Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

NJ Car Title Question

Two names on a car title, how can I remove one?

I cant find anything of value on the DMV site.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
V
Stalker

Basically you have to do a sale. Both parties sign the current title under sellers, and only you sign again under buyer. Then you take the title to the DMV and get a new title.

You will most likely need to get a new registration as well since the old one corresponds to the two-name title. Unless they have corrected problems with it since 2004....

I did this back then with a car that had a cosigner, and after the car was paid off, I only needed my name on the title. DMV told me then the registration was still fine, but over the next few weeks, I kept getting pulled over for "plates not issued". In one system plates just came back to a "Chevrolet", no year or model, and my name. The other system said "plates not issued". One time it was a friend who pulled me over about it, and then I had my gf's father run my plates. They were both kinda confused since it was partially in the system but not really. When I went to the DMV and told them, they acted clueless after they ran the plate and it came up "not issued" until i said something about the "other" system. The guy looked at me and said something like, oh you know about that one? and looked and that had some info so they knew something got messed up somewhere and they had me re-register the car to fix it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
LTb1ow

Ok, easy enough, just sucks I will end up paying more to this lousy state.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Don't know the answer but I'd guess you would want the other name on the title to go with you to the DMV to transfer ownership completely OR perhaps a signed letter (maybe w/ power of attorney or notarized) to get it done solo.

I've heard folks have had reasonably good luck sending in a question to the DMV and getting a response in a timely manner. I'd be detailed in your question to avoid a generic/unhelpful response.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
LTb1ow

Thought I had, can I sell the vehicle to myself as stated above, but then just transfer title to my PA address and not deal with NJ DMV at all?

The only thing I foresee being a issue is PA red flagging a transfer into state within 6 months, but if I sell it to myself for $0 there's no sales tax anyway.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
The only thing I foresee being a issue is PA red flagging a transfer into state within 6 months, but if I sell it to myself for $0 there's no sales tax anyway.
HA! PA charged me Sales tax on some of my vehicles when I moved to the state. I asked what the criteria was and they said something about length of ownership but wouldn't tell me more than that. I didn't bother transferring them all because I didn't want to get boned for more taxes. Glad I didn't now that I am back in Jersey
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
LTb1ow

This is from PennDot

"If you hold a valid title issued in another state and have owned the vehicle 6 months or more before moving to Pennsylvania, you will not be required to pay any sales tax when you register your vehicle in Pennsylvania."
Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

That's good. They must have changed it. I definitely paid sales tax on vehicles I owned more than 6 months
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge