Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
L695speed

Just want some thoughts on this....

But before I go any further, please, I KNOW rattle can jobs are not generally approved. Eventually I will get this thing painted right. But for now I would like to address that failed third gen paint job that is flaking off. Would like to at least get the car in one color again. I don't want to go the Maaco route, because that may just create more work in the long run.

I know a few people here have painted their cars with a roller, I also know some people rattle can the car. Right now I have everything from bare metal, to rust, to etch primer and original paint. Here is what I'm thinking.

Strip the original paint off everything using airplane paint stripper. Decals included. The plastic pieces I'll wait til someone has a better suggestion, but it sounds from talking with body guys that sandpaper is better there. Anyway, strip off everything with airplane stripper, take the rust down to metal as far as I can go. Hit the car with Rust Encapsulator, then primer, then maybe....(I don't know how far I will take it.) color. I will likely just stop at primer and use an all weather primer that can handle water. I would paint the car in my garage but my air compressor I believe is only 10 gallons, I don't think that is enough to do a decent job. Not to mention the fumes linger.

Should I go through the trouble? Or should I just hit the places that are bare metal, treat the rust, then leave it til I get the money to have the rot fixed and the body painted right?
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

Is it worth the investment of time and effort for you? And do you think it will come good enough for you to be satisfied till you can do full paint.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
maroman88
12 Second Club

ive had good luck with Macco (saddle brook), do the prep work urself, they do a final sanding and paint and i think its worth every penny, both of my 88 Camaros were done there, one artic white and one medium maui blue metallic
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
ive had good luck with Macco (saddle brook), do the prep work urself, they do a final sanding and paint and i think its worth every penny, both of my 88 Camaros were done there, one artic white and one medium maui blue metallic
Will they go as far as replacing the floors? If not then I'll consider the them for the paint work and have the metal work done by someone else. I'd do it myself, however welding isn't exactly my area or expertise. I can do it, just won't be pretty. I found I was a better painter than welder when I was in school but that was a couple years ago. I've prepped some cars in the past so I know whats involved. How far did you go? I can disassemble the trim and take apart the GFX blah blah blah. Hell, I'd go as far as removing the bumper covers and rear spoiler.

I do know I need to completely strip the paint off the metal as its flaking off. Once it does that you've got no choice and it has to come off.

Now the car does have rot issues on the floor, the rockers, a couple spots in the back and in front of the drivers door under the fender. But this one is saveable. The T top bar was pristine. And I could easily do a lot worse here in the north east.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
1320B4U

Check your pm. Also for a rattle can job, just hit all low areas to make them even and just apply. Most likely, the next body guy will redo the work to make it perfect so your essentially doing it twice...this is just for the interium and not permenant so don't go overboard.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
maroman88
12 Second Club

i removed the spoiler, emblems and all the lights, sanded the chipped up bumper covers and filled a few dings before bringing for paint, it was a completely rust free car so i didnt have that issue, but i wouldnt let them weld floors in
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
evilz99

Ive had great luck with maaco too and you cant beat a thousand dollar paint job. Just stay away from the single stage jobs they have for cheap and get the singature series which is base coat clear coat.
99 Z28 A4, Mufflex 4" catback, SLP lid and ram air, bbk 80mm tb, GMS MAS, Ls6 Intake, poly mm's, pacesetter lts and ORY, REVMAX 3600 Stall, Founders PH Bar and LCA's with relocation brackets, qa1 front coilovers with 300lb springs, heater hose mod, umi tunnel mount torque arm with ds loop. ACE Racing 4l60e, 3.42s.
evilz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilz99 View Post
Ive had great luck with maaco too and you cant beat a thousand dollar paint job. Just stay away from the single stage jobs they have for cheap and get the singature series which is base coat clear coat.
Yeah I know someone who went that route, the single stage job lasted awhile but it was spider cracking in several areas after 2 or 3 years. No matter what I do I was going base clear. As I've said, my car has rust issues that need to be fixed right. Not insane but I'd like it done right. A couple patches here and here, a new battery tray, maybe new floors and that should be it.

If the car is complete and a runner maybe I'll have the SFCs welded in if they're willing to do it and do it right (on a drive on lift). I need a motor and a few misc brake parts, other than that its tires and an alignment. That should be it mechanically. Providing no new problems crop up in test runs. Assuming I have it running by the end of summer, (if I just drop a Vortec motor in and go leaving upgrades for later) I may have it painted within the next year or two.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
evilz99

yeah if you have a lot of body work than I dont know if I would go the maaco route. But if you know a body work guy you may be able to pay him to do it and go to maaco and still be a lot cheaper and look just as good...

If you go to maaco just do like you should with any other paint shop. CHECK CHECK CHECK! Look at that bi*ch with a fine tooth comb and if you find something they will fix it with out a problem. My friend hit a deer and had took his previously PERFECT SS to Ideal body and frame in Vineland, Which is supposed to be one of the best in the area. His insurance got charged 8K!!!!!!! And you wouldnt believ the screw ups he was left with. They fixed it but still a pain in the ass to deal with from "one of the best"...
99 Z28 A4, Mufflex 4" catback, SLP lid and ram air, bbk 80mm tb, GMS MAS, Ls6 Intake, poly mm's, pacesetter lts and ORY, REVMAX 3600 Stall, Founders PH Bar and LCA's with relocation brackets, qa1 front coilovers with 300lb springs, heater hose mod, umi tunnel mount torque arm with ds loop. ACE Racing 4l60e, 3.42s.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
L695speed

Quote:
If you go to maaco just do like you should with any other paint shop. CHECK CHECK CHECK! Look at that bi*ch with a fine tooth comb and if you find something they will fix it with out a problem. My friend hit a deer and had took his previously PERFECT SS to Ideal body and frame in Vineland, Which is supposed to be one of the best in the area. His insurance got charged 8K!!!!!!! And you wouldnt believ the screw ups he was left with. They fixed it but still a pain in the ass to deal with from "one of the best"...
I was looking over the lot at the Pine Island Macco, a couple of cars really did look quite good. Ofc, it was Easter Sunday so they weren't open. But I know where it is. I'm def going to talk to them about the metal work. I have a name for a guy in NC to go to for paint but its NC. I'd paint it myself, but I'm in a rural neighborhood, people might complain. If they feel the metal work will be an issue, or I don't get a good vibe from them about it, I have a few options more local to ask about having the metalwork done.

I'm surprised insurance didn't total it with that much damage, they totalled my brother's WRX with less money in repairs.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

ive done 2 cars with rattle cans, and 1 car with a gun in my driveway. zero painting expirience at all.

prep the car like no tommaro, and go at it nice and easy. dont lay on the paint heavy or itll look like junk. just go nice and easy with the rattle can and it doesnt come out half bad.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
evilz99

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
I was looking over the lot at the Pine Island Macco, a couple of cars really did look quite good. Ofc, it was Easter Sunday so they weren't open. But I know where it is. I'm def going to talk to them about the metal work. I have a name for a guy in NC to go to for paint but its NC. I'd paint it myself, but I'm in a rural neighborhood, people might complain. If they feel the metal work will be an issue, or I don't get a good vibe from them about it, I have a few options more local to ask about having the metalwork done.

I'm surprised insurance didn't total it with that much damage, they totalled my brother's WRX with less money in repairs.
the camaro had like 25k on it so it was like right on the line of being totaled the adjuster actually told him if one more thing was damaged they would have.

The maaco I use is on fries mill rd in turnersville and they are notorious in the area for being the best and only maaco to go to
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
usp55

Quote:
The maaco I use is on fries mill rd in turnersville and they are notorious in the area for being the best and only maaco to go to
really? I live right down the street. what level paint job did you go with?

Last edited by usp55; 04-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance