Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
91zconvert

6 speed into 88 monte ss

i have a 93 Z28 6 speed that i want to put into my 88 monte SS.the motor is a 1971 400 out of a impala.does anyone know what mods need to be done????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monte2.jpg (63.3 KB, 13 views)
91zconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

There is a guy on ls1tech that did a t56 swap into that style monte. I think he has a how to or a build thread. Something along those lines
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Talk to TPI Monte SS...he swapped one into his SS...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
Talk to TPI Monte SS...he swapped one into his SS...
Yes, steve will come in I'm sure

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
The Fixer

Depends on what T56 you want to use. If you're going for an LT1 T56 you'd need the special flywheel from Centerforce because your SBC 400 is externally balanced - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-700173/

Then you'd need an LT1 T56 clutch/bellhousing/hydraulics, and fab up a clutch pedal (3rd-gen F-bodies make good donors for adapting to the G-body), or you can buy one from this guy - http://www.gsi-interiorss.com/item/t...-cu/lid=983837

After all that is done, you'll have to mod the crossmember (or buy one for a 700R4 in a G-body) and have the driveshaft shortened/balanced.

The ~cheaper~ alternative would be to go with an LS1 T56 and McLeod Industries sells an adapter plate which allows the T56 to be bolted to a standard Chevy bellhousing and is about 0.5 inches thick. They also sell an extended pilot bushing which makes up the 0.5 inches lost to the adapter plate. With this setup you can run a G-body bellhousing, mechanical clutch linkage, and 400 flywheel and clutch setup. You'll still have to buy that set of pedals, and the crossmember/driveshaft mods still apply.

Either way, rowing your own gears in a Monte is lots of fun, but can be a royal PITA.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
91zconvert

thanks steve,
looks like i got of thinking of which way to go.i have a 93 Z28 so that's why i was thinking of going the LT1 way.
91zconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
V
Stalker

its easy but not for everyone.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
Depends on what T56 you want to use. If you're going for an LT1 T56 you'd need the special flywheel from Centerforce because your SBC 400 is externally balanced - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-700173/

Then you'd need an LT1 T56 clutch/bellhousing/hydraulics, and fab up a clutch pedal (3rd-gen F-bodies make good donors for adapting to the G-body), or you can buy one from this guy - http://www.gsi-interiorss.com/item/t...-cu/lid=983837

After all that is done, you'll have to mod the crossmember (or buy one for a 700R4 in a G-body) and have the driveshaft shortened/balanced.

The ~cheaper~ alternative would be to go with an LS1 T56 and McLeod Industries sells an adapter plate which allows the T56 to be bolted to a standard Chevy bellhousing and is about 0.5 inches thick. They also sell an extended pilot bushing which makes up the 0.5 inches lost to the adapter plate. With this setup you can run a G-body bellhousing, mechanical clutch linkage, and 400 flywheel and clutch setup. You'll still have to buy that set of pedals, and the crossmember/driveshaft mods still apply.

Either way, rowing your own gears in a Monte is lots of fun, but can be a royal PITA.
I run that adapter plate and an extended pilot bushing in my 77Z

quicktime and mcleod also make bellhousings to mate the ls1 t56 to a sbc/bbc w/o the need of an adapter plate or extended pilot bushing. QT makes one that will even allow for mechanical clutch linkage.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I run that adapter plate and an extended pilot bushing in my 77Z

quicktime and mcleod also make bellhousings to mate the ls1 t56 to a sbc/bbc w/o the need of an adapter plate or extended pilot bushing. QT makes one that will even allow for mechanical clutch linkage.

I did not know this. That's fantastic!
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline