Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #76
evildante

also it looks like some parts on the Carb. are missing. on the choke

Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #77
evildante

Hi @ L695speed, I would very much appreciate that if you would not mind. So far I have capped off all the open vacuum hose lines I found. I changed the fuel filter and have replaced 5 of the 8 spark plugs. The only spark plus that I could not remove where the 1st and last driver side ones and the last passenger side one. Over all I'm glad I bought this Camaro for a car that's 29 years old it's in very good shape. The engine is missing some parts the owner pulled out but the engine does run. There is very little rust I noticed so far. The interior is in ok shape. Just needs some parts and need to check fuses and electrical and the T-Top doesn't leak and the paint is in ok shape. Plus from what it sounds like Carb. is the way to go with this car. So I'm really hoping that this engine can be fixed.

Last edited by evildante; 05-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.
evildante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #78
L695speed

I sent you a PM to get discussion regarding that off the thread. Check your PMs. There are indeed some parts missing. I went a lil further in the message I sent you. Honestly, if the wiring isn't a total loss, and the engine turns over, I think the car can be revived.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #79
evildante

I'm finally able to use my garage to work on my Camaro.

I would like to start working on it, But I know nothing about fixing cars.

Honestly, I need help with this project.

I think the best first step right now would be for someone that knows about fixing Camaro's. To come and take a look at my car and let me know what has to be fixed, what's missing, etc...

This way I could figure out is it worth fixing up and in a reasonable budget. or sell it and finding a better one.

My starting goal for this project is to have my Camaro able to run with no issues and is safe to drive. So basically as long as the engine, electrical, computers work and are in good shape as well as the body of the car being in good shape. AC would be nice, but with T-Top and windows not the first thing I would worry about.

My plans for this car is to have it as a fun car. Something you take out to drive every once in a while and maybe take to the track, car shows, etc...

Last edited by evildante; 04-28-2017 at 11:28 AM.
evildante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #80
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Other issues you are going to have to deal with are bad gas and the possibility that critters have been using your car for a home and for snacks.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #81
evildante

we don't have snake issues here and I have started up the car and driven it. There seems to be no critters in it. If anything I might need to have all the fluids flushed out and add new fluids.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #82
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildante View Post
we don't have snake issues here and I have started up the car and driven it. There seems to be no critters in it. If anything I might need to have all the fluids flushed out and add new fluids.
That's great you have no critter issues. I've seen cases where rodents have chewed wires clean through. And made nests in unexpected places

Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #83
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

You just chimed back in after 2 years, so go ahead & set the stage for where we're at in this story now.
  • 2 years ago, the car would successfully start on its own.
  • The car would hold an idle just fine.
  • You removed some spark plugs and learned that they needed to be changed. Did you end up changing them all out for new ones?
  • You had previously mentioned replacing the fuel filter with a new one. Did you go through with this?
  • In the last two years, have you been driving the car at all? If so, how often.
  • Does the car currently start?
  • Does it currently hold an idle?
  • You should definitely change the oil & oil filter.
  • If the car has been sitting, then for how long has it been sitting & how much gas has been sitting that tank?

You don't need someone who "know Camaros" to come to your house & look your car over. At this point, someone who knows how to safely set up jack stands & change spark plugs, and knows a thing or two about carburetors will do.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #84
evildante

I did change the spark plus except for one or two because they where in tight places and way to tight even after I used PB blaster on them and some one that I know that had a track car help me with fix up the carb a little we also pulled out some other parts that where not really necessary. I started it up and let it run, but I can't drive it because no insurance so I can register the car. It does drive be I had to move it and park in front of my house.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:28 AM   #85
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
I'm finally able to use my garage to work on my Camaro.

I would like to start working on it, But I know nothing about fixing cars.

Honestly, I need help with this project.

I think the best first step right now would be for someone that knows about fixing Camaro's. To come and take a look at my car and let me know what has to be fixed, what's missing, etc...

This way I could figure out is it worth fixing up and in a reasonable budget. or sell it and finding a better one.

My starting goal for this project is to have my Camaro able to run with no issues and is safe to drive. So basically as long as the engine, electrical, computers work and are in good shape as well as the body of the car being in good shape. AC would be nice, but with T-Top and windows not the first thing I would worry about.

My plans for this car is to have it as a fun car. Something you take out to drive every once in a while and maybe take to the track, car shows, etc...
Quote:
I did change the spark plus except for one or two because they where in tight places and way to tight even after I used PB blaster on them and some one that I know that had a track car help me with fix up the carb a little we also pulled out some other parts that where not really necessary. I started it up and let it run, but I can't drive it because no insurance so I can register the car. It does drive be I had to move it and park in front of my house.
Here's where you lost me:
You mentioned fixing/working on the car, in the context of repairs, about a half-dozen times in that prior post, but haven't mentioned what the issue you're experiencing is yet. It sounds like the car fires up, holds an idle, jas brakes and is driveable... what's stopping you from putting it on the road to take to meets or driving to a mechanically inclined person?

When did you anticipate putting it on insurance? I don't know how ugly your driving record is, but basic Liability coverage on a 31 year old Camaro is probably in the $40-$100/month range and can be done with a 10 minute phone call from anywhere in the world. If the car is drive able and needs to be transported to a repair facility or friend's garage, then it's time to make that call to your insurance company. You're not going to be able to do any of the things you mentioned until the car is legally documented/covered and mechanically sound to drive, so that's kind of a necessarily step here

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #86
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Here's where you lost me:
You mentioned fixing/working on the car, in the context of repairs, about a half-dozen times in that prior post, but haven't mentioned what the issue you're experiencing is yet. It sounds like the car fires up, holds an idle, jas brakes and is driveable... what's stopping you from putting it on the road to take to meets or driving to a mechanically inclined person?

When did you anticipate putting it on insurance? I don't know how ugly your driving record is, but basic Liability coverage on a 31 year old Camaro is probably in the $40-$100/month range and can be done with a 10 minute phone call from anywhere in the world. If the car is drive able and needs to be transported to a repair facility or friend's garage, then it's time to make that call to your insurance company. You're not going to be able to do any of the things you mentioned until the car is legally documented/covered and mechanically sound to drive, so that's kind of a necessarily step here
31 years old will get you QQs, so even cheaper insurance (possibly) and no inspection sticker.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #87
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

The car is old enough to not need to go through inspection at all.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #88
evildante

@jersey mike you asked, "What's stopping you from putting it on the road to take to meets or driving to a mechanically inclined person?"

The answer to that is steady work and money. I have just recently started getting my foot in the door in the field of accounting.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #89
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
The car is old enough to not need to go through inspection at all.
D'oh, you're right.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning