Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Mike
BadMod

dana 60 experts...

i have a quick question.

i have an older dana 60 with drum brakes, and want to convert it to disk... i already have the rear brakes from my 99.

could i use ls1 backing plates and set it up as if it was a newer strange s60? and then simply install my rotors and calipers? or am i s.o.l.?

the car is currently a 4 wheel manual drum car. i already found the swap plates to convert the front to ls1 disks, and am wanting to do all four, but if i cant the front swap with new lines and a prop valve should be a significant improvement.

end game will be a power brake conversion, but there is no room currently, so it will be a manual disk swap for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

doesn't matter if it is a dana 60 or a ford 9" or anything else. the ends are what matter. a dana 60 didn't come in that car stock so it's modified form whatever it came in originally. you need to determine how the rear is set up now. figure that out, then call kore3

and dbl check the bolt pattern is still 5x4.75 on those rear axles.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Mike
BadMod

alright then the first thing ill do is take one of my wheels with me and try it on the rear to double check... assuming it is still 5x4.75 how many options are there in ends?

full disclosure, i don't want to run this rear long term, but in the short term want the car to be as safe as possible, and have the parts, so if i can do it cheaply i will, if not, the fronts will be enough for the short term, and ill do the rears when i get a rear...

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i'm not exactly sure what you might find as far as housing ends. pull a drum and take a pic, let's see if we can ID the brakes on there now.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Mike
BadMod

alright ill get some pics next time we are over there unless my dad already has some

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Mike
BadMod

ill also get pics of the rear frame and suspension set up, what should i focus on for people in the know to be able to get a good idea of what i am working with in terms of returning to stock setup

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

If you look at the bottom of this Strange Axle ordering sheet you can see how many different end styles there are. If your rear was ordered with GM 10/12 bolt ends the LS1 brakes can bolt right on as the pattern hasn't changed. Give you something to work off for measurements too to figure out what you have already.

Provided the ends are all GM style stuff still, you could also have to worry about how far the axles stick out of the end of the tube. Just something else to think about..

Last edited by PolarBear; 02-01-2013 at 05:23 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
ill also get pics of the rear frame and suspension set up, what should i focus on for people in the know to be able to get a good idea of what i am working with in terms of returning to stock setup
I think the factory frame rails are a big one and if they are not there how much the metal was changed. I would think if the factory frame rails are still in place you should be able to convert it back with little difficulty.

Oh and the front spring perch area

Last edited by PolarBear; 02-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Depends on the housing ends for sure.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I think the factory frame rails are a big one and if they are not there how much the metal was changed. I would think if the factory frame rails are still in place you should be able to convert it back with little difficulty.

Oh and the front spring perch area
I'm going to say, with the size of the tires on the car, there is very little of the original frame rails under the car.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline