Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
firebirdat

Need a little help with transmission installation...

Let me give you the rundown to avoid any confusion.
1984 Trans Am with 5.3 LM7, LS7 clutch and pressure plate, LS7 flywheel, tremec t56 magnum, and american powertrains hydramax hydraulic system kit. this is my first rodeo with a manual transmission installation so this is a learning experience for me and might get confusing, so keep it simple for my feeble mind.

I have said clutch and flywheel installed with the bellhousing on, so i follow the instructions, watch the videos and do my measurements exactly the same, so as far as i know im doing it right. called a friend up and he did it the exact way i did and got the same results.

"Dimension A:
WITH THE BELL HOUSING AND CLUTCH INSTALLED MEASURE THE DISTANCE FROM THE BELL HOUSING FACE TO THE TOP OF THE CLUTCH FINGERS WITH A DIRAL OR ELECTRONIC CALIPER . RECORD YOUR NUMBER HERE: 2.13(my number)
Dimension B:
SEAT THE BEARING AGAINST THE BASE OF THE BEARING RETAINER AND MEASURE FROM THE FACE OF THE BEARING TO FACE OF THE TRANSMISSION WHERE IT TOUCHES BELL HOUSING. RECORD YOUR MEASUREMENT HERE :.47(my number)

USE THE FOLLOWING FORMULA TO DETERMINE NUMBER OF SHIMS REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE A .150-.200 CLEARNCE TO THE FINGERS

(BELL TO FINGERS(DIMENSION A) - BEARING FACE TO TRANSMISSION FACE(DIMENSION B)- .150= X , THEN X DIVIDED BY SHIM THICKNESS (.090)= NUMBER OF SHIMS REQUIRED."

so i do 2.13- .47-.150= 1.51
then i do 1.51/.090= 16.7 shims.

Now what im trying to grasp here is if i put 16.7 shims,keep in mind the kit only supplies 10 shims, and with all 10 shims on the throwout bearing is basically on the end of the slave base. and our calculations say we need six more shims. friend called up someone and they said your going to need to use a GM throwout bearing or an adapter plate for the firewall to compensate or im going to have to start notching my bell housing which im not too wild about seeing as it seems kind of ghetto...

What are my options here, i called tech support and they'll be contacting me back supposedly in the next 24 hours, but im hoping to get a little more insight from you guys, Any advice is appreciated. Do they make spacer plates for LS7 flywheels, will it help? or do i need a different throwout bearing? if i need a different throwout bearing such as the OEM GM will it work with my kit? IS there even a difference between throwout bearings length wise?

I can get part numbers if that helps as well as get the directions up here for the kit.
Thanks in advance, if i confused anyone other than myself let me know so i can try and help clarify my meaning

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech