Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
madness410

steering wheel column problem or what? help.

got an 87 camaro...the alignment is absolutely fine, however the steering wheel goes toward the right when its going straight or at idle. any idea what it may be? any input would be appreciated
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
tonymazz1

i had this same problem on my Old Camaro it turned out to be a front brake caliper
Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
madness410

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymazz1 View Post
i had this same problem on my Old Camaro it turned out to be a front brake caliper
whaaaa? how did that affect it
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
tonymazz1

I'm not definetly saying that this is whats wrong with yours but i also looked into the steering column and everything, i finally took it to a mechanic and i was told the caliper was sticking causing the steering wheel to vibrate and pull at low speeds
Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness410 View Post
steering wheel goes toward the right when its going straight or at idle.
if you do mean what i think, as if the cars parked... then your camaro is haunted...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

At idle? So if you center it and then let go it turns by itself? If this is correct, disconnect the power steering and see if it still does it with the engine running. If it doesn't, you know something with the PS is wrong and not the column.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
String

my steering wheel is always to the left abit when the wheels are straight. then again the guy I bought it from put a firebird wheel on it.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah a caliper sticking would not affect idle...i'm goin with its haunted. does it turn or is it just sitting off to the right with the wheels straight?

edit:just saw this is an old thread. did you figure it out?

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 04-29-2008 at 03:31 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
madness410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
yeah a caliper sticking would not affect idle...i'm goin with its haunted. does it turn or is it just sitting off to the right with the wheels straight?

edit:just saw this is an old thread. did you figure it out?
it turns...it sitfs off to the right when the wheels are straight...if i were driving straight the wheel would be to the right. then if i turned the power steering would turn it back and then going straight again would turn the steering wheel back to the right. its wierd.

i havent fixed it yet but ive sort of gotten along with it, but id like to fix it
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well if the steering wheel is off to the right, i would say its misaligned. but i think they only sit one way, not really sure only tightened one up a long time ago. and if it turns by itself, i would think something is bent in the column or something internal in the p/s rack(not too familiar with those) causing it to slump over to the right.

this might be a bad idea, but you could disconnect the steering column from the rack and see if its the rack turning or the column.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
madness410

Quote:
well if the steering wheel is off to the right, i would say its misaligned. but i think they only sit one way, not really sure only tightened one up a long time ago. and if it turns by itself, i would think something is bent in the column or something internal in the p/s rack(not too familiar with those) causing it to slump over to the right.

this might be a bad idea, but you could disconnect the steering column from the rack and see if its the rack turning or the column.
arrite ill definately check that out next week or so...i have 3 finals before the end of this week so im studying my ass off hahah
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

fuuun
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
madness410

Quote:
fuuun
hah not really...but ill look into that steering wheel problem and let u know how it goes. thanks for the advice
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
Teds89IROC

aftermarket steering wheel?
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
it turns...it sitfs off to the right when the wheels are straight...if i were driving straight the wheel would be to the right. then if i turned the power steering would turn it back and then going straight again would turn the steering wheel back to the right. its wierd.

i havent fixed it yet but ive sort of gotten along with it, but id like to fix it
Wait, so if you turn it then goes straight you then have a straight wheel? If you could clarify that we can hone in on it. Or at anytime driving straight the steering wheel is to the right?

If the latter, which I think you are saying, at a minimum you need an alignment - you straighten a wheel with toe adjustment. If the steering wheel is way off then it might need to come off & be put back on moved a spline or 2. But given this is a 3rd gen, I'd sure have the front end checked - idler arm & center link are very common wear items.

If the first scenario you may have parts wear issues or a pump or box problem. Worn hydraulics do weird things.

It is not a column issue.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 04-29-2008 at 10:26 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
madness410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds89IROC View Post
aftermarket steering wheel?
yes its a grant steering wheel

Last edited by madness410; 04-29-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
madness410

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Wait, so if you turn it then goes straight you then have a straight wheel? If you could clarify that we can hone in on it. Or at anytime driving straight the steering wheel is to the right?

If the latter, which I think you are saying, at a minimum you need an alignment - you straighten a wheel with toe adjustment. If the steering wheel is way off then it might need to come off & be put back on moved a spline or 2. But given this is a 3rd gen, I'd sure have the front end checked - idler arm & center link are very common wear items.

If the first scenario you may have parts wear issues or a pump or box problem. Worn hydraulics do weird things.

It is not a column issue.
well...whenever i go straight basically the wheel is turned to the right, but im going straight. the alignment is ok, if i drive straight without my hands on the wheel i can go straight forever. i forgot to mention i do have an aftermarket grant steering wheel
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
well...whenever i go straight basically the wheel is turned to the right, but im going straight. the alignment is ok, if i drive straight without my hands on the wheel i can go straight forever. i forgot to mention i do have an aftermarket grant steering wheel
You are missing the point - toe adjustment is how you straighten a steering wheel. If the s/w is off a lot (say>30* or so) then the wheel has to come off & go back on in a better position. But you still fine tune it with toe. An equal adjustment to toe-in on one side and toe-out on the other straightens the wheel and does not change the alignment. In theory you could do it yourself, but in my experience few people can do this well. Someone with no experience probably cannot.

the fact the wheel is not OE is irrelevant.

<--done 1000s of alignments

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
madness410

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
You are missing the point - toe adjustment is how you straighten a steering wheel. If the s/w is off a lot (say>30* or so) then the wheel has to come off & go back on in a better position. But you still fine tune it with toe. An equal adjustment to toe-in on one side and toe-out on the other straightens the wheel and does not change the alignment. In theory you could do it yourself, but in my experience few people can do this well. Someone with no experience probably cannot.

the fact the wheel is not OE is irrelevant.

<--done 1000s of alignments
o ok im sorry about that dude i wasnt quite sure what u meant by toe adjustment, ill definately look into that and see if anybody does that in this area, because i wouldnt trust myself with that...

thank you for your advice its greatly appreciated
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
o ok im sorry about that dude i wasnt quite sure what u meant by toe adjustment, ill definately look into that and see if anybody does that in this area, because i wouldnt trust myself with that...

thank you for your advice its greatly appreciated
Anyone with an alignment machine can do it right. Most places probably won't want to be bothered eyeballing it. But I'd have the front end checked too.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #21
Teds89IROC

I agree with Bonzo, get the alignment. Also, I have the Grant Challenger wheel and it has further adjustment on the wheel itself than I originally knew. My alignment was off but not as much as the steering wheel showed. It was 90 degrees off when the actual wheels were straight. I didn't feel like messing with it so when I has the alignment done Friday I had them also adjust the wheel.
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech