Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey

Notices

Old 01-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
WayFast84

Mechanic In Middlesex

Ok as you might have heard I need to get some things fixed and Im looking for a mechanic In middlesex county that is real good and has a decent price! I want to get everything fixed and a neighbor said I should just do heads and a cam and it would run like new ( he has a degree in automechanics and used to race a 9 sec 81 camaro) I would like to use vortech heads and a nice lumpy/performancey cam (not the one I have now) I would like to switch from a Computer controlled carb to a 750 cfm holley I know Ill need a new intake, and I would also like to have headers and a new ditributer installed as well as what ever smog equipment I dont have due to it have blown up in my face Does any one know about It would cost in parts and laigbor?

Matt
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

big lumpy cam does not always mean performance. Vortecs cant accept too big of a cam without being machined anyway. I'd also say that a 750 carb is a little on the big side for your 305.

the best thing you can do is call up a cam company like comp cams and tell them your goals and all the specs on your car. Vortec heads are great budget heads, a lot of people consider them the best bang for the buck head on the market.

vortec heads, a cam matched to your combo, new dual plane intake, 650 cfm carb, headers and free flowing exhast. that should wake your motor up a bit. BUT before you do that, try to get the thing running well. when something is wrong with the motor and then you change a bunch of things, 9 times out of 10 it will make the problem worse.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
MilehighBird

Matt,

When I lived in Dunellen I used a place in the boro of Middlesex called Haiges Tire& Auto for basic stuff when I didn't have time to work on my other cars. They were decently priced(not the cheapest,not most exspensive) and did quality work. I was refered to them buy a friend who owned a body shop in the area and used them for their mechanical repairs.

I agree that vortechs are a great bang for the buck but in your case where emmisions are a concern they might not be as cheap as you think. If I remember correctly the vortech compatible intake is exspensive and you'd have to plumb exhaust from your headers. You already have a nice aftermarket intake so you might want to consider other head options so you can use that intake since you're on a budget.

Your stock carb can be made to flow 750cfm so that 's not holding you back either. I feel it would be a waste of $ at this point to buy a Holley and new distributor when you don't need to. Spend that $ to address your other issues. Go to thirdgen.org and read in the carb section some of the write ups from Damon and five7kid. They know these carbs inside and out and offer good advice.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
WayFast84

Well I have to see about emisions first my intake isnt egr compatible and neither are the headers wich I am seelling to get hooker headers real soon I was looking for a egr compatible vortech intake manifold and cant seem to find one
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
MilehighBird

Sorry about 2 posts, but I'd also suggest doing a compression/leakdown test on the engine and get a diagnostic done on the tranny so you know exactly what you have and what kind of $ you'd be looking at to fix these problems BEFORE doing any more performance mods.
MilehighBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
MilehighBird

I thought Edelbrock makes a vortech compatible intake. Check jeggs or summit on that. Or go to www.sdpc2000.com . There a GM performance parts dealer that made a vortech base for TPI, they might have a carb one as well. But if I remember correctly they were over $200. You should be able to pick up a used Edelbrock with egr for under $100 of ebay or classifieds if you stick with stock bolt pattern heads
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
WayFast84

tranny was rebuilt its fine other then the shifter cable comming off wich I think shouldnt happen again and if it does Im gonna try to so it the old way with bolts instead of the plastic end cap thingy
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
MilehighBird

Oh ok that's good then. Tranny is no problem. I'd still do compression check on engine first before any more mods just to see if you have a solid platform to start with.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
WayFast84

yeh Im gonna do that its just putting it in a spark plug whole right? how much does it cost to have done? btw I found a vortec manifold with egr http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
Old 01-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
MilehighBird

None of those have EGR. Vortec heads do not have cross over passages. The only way is to externally plumb exhaust gasses from your header back up into intake. Those intakes are just compatible with the bolt patern on the Vortec heads.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
WayFast84

I dont know well see when I go to inspection i think I will have them make everything 100 percent like it should be I dont want to have a big problem with emisions and all that
Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
redbanditZ28

I know of this place in Middlesex that is good. ITs right by the McDonalds on rt 28 across from the middlesex highschool. My old mechanic from bound brook joined up with the guy who owns it. If you go there, ask for Wayne. I had him install all my parts up til now and he didn't charge me much. He shares the interest of owning a camaro. His is nice, but he's selling it to get a vette. Anyways, I forget the name of it since he moved from Bound Broo,, but he should give you good pricing on installing things.
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey