Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry The cycle of stiffs was FINALLY BROKEN!!!!

I went into my part time job at Da Bone this morning, and it was the usual Monday morning...all the wanna bees but couldn'ts were waiting out side to return the parts they couldn't install over the weekend, but there was also a few vehicles with their hoods up as well. All I could think was "f'n grand!" Anywho, we open up, and I get approached by a guy who needs a battery for an Expedition. OK, no prob. Then he axes me if he needs any special tools to remove the old battery. I tell 'em, "nah, just basic handtools, like wrenches." He then proceeds to tell me all he has is a pair of pliars. So, I roll my eyes, make sure my co-workers have the rest of the customers under control, and I grab our store tool kit and head outside. I figure at least I'll get some fresh air while providing what will probably be another free job for the customer. I go out and look under the guys hood, and he has about 3 inches of funky green gook on his battery terminals. I gently bust his balls about it, and say that his problem might be the corosion, and he may not need a new battery. So, I clean up the terminals, and head inside and get our battery tester. I run a test, and it turns out the battery is shot. So, we go inside, and I sell him a battery. We take it outside, and I put it in, and tell him to fire the beast up. It fires right up, and I'm thinking "welp, that's all folks! He'll thank me, hope in his truck, and motor off down the road." Well, I was wrong. He got out of the truck, and handed me a 20 spot! I was so shocked I almost dropped it! He then proceded to tell me that I gave him some of the BEST customer service that he has ever received, and that he was bowled over when I cleaned his terminals and did the battery check, and didn't just automatically sell him a battery. I was really floored! So, I told him that I was glad to help him, but that we weren't allowed to take tips. So, I handed him back the 20, and told him if he wanted to do something for me to call up Bone HQ and put in a good word for me. He said "Will do!" Then I gave him a fist bump, picked up the tools, and did the ubg strut back into da store.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
wretched73

Thats good to hear that there are still good people in the world, and i guess it proves that if you put good out you get good in return
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Nice! It's always good when somebody appreciates the effort you make. That's a nice start to the week.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
gotmudnj

Then I gave him a fist bump, picked up the tools, and did the ubg strut back into da store.

loves this part...nice job man thought i was the only nice guy out their makes two of us.

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
bubba428

**** that...I made more at advance on tips than pay...we weren't allowed to take them either
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
BigAls87Z28

Not to **** on your parade good sir...but if HR catches you taking a tip, you will be fired.

FYI.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudnj View Post
Then I gave him a fist bump, picked up the tools, and did the ubg strut back into da store.

loves this part...nice job man thought i was the only nice guy out their makes two of us.

Thanks, but you will have to stand by yourself as a nice guy. Axe anybody here who knows me, and they will tell you that I am a total prick. And that is on my "good" days!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
bubba428

not to rain on your parade, raining on my parade, but I quit that job 2 years ago...

Last edited by bubba428; 09-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
gotmudnj

if at first they tip you and you say no if they tell you to take it i do only because then your being rude....that was policy at my job i wouldnt take it anyways...just knowing i fixed their car was good enough for me.

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
**** that...I made more at advance on tips than pay...we weren't allowed to take them either
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Not to **** on your parade good sir...but if HR catches you taking a tip, you will be fired.

FYI.

Big Gay Al hit it right on the head, Bubba, you friggin' Piney!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
bubba428

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
Big Gay Al hit it right on the head, Bubba, you friggin' Piney!
again...quit that job 2 years ago...now, I drive a tow truck and make more than my 2 week pay in one week
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #12
Czop418

Good for you man. I would tip you if you worked near i live. Everyone At Advanced or Auto-Zone are Just Plain Stupid. Asked the Other day For polyurethane motor mounts. She then took 10 minutes to find 1 rubber mount. After i told her this isnt the right part she gave me the look like Im the idiot. Then she took another 5 minutes to walk back grab the right one. Now previousley I stated I need both sides. She only brought back one. I told her that there are 2 motor mounts get the driver side. She then proceded to bring me back another of the same Passenger side. Now its 20 Minutes into the Store I have 2 Passenger Side Mounts and shes getting annoyed that im wasting her time. Sad part is she was the Manager.
Czop418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
again...quit that job 2 years ago...now, I drive a tow truck and make more than my 2 week pay in one week

I KNOW that...but I'M STILL working for Da Bone!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czop418 View Post
Good for you man. I would tip you if you worked near i live. Everyone At Advanced or Auto-Zone are Just Plain Stupid. Asked the Other day For polyurethane motor mounts. She then took 10 minutes to find 1 rubber mount. After i told her this isnt the right part she gave me the look like Im the idiot. Then she took another 5 minutes to walk back grab the right one. Now previousley I stated I need both sides. She only brought back one. I told her that there are 2 motor mounts get the driver side. She then proceded to bring me back another of the same Passenger side. Now its 20 Minutes into the Store I have 2 Passenger Side Mounts and shes getting annoyed that im wasting her time. Sad part is she was the Manager.

There are many problems w/ the chain auto parts stores, and your situation, though pathetic, is way too common. My store has pretty sharp people, though. I have 20+ years in the biz, and we have another guy who's been around cars since Henry Ford built his first car. And we are just part timers. One of my managers is really sharp, and he drives an 'ol Shelby Charger. And my head manager is really good, too. Even our younger people aren't idiots like most "kids" you find behind the counter. The biggest problem is the companies themselves. They don't pay worth a squat, and they offer no incentives for quality people to want to work for them. The guys at the top just want to get fatter, the store's performances are pathetic because of the people who do get hired, and the customer get poor service and get pissed off because of it. It's a f'd up cycle.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
Blacdout96

Quote:
There are many problems w/ the chain auto parts stores, and your situation, though pathetic, is way too common. My store has pretty sharp people, though. I have 20+ years in the biz, and we have another guy who's been around cars since Henry Ford built his first car. And we are just part timers. One of my managers is really sharp, and he drives an 'ol Shelby Charger. And my head manager is really good, too. Even our younger people aren't idiots like most "kids" you find behind the counter. The biggest problem is the companies themselves. They don't pay worth a squat, and they offer no incentives for quality people to want to work for them. The guys at the top just want to get fatter, the store's performances are pathetic because of the people who do get hired, and the customer get poor service and get pissed off because of it. It's a f'd up cycle.
but at the same time, these chain stores keep bringing people back weither they are pissed or not. Would you rather pay 100 bucks for brake pads from the dealership, when you can buy them for 30 bucks at the chain? It's ashame cause it ruins good customer communication with stores like ours, who have people who know what they're talking about, who have actually been in this field for a few years, not just hired off the street to fill in for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Dang, when I started reading the post I thought UB is going to take me out on his dime to the IHOP so we can be thrown outta there too!
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 09-29-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
but at the same time, these chain stores keep bringing people back weither they are pissed or not. Would you rather pay 100 bucks for brake pads from the dealership, when you can buy them for 30 bucks at the chain? It's ashame cause it ruins good customer communication with stores like ours, who have people who know what they're talking about, who have actually been in this field for a few years, not just hired off the street to fill in for people.

Heh, makes me think of this one sawed off douche bag who came in one day yelling about an alternator he bought from us that quit on him. He swore up and down he'd never do biz with us again, yet a few days later he was back in to buy some body filler, and he beyotched about the price of that, too.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Dang, when I started reading the post I thought UB is going to take me out on his dime to the IHOP so we can be thrown outta there too!
I'll buy you a rooty, tootie, fresh n' fruity at IHOP, you friggin' hillbilly! When ya wanna go?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
Saitin
Banned

Nice job UBG

At sears I've had people when I told them I couldn't take a tip pass it off in a hand shake or jsut leave it on the counter and walk off, IMO it shouldn't be up to the store if you as ther one who helped them can take a tip or not.
If you made the customer happy enough to give you money then by all means that customer is coming back.
Saitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitin View Post
Nice job UBG

At sears I've had people when I told them I couldn't take a tip pass it off in a hand shake or jsut leave it on the counter and walk off, IMO it shouldn't be up to the store if you as ther one who helped them can take a tip or not.
If you made the customer happy enough to give you money then by all means that customer is coming back.
I agree with you 100%. But it is what it is...

Back in da day, when I worked for Kar Parts I used to pull in all kinds of great tips: money, booze, food, sex...

But dem days is looooooong gone!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Then he axes me if he needs any special tools to remove the old battery.
You spelled.....

Quote:
Thanks, but you will have to stand by yourself as a nice guy. Axe anybody here who knows me, and they will tell you that I am a total prick. And that is on my "good" days!
I would agree with that

Quote:
My store has pretty sharp people, though. Even our younger people aren't idiots like most "kids" you find behind the counter.
That is rare to find, all the ones I have been to are like the rest of them. Maybe I'll start going out there for parts
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
BigAls87Z28

You kiddin me? At Sears, I took any and all tips! It was 400x easier to throw ona set of wiper blades for $5 tip then to write up $20 worth of paperwork for a $4 wiper blade install...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
HeadlessNorseman

Ive made like 200 dollars in tips at goodyear so far just putting air in peoples tires. They hand me 5, 10, 20 bucks sometimes. people are awesome!!!!

edit:
half a corvette engine? really? did you have to?

JSFBOA

Draino?

Last edited by HeadlessNorseman; 10-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey