Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
thedugan

Social Networks:

Looking for a garage lift

Looking to get a 4post or 2post installed in my garage in the next month. Need to find an installer. Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody on the board a retailer/installer? I'm located in Somerville. I'm not on the boards very often with work. Thanks all and be safe.
Doug
Old 05-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
thedugan

Social Networks:

If you have a home lift and are happy with your installer please let me know. Thanks, Doug
Old 05-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
V
Stalker

I haven't gotten a lift yet but I will most likely get a 4 post bend-pak once my garage addition is built. I would be doing the install myself so I can't help you with a recommendation there. However, you said you are getting either a 2 post or 4 post. That's where maybe I can help a little. My advice as far as which one to get is to look at what it will mainly be used for and how often. Years ago a 2 post would have been my choice since I was always stripping or flipping cars and always working on something. But now I would mainly be using a lift for additional storage. I have 6 cars currently and want to have as many at home as possible(small driveway). I would only take the car off the lift to drive it or do work on another car. I just wouldn't want to use a 2 post lift for extended storage time up in the air with suspension unloaded. Also, 4 post lifts can be freestanding depending on model and manufacturer whereas any 2 post lift must be securely anchored to the garage floor and sometimes you need certain concrete floor requirements (thickness/strength). In the future, I may look to get a 2 post lift as well for my other bay but that isnt definite yet. So ultimately, the lift you get depends on how you are going to use it.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
KevinW

I installed a 4 post Backyard buddy in my garage back in 2000 with some friends (1 with a Kubota ). Not hard except for the weight of the side with the rams 500+lbs. So we used the tractor (front end loader) to move that one.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
The_Bishop
Power Member

A 4-post/drive in lift is limited. Good for fast fluid changes, a lot of other stuff and you're back to being on the ground with jackstands.

A 2-post/frame lift can do everything. If you need versatility, a 2 post is the way to go.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Eh, depends. You can go shade tree and use small jacks or lower the car onto stands from the ramp or go baller and get integrated air jack(s)
Old 05-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
thedugan

Social Networks:

Thanks guys. If my concrete is thick enough im going with a 2post. If not I have to go with the 4 post. Not redoing the concrete. Don't have time to wait for the virus to lift so I can have a lift install party with my friends. Need an installer who can come and install asap. Ill call Greg Smith and see who they have that can install over the next few weeks.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
The_Bishop
Power Member

You can always cut the floor and pour footings for the two post.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
thedugan

Social Networks:

yep got that. Not cutting the floor.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
TaKid455

Went with a 4 post for the house garage. Its main intent is to add vehicle storage capacity. Prefer the 4 post as it keeps the suspension loaded and don't have to worry about body flex. I set it up with a friend helping. It wasn't difficult. Just make sure its level and the post cables allow the ramps to move evenly and not get cocked.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedugan View Post
Thanks guys. If my concrete is thick enough im going with a 2post. If not I have to go with the 4 post. Not redoing the concrete. Don't have time to wait for the virus to lift so I can have a lift install party with my friends. Need an installer who can come and install asap. Ill call Greg Smith and see who they have that can install over the next few weeks.
My friend Dave got his via Greg Smith

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 05-11-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction