Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
69RSZ

As of august 1st

Just heard on news 12 that NJ inspection will only consist of emission testing and mechanical testing will be discontinued.And new cars wont be inspected untill they are 5 yrs old.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
maroman88
12 Second Club

lol awesome... looks like ill wait to get the firebird inspected
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
69RSZ

here is the letter

P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ
Media Contact:
Mike Horan
(609) 292-5203
Public Information:
(888) 486-3339
RELEASE: July 16, 2010

en Espanol

MVC Chief Encourages Vehicle Owner Responsibility as State Inspection Program Changes August 1

(TRENTON) – Beginning August 1, biennial passenger vehicle inspections will entail only an emissions check and the exemption for new and used vehicles four years old or newer will be extended to five years under program changes announced today by New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) Chief Administrator Raymond P. Martinez. The changes, which will produce an approximate annual savings of $17 million, will take effect as the MVC continues its efforts to encourage vehicle owner responsibility and regular maintenance through its NJ Inspections public education campaign.

While announcing the changes to the state’s Enhanced Motor Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Program, Martinez also stressed the need for vehicle owners to take proper care of their cars and trucks with regular maintenance, including oil changes, tire pressure checks and replacement, brake repairs and general tune ups. In 2009, the MVC, along with DEP, launched the NJ Inspections campaign aimed at educating vehicle owners about the importance of vehicle maintenance and servicing vehicles in between inspection visits.

“Owning a vehicle is just as much of a responsibility as driving one,” said Martinez. “Not only must a driver act responsibly behind the wheel, but keeping the vehicle well maintained and road ready is equally important. This is why our local service stations and auto dealerships play such a critical role in helping to keep our cars and trucks in excellent working shape with regular servicing.”

Soon to join 29 other jurisdictions, including California, Connecticut and Illinois, New Jersey-registered passenger vehicles required to submit for an inspection every two years will no longer be reviewed for mechanical-related defects. Inspectors will only conduct an emissions test. Of the 1.9 million initial vehicle inspections conducted annually at centralized lanes, only six percent are rejected for more serious mechanical defects related to brakes, steering, suspension or tires.

Despite this elimination of mechanical inspections, law enforcement may still cite a motorist for equipment out of compliance or failure to make repairs. MVC Mobile Inspection Teams will continue to regularly assist state and local law enforcement in conducting random vehicle inspections statewide. Vehicles that fail an inspection for mechanical defects prior to the start of the August 1 changes will still require repair and a re-inspection in order to obtain a valid inspection sticker.

Additionally, the exemption for new and used vehicles four model years old and newer will expand to five years. Presently, these vehicles are not required to be inspected until they are four years old from the date of registration, followed by regular inspections every two years. Vehicles will be provided with five-year stickers at the time of purchase, but those already on the road will receive a “1-Year Extension” sticker in the mail. Owners will be required to attach the extension sticker to the inspection decal already on the vehicle’s windshield.

“Cars are now made cleaner, more efficient, and with less than six percent of newer vehicles failing emissions testing, this was a common sense decision for the MVC,” added Martinez. “The extension allows New Jersey to maintain its stringent emissions testing while MVC customers gain the convenience of one additional year before they have to visit the inspection lanes.”

Changes to the I/M program will be implemented as a part of the MVC’s fiscal year 2011 budget. The changes, specifically the elimination of mechanical defect inspections, were proposed after a careful review of data, reports and studies related to vehicle inspections. States, educational institutions and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have all studied the issue of vehicle inspections with data inconclusive as to their effectiveness.

“If we’re going to invest millions of taxpayer dollars year after year in a program, then it is essential that we be able to justify the expense and effectiveness of said program,” said Martinez. “With a lack of conclusive data, and the current fiscal crisis, we cannot justify this expense.”

Along with the change to the inspection of passenger vehicles, motorcycles and certain diesel-powered vehicles will no longer be required to submit for an inspection every two years. None of these vehicles presently undergo an emissions test. It should be noted that school buses, limousines, jitneys, taxis and other commercial-plated vehicles will still be inspected regularly for emissions and mechanical defects as outlined in state law.

Each year, the state’s 29 centralized inspection lanes conduct 2.4 million inspections/re-inspections, while an additional 578,000 are done for a fee by more than 1,100 licensed, private facilities. More information about New Jersey’s vehicle inspection program is available at www.njinspections.com.

FAQs- Frequently Asked Questions
Changes effective August 1, 2010- emissions check only [pdf]
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
baddest434
8 Second Club

damn i just took my silverado though inspection 3 days ago. after sitting in line for 25 minutes i get pulled into the garage the inspector checks the weight of the truck and tells me the truck is to heavy for that lane go get in line in lane 1. (needless to say there were no signs directing any vechile to any certain lane!!) waited there for 15 more minutes so am glad about this. i hate anything to do with the DMV.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Sweet. It looks like the the big Cummins Powered Dodge will never see an inspection lane ever again. It was a total waste of time anyway. No emissions and no real mechanical inspection as the truck was too heavy to lift up or do much of anything with.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
trashman01
15 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
Sweet. It looks like the the big Cummins Powered Dodge will never see an inspection lane ever again. It was a total waste of time anyway. No emissions and no real mechanical inspection as the truck was too heavy to lift up or do much of anything with.

lucky, up here in CT we just do emissions(no safety, been that way since the early 80s) but diesels must pass emission test, and the DOT has the right to pull over a diesel pick up to check it just like they do with class C, B, A vehicles

next up - 3" lift, Gutted cat/retune/muffler

Past Toys:
1983 Trans AM, 1988 Trans AM, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off-Road, 1986 Camaro IROC, 1984 Chevy K10 lifted, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD
trashman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
The Fixer

Does anyone know what they're doing with the OBD I (pre-'95) cars? Are they going back to a tailpipe idle test like the old days, or still running the dyno on them?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

I was actually expecting a longer delay. Anyone have info as to whether or not window tint is included under "Mechanical?" I mean, it's certainly not emissions related, but...
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
I was actually expecting a longer delay. Anyone have info as to whether or not window tint is included under "Mechanical?" I mean, it's certainly not emissions related, but...
IIRC, you won't fail inspection for tints, but you can still be ticketed by the police since it's on the MVC code as being illegal. Same deal with the front license plate - you won't fail inspection if you don't have it, but you can get a ticket.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
r0nin89

Hoorah! No more inspection woes for lifted trucks!

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Hoorah! No more inspection woes for lifted trucks!

I feel there may still be some cluas that covers tilt testing needing to be required.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
I feel there may still be some cluas that covers tilt testing needing to be required.
Ballz

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
Does anyone know what they're doing with the OBD I (pre-'95) cars? Are they going back to a tailpipe idle test like the old days, or still running the dyno on them?
95 and older cars have been getting an idle tail pipe test since april 09

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 07-17-2010 at 05:01 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

does this mean i can Roll up to inspection with my big black VFN SS hood, purple HIDs and tint ? and as far as emissions goes, i guess they will still be checking for cats?

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
95 and older cars have been getting a tail pipe test since april 09
he asked if the tail pipe idle test would be at idle or still done on the rollers.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
Frosty

Part of me like that change so you guys won't fail for stupid BS like window tint and crap like that.

The other part of me kind of worries...most people are completely retarded when it comes to cars...oh my pads are at 2/32's? Still plenty of meat on them! My front axle boot is leaking like Niagra Falls? It's just fine....

I like what Christie is doing over there on some things...not sure if this is an area that should be cut....
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
Firebird92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman01 View Post
lucky, up here in CT we just do emissions(no safety, been that way since the early 80s) but diesels must pass emission test, and the DOT has the right to pull over a diesel pick up to check it just like they do with class C, B, A vehicles

really wow I didn't know that ... and they give you a weight and emission♦ test on the spot ... damn
Firebird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
he asked if the tail pipe idle test would be at idle or still done on the rollers.
Idle test - the rollers are now useless as far as inspections go.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
forgot to put in idle. its been an idle test since april 09.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Does emissions include exhaust volume, or will it strictly be the readings?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.

Last edited by Savage_Messiah; 07-17-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
BigAls87Z28

I wonder if that means they will now be looking for emissions stuff.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #22
SRGN

Keep in mind that local LEOs will now be more conscious of vehicle condition. Since the state is no longer taking responsibility for keeping the mechanically unsafe vehicles off the road, cash strapped municipalities will be ready to take up the slack, so to speak. I foresee a drastic increase of spot checks in the very near future. Being equipment violations with no points, many will not fight the summons and just pay it.

73 Camaro 25.3 build TT LS in progress
67 Camaro
99 T/A
Other crap not worth mentioning

SRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
Untamed

... blah, blah, blah... we had to reduce state spending in some areas so the inspection stations will get reduced funding, state employees will be paid less since they'll have to do less, and many employees will be moved to part time work ... blah, blah, blah.....
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #24
JW

So will codes no longer matter?

JW
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
So will codes no longer matter?

JW
Yes they will, that's part of the emissions testing.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge