back into one.
Did you move back to the left lane right after you passed the other cars, or did you wait until the right lane was about to end?

- Justin

Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
NjbadSS

was as the lane was ending. I even told the trooper. I'm almost 25, fresh out of the marine corps currently going to school to become a cop. And you are familiar with sussex county if I remember correctly, this was just as you get into newton. Who honestly drives dumb in newton?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

What road heading into Newton?

My grandparents live just a few miles north of Ross's Corner on 565, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

- Justin

Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
NjbadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
What road heading into Newton?

My grandparents live just a few miles north of Ross's Corner on 565, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

- Justin
206 just before the dam dairy queen coming into newton from ross's corner!!!!!! I am quite mad about this and if I legit was being an idiot, ok I pay the ticket and shut up, but he was a very young trooper who wanted to hear nothing. Wanna hear the oddest part of the story? about half mile up the road, I apparently passed him and guess what car he had pulled over? A green 4th gen Z28. What was I driving? Black 4th gen z28. Seems a bit fishy to me
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
gotmudnj

i go to newton for a camp ground lol....about 15 mins from the shopright and i think kohls on the hill

Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
NjbadSS

this happened right at the light before that by Lowes. About a minute away from there
Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
gotmudnj

i know that area a little wow that is gay..i myself fight it especially if you dont got a record.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

From the sounds of things I would fight it, I know the area you are talking about, and it sounds like you are definitely in the right here. Take some digital pictures, and clearly label them to show where everything happened.

If you go to court, be prepared for the prosecutor to offer to let you plea to "unsafe driving". This would give you 0 points, but it will cost you roughly $450 out of pocket that day. Having some pictures and stuff to clearly show you were in the right will help out your case when you tell them you aren't interested in a plea-bargain.

- Justin

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
NjbadSS

Thanks for the advice justin. I am just worried, like I said, I go to court and basically it comes down to a state troopers word vs mine. Just thought it was very strange it was the same cop that had another z28 pulled over less than half mile up the road. Maybe he was just a ricer fam out to get muscle cars? haha
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
maroman88
12 Second Club

maybe he likes mustangs?

could go either way... if u went into the right lane with the sole intention of passing the stopped traffic, it could be considered passing on the right, which i think is wat u sed he wrote u for
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
NjbadSS

correct. improper passing is what he wrote it for. He was really just being a jerk though, I was very respectful, which is what the marines kind of pounded in me, handed him my info and military id which he literally threw back in my car saying this isn't your license. I guess it will be up to the judge now was just curious if anyone has been in a situation like this.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
gotmudnj

i have some what. first yr i drove was pulled over 18 times just because of the way my truck looked....i would fight it and talk to prosecutor and plead not guilty.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
NjbadSS

18?! jeezee haha. Ya and I must have given myself bad luck because I was just talking to my friends and said, wow I am amazed that me being a younger looking male driving 2 sports cars doesn't ever get pulled over by cops. Dam me
Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
NastyEllEssWon

it sounds like youre not going to be able to fight it.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
NjbadSS

why wouldn't I be able to fight it?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
thunder
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
it sounds like youre not going to be able to fight it.
i disagree. i think he has a very good shot at wining this case
Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbadaSS View Post
So tonight I got my first since I just got my license. Now please tell me if you think this is BS bc I totally feel it is. So I will explain exactly what happened. I was going up the road, about to come up to a light which was just about to turn green. At the light itself the single lane turned into 2 lanes. Being that I was already moving, and there was nobody in the right lane, I decided to go in that lane, was doing the speed limit of the road, about 1/4 mile up the road the right lane ended so I did the right thing, signaled and merged into the other lane. Again doing the speed limit the entire time. Next thing I know the trooper passes the cars behind me and gets right up on my bumper, now I know what comes next..the lights start flashing. So in the end he hit me for illegally passing! I asked him 2 questions. 1) officer are you aloud to drive in that right lane. He said yes. 2) Was I speeding? he said no. I said well I used my blinker and that would be considered merging and he said he didn't want to hear it. Do you guys agree and think it will be an issue in court?

this is how i read it. two lanes at the light, he went around someone that was stationary waiting at the light. the light turns green while he's approaching, he swings into the right lane and goes around the car waiting at the light.

the problems with this is....first of all the person is waiting in the left lane for a reason. most people stick to the right, the person waiting in the middle/far lane tells me that the right lane is probably a right turn lane, even if its open because the driver waiting was giving people the courtesy to turn and not a designated turn lane, its still considered PASSING ON THE RIGHT, which boils down to IMPROPER PASSING.

if youd like you can go back and ask for a 4 point ticket for ''changing lanes at an intersection.'' he gave you a break.

thats just how i see it
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Fleetwiz

I'd fight it and go to court...minimally you should be able to get it reduced (even if your not guilty) to a non-points violation...its all about the $ and revenue.
Fleetwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

marine corps wont help here?
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge