Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Passed inspection......NJ state insp is such a joke!

Took the car up to Bakers Basin on Sat. for inspection and was kinda worried about 4 things.

1. E-brake might need some adjustment, its at the halfway point +/- in its travel

2. Cats are "missing" some "internal components"

3. Slight exhaust leak at the passenger side header/y-pipe band clamp

4. Block off plate at the cut out located just in front of the rear axle

So I remove the camera mount from the roll bar (kinda obstructs rear view mirror). I undo the back brace for the driver seat, so the seat is adjustable on the tracks in case a short dude jumps in and I put the blackout cover on the raptor shift light just so its one less thing to grab attention.

I take the car for a good run, get it nice and hot and proceed to the line. They stalled the car about 3 times. Asked all kinds of questions like how fast does it go? etc etc....after all that they failed me for a gas cap??? What the F? Are you kidding me? Your crack staff missed the exhaust leak, didn't pick up on the obvious smell from having cats that are "missing" some internal components, a block off plate on the cut out, but the you fail me on a gas cap? PLEASE. I just smiled, drove across the street got a new cap, and went back through the line. Good for another 2 years. I took the new cap back off and tucked it safely away for next time. They didn't pick up the front end? Never even popped the hood?

The guy at the end of the line was kinda of a big dude (not Schwartze****** big, but ReRun big) and he struggled to get in and out of the car and didn't really fit the 17" hip width of my Kirkey seats, it was funny watching him trying to get in and out. I was gonna bust balls, but figured I better not. (kinda like don't insult the chef until after you have your food)

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
fmybody

haha it really is.. i was worried about my DD 1991 bmw 325i cause its kinda fumey lol, brakes squeel like all hell, has a check oil, brake lining lights...

it failed for a windshield whiper that wasnt tightned so it didnt move, i fixed it in the parking lot and passed haha a joke indeed.
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah gas cap is something you can fail for.

how you like the kirkeys? what ones do you have and how are they mounted? you can pm me if you want.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Always get a new gas cap and keep the receipt with you. That's one of the simple things you can't test yourself and they can fail you for it. But they did test my 88 4Runner for tailpipe emission's and it passed with flying colors thanks to the new 2-1/4" catco cat. I started to do a tuneup this weekend and found the original plugs, burnt cap and burnt rotor. So now I wonder how clean that exhaust is! With OBDII you can program out the rear O2's and it will pass inspection all day long as long as you have cats on the car regardless of how they perform. If they change the law to where they can fail you for custom programming, then a lot of people are in for some fun!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I would get a chuckle at that, those poor ole LS1 boys would be crying.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
yeah gas cap is something you can fail for.

how you like the kirkeys? what ones do you have and how are they mounted? you can pm me if you want.
Go here for the info on my seats....

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44862

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Always get a new gas cap and keep the receipt with you. That's one of the simple things you can't test yourself and they can fail you for it. But they did test my 88 4Runner for tailpipe emission's and it passed with flying colors thanks to the new 2-1/4" catco cat. I started to do a tuneup this weekend and found the original plugs, burnt cap and burnt rotor. So now I wonder how clean that exhaust is! With OBDII you can program out the rear O2's and it will pass inspection all day long as long as you have cats on the car regardless of how they perform. If they change the law to where they can fail you for custom programming, then a lot of people are in for some fun!
There would be a lot of cars/parts for sale cheap. But I was shocked at how little they actually do anymore. They have cameras in the floor and simply look on a video monitor at the exhaust/undercarriage as they drive forward to the oh so wonderful brake test station. It's kind of a double edge sword, I benefit from the lack of thoroughness, but I also don't have any safety issues that are being covered up/overlooked; but how many people are getting through on weak tires, worn suspensions etc etc?

When my I take my 97 Dodge with the CTD through, they just about wave me through and slap a sticker on it. Too heavy to pick the front end up, no diesel emissions...Its lights/horn/tires that's about it.....

Gotta love NJ....our tax dollars at work....

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

new program has diesel emissions, i believe its still for heavy duty only though.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
crazyblazer87

for '96 and up vehicles they only check your computer for codes. If the check engine light is off and all of the emission tests were completed you would pass for the majority. They still test your gas cap, but IMO the vehicle's test can detect a bad cap.

As for diesel emissions i believe they started regulations on them in 2007 or 2008 and newer vehicles.
'14 Charger
crazyblazer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Mike
BadMod

yeah, as long as the codes are tuned out, and you "visually" have cats, thats good enough for them. they wont care about the shift light, or the cut out as long as its not controllable from inside the car (or the switch is somewhere they cant find it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Mulletbird

My diesel failed ... b/c the CB Radio was in the way of the inspection sticker. Otherwise, they would've passed, and it bodyrolls like a bitch. Took the CB out (left wires hanging all over the place) and they passed it.
2007 Mazda3s
Mulletbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
ws6 jim

Good deal. I passed with flying colors last month on my 3rd gen which was a relief and then Im going with my 4th gen this friday. Then I'll be relieved.
2001 XJ SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!
ws6 jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
andy78TA

My explorer passed just a few months ago and my brakes were terrible which I just replaced now, I do not have an E-brake at all, I did not have high beams at the moment and I still had my off road lights on the truck which I failed for 2 years ago. It was the end of the day and I forgot about the off road lights so I said to the guy, I will take these off right now I have the tool right here next to me. He looked at me, looked at the front of the car and said "I don't see any lights". Passed everything else..... makes no sense to me, but im grateful haha
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Collector car sticker here (FTW). Before that, my car would pass the plug-in with flying colors. OBD-II car mind you. It would fail the visual horribly though LOL.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Mulletbird

Why'd it fail the visual inspection???
2007 Mazda3s
Mulletbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
nuttyprofessor

definitely think NJ state inspections are a giant joke. I was behind a car that only had a single bulb inthe third brake light working and I had to tell the guy because he passed it. He then double checked and failed it, but he shoudl have caught the fact that there were no brake lights.

2 weeks ago my neighbor had just passed NJ inspection but asked me why her brakes felt in her words "wierd". I then pulled the tires off to look at them and the pads were missing on the driver's side front. what a joke this system is....
nuttyprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
cdacda13

Wow. I really need to go to your inspection places. Every car I've ever brought through the Wayne Inspection Station, has failed.
1990 Firebird, e-brake and brake lights.
1992 Camaro- Rear brakes, and gas cap.
2004 Sierra- Not enough miles on the PCM after reset. (Battery died two days before I went to get it inspected)
Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
jts98z28

im really worried about inspection....im 99.999999% sure im gonna fail with flying colors
jts98z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
Foosh

Theres always private inspection, sure it costs a few dollars but its worth knowing your not gonna fail.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Theres always private inspection, sure it costs a few dollars but its worth knowing your not gonna fail.
It's certainly still possible to "buy" inspection stickers, but it's getting harder and harder to do so since the penalties and fines for shops are growing.

My dad won't even put a sticker on my Jeep for me (it's lifted - private shops aren't allowed to inspect 'em), and he's passed everything else I have owned with flying colors for years now.

Too much risk these days.....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
jts98z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
It's certainly still possible to "buy" inspection stickers, but it's getting harder and harder to do so since the penalties and fines for shops are growing.

My dad won't even put a sticker on my Jeep for me (it's lifted - private shops aren't allowed to inspect 'em), and he's passed everything else I have owned with flying colors for years now.

Too much risk these days.....

- Justin
im just accepting being screwed til i find somewhere or make it more legal lol
jts98z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
Firebird92

they fail me because the car was too low.
I raised hell like that's the stock height. They said no, your a inch lower
the springs are like 18 years old there's going to be some kind of play after that i mean come on.

But yea they passed some dropped honda with the fart can exhaust. What a f-ing joke
Firebird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
racerx520

ive heard of people failing for windshield wipers not being in good enough condition.
i fail every time i go lol and its always some b.s. reason.
two times ago it was cuz my steering wheel had some play in it (yeah it was pretty dangerous cuz the bolts for the tilt were almost out cuz its really old.) but the biggest joke was the guy (in the middle of august) revving the engine while its just sitting there. he failed me and i fixed the problem. went back and got the douche again, he said 'oh yeah, i just havet o bring it to the end and put a sticker on it' and what does he do while waiting for everyone else? he revv's the damn engine again for like 10 minutes and almost runs into a mazda miata.

just recently i failed cuz 1 tire was in bad shape (just the outside edge, it had plenty of meat on it). so i came home, put my dad's monte carlo tires on it and went back that day and they passed me. didnt even seem to care that i just put a temp fix on it. i think i coulda told them 'yeah man, im gonna put the crappy old tire back on here when i get home' and they would have still passed me lol

NJ dmv is a joke, im glad to hear you can pass with 'modified' cats, i'll have to look into that. i wonder if i can just leave my dump valve on there next time lol

racerx520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #24
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Sure sounds similar, last time I went in with the gtp they failed me for the windshield wipers but had no problem with the bullet muffler in place of the cat. I ain't complaining though

Last edited by foff667; 01-02-2010 at 09:07 PM.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #25
Adam1978

i took a 1999 Suburban through NJ inspection, this thing had ABS Failure lights on, Air Bag Failure lights on, 4x4 Failure lights on, Check Engine light on, had a cracked pass mirror, blown rear shocks, and a failing CV joint, (there's probably more i forget) they failed me for hanging exhaust parts (the tail pipe was one of the few pieces of exhaust still on the car) but i passes emissions and everything else lol
Adam1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey