Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Phoenixfire1989

blowing alternators?

So, my 86 has had this issue for quite a while. I'm unsure if it's because everything is manually run on the car now instead of being hooked to a computer. The car has a charging issue. In the past year, i've replaced 3 alternators. I had i think a 78 in it, which was low. I have a 94 in it now, but the ac compressor drops my gauge down to around 11 from 14. The engine no longer kicks up the idle when i run more things..and the car idles low around 500rpms. I know the gasket around the carb was leaking..so i'm sure it's not helping. Anyone have any suggestions?
Car has a 350 Chevy crate. Not sure if the sound system might be hurting it. I have 2 amps, and a sub box in the back. The lights dim every time the bass hits

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
Attempting to race old junk since 2009
~Jamie
Phoenixfire1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
greenformula92

As I remember correctly the only way a carbed engine will kick up under a load is by a little soleloind that just kinda pushes the thottle open a little bit. its usually located right in front on the throttle linkage. Carb gasket is a piece of cake. PM me if you need/want it done.

You shouldn't be going through alternator's like that but it should have nothing to do with having a ECM or not. You may be burning them up because the engine isn't kicking up and putting the alternator under a heavy strain. It's certainly possible. Or something is shorting out somewhere.

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

With two amplifiers and a low output alternator it isn't uncommon to have the lights dim when the volume is up..

You are probably burning the alternators out because of the constant overload from the extra electrical draw of the additional components.

Most people that run a high output stereo will also run a high output alternator and a capacitor. The higher output alternator will keep up with the demand without overheating and the capacitor will clean up the supply so the voltage won't dip when the stereo is turned up and the bass hits.

The idle "kick up" (much like lock up) was a funtion of your computer which is no longer in use. It mainly worked with the A/C and power steering. You can turn the idle up a little manually to help this, I wouldn't go further than 800 in neutral being that your car has a tight torque converter to avoid the car slamming into gear and trying to "drive itself" without your foot on the gas.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
townsend

get a cs144 alternator for a 1993 cadillac fleetwood, it has the built in instant exciter on it. your gonna have to swap your v-belt pulley to it, and also get a mr. gasket longer style single bolt alt bracket, or modify your stock one for use. use a 2 gauge lead from the alternator output to the battery positive. also do a 2 gauge or 0 gauge ground for battery, and the same from one of the heads to the body. make sure to use good wire and sand your connections to bare metal. i would also recommend a cap for your amps.

my 87 actually burned up some ecm stuff and a fuel pump because of the constant low voltage from my dinky stock style alt and massive amp draw from the fans/stereo going on at the same time. once i did this upgrade i never had any problems, not even lights dimming with the fans on headlights on and stereo bumpin.

if you wanna try this mod ill find the link that i used for my install.

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile

Last edited by townsend; 05-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
3.4 grape of wrath

What condition is your battery in? A bad or incorrect battery will also cause the alternator to burn up.
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
What condition is your battery in? A bad or incorrect battery will also cause the alternator to burn up.
Battery is a brand new diehard

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
With two amplifiers and a low output alternator it isn't uncommon to have the lights dim when the volume is up..

You are probably burning the alternators out because of the constant overload from the extra electrical draw of the additional components.

Most people that run a high output stereo will also run a high output alternator and a capacitor. The higher output alternator will keep up with the demand without overheating and the capacitor will clean up the supply so the voltage won't dip when the stereo is turned up and the bass hits.

The idle "kick up" (much like lock up) was a funtion of your computer which is no longer in use. It mainly worked with the A/C and power steering. You can turn the idle up a little manually to help this, I wouldn't go further than 800 in neutral being that your car has a tight torque converter to avoid the car slamming into gear and trying to "drive itself" without your foot on the gas.
If i have to replace it again..i think the next output higher is 114. Hopefully it will be another 6 months atleast =)

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
As I remember correctly the only way a carbed engine will kick up under a load is by a little soleloind that just kinda pushes the thottle open a little bit. its usually located right in front on the throttle linkage. Carb gasket is a piece of cake. PM me if you need/want it done.

You shouldn't be going through alternator's like that but it should have nothing to do with having a ECM or not. You may be burning them up because the engine isn't kicking up and putting the alternator under a heavy strain. It's certainly possible. Or something is shorting out somewhere.
Thanks mike! i actually had polar bear help with it, but it refused to seal with a new gasket. Could be bowed maybe from the extreme heat or something. We did the inevitable and tried to seal it with silicone, but i haven't tested it yet because of the rain/lazyness =)

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

I know Powermaster makes a 140amp.. They may also have one even bigger than that..
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i believe they make throttle kickers for carbs. push the idle up when the AC comes on.

might also check size and condition of battery cables and grounds. amazing the issues poor cables can cause.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
I know Powermaster makes a 140amp.. They may also have one even bigger than that..
Thanks josh. If i blow another, i'll check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
i believe they make throttle kickers for carbs. push the idle up when the AC comes on.

might also check size and condition of battery cables and grounds. amazing the issues poor cables can cause.
never heard of throttle kickers..i'll have to do some research

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

http://www.holley.com/46-74.asp

fast idle solenoids

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I have an edlebrock performer Q-jet... don't know if that would work, especially without a computer? The computer is still in my car..it just seems very little is actually hooked up to it

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i just found a sample. search the edelbrock site. idle solenoid does not need computer. there were carbs and cars with AC long before computers.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Your car may have a lead off of the a/c compressor trigger that would have gone to the kick up solenoid.. If so that should still be useable..
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

But if the alternator can't keep up with the electrical load you will still be overworking it..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Phoenixfire1989

Quote:
Your car may have a lead off of the a/c compressor trigger that would have gone to the kick up solenoid.. If so that should still be useable..
Quote:
But if the alternator can't keep up with the electrical load you will still be overworking it..
Oh, i'm sure i'll be replacing the alternator again at some point. The soleoid, i wouldn't even know what to look for. AS you saw, most of the car is there..alot of things were just unhooked and such. As for the ac, i don't think it worked when i bought the car so i never really tried turning it on. I know with the setup i have, the compressor kicks on just going over the controls to heat. the idle drops drastically only when i turn the ac on for now. It's something with the compressor and the way it's hooked up that's causing the issue. With everything else on, it's been holding for now around 13

1989 Formula
1986 T/A
~Jamie

Last edited by Phoenixfire1989; 05-07-2012 at 02:35 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech