Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
DaSkinnyGuy

Car washing knowledge

Keeping it simple I am looking for car washing tips. Below I will write my process and see if there is anything I can improve on. I have been on car washing websites, watched youtube videos, however when you dig deeper into your audience some others have some slick ideas! That's what I am looking for. There's a few guys on here that do car detailing, I cant remember any of their user names but I remember years ago seeing photos of before and after inside a garage using a bright light to help see the paint surface.

My Process:
1. Two wash buckets, one for soap other for rinsing off dirt from Microfiber towel.
2. Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax.
3. Rinse car off
4. Begin washing from the top, then section by section rinse off.
5. Wash wheels last.
6. Dry car off using microfiber towel

With that said I need to know anything I can improve upon in my steps? Other products to use? Other microfiber towels to use? Is a snow bath truly worth the effort?
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I wish I had more time to type but here are my recommendations.

Each bucket should get a grit guard but if you only want to buy one, put it in the clean water bucket. You can run the mitt across the guard to remove some soiling.

I usually clean the wheels first with a myriad of brushes to get every part of the wheel. I like to rinse the wheels first before putting on the cleaning product. Some disagree with this approach since it can dilute the product but when I clean wheels, lubrication is key IMO. Dry + dirt = scratches. My raw aluminum CCWs still look great using this method.

I use a soap gun before I start cleaning the car with the mitt. It adds some extra lubrication to the surface to avoid scratching.

I'm decently quick working my way around the car but if its a hot day, I will rinse off each area after cleaning. Top to bottom is a nice approach but also consider ending with the front and back since those tend to get dirty the most.

When drying the car, I actually use a little bit of spray wax on each panel. It adds some extra slickness and I think it dries better. Waffle weave microfiber drying towels work the best IMO. I use two with one being used to get the big water off the car and the 2nd is the finisher.

Separate microfiber towels are used for the wheels. Same process and I use spray detailer on those as well. If I have the time, I will get the compressed air out and blow the water out of the crevices before the final dry. Nothing bothers me more than drip lines after a good wash.

I then open the doors, trunk and hood to wipe down those areas. It only takes a few extra minutes and really cuts down on the time I would need to spend if i let these areas get really dirty.

You choice in car wash is fine. The more suds the better IMO. What mitt are you using?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
DaSkinnyGuy

I now learned to invest in a grit guard. I do not use a mitt, I am washing with a microfiber towel, I use seperate towel from the body and wheels. When the body towel gets to dirty I grab another clean one. I do not have compressed air, I have to do my best to keep an eye on drip marks.
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Blackbirdws6

I personally like using this mitt but something other than a basic microfiber towel would be better for washing. http://www.autogeek.net/supernatural-wash-mitt.html

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
DaSkinnyGuy

I'm glad I posted this then! I am willing to take any criticism. With this dodo mitt if I have to wash multiple cars in a day will I have to have one mitt per each car? I will totally buy this mitt
Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Blackbirdws6

I just rinse it out thoroughly between each wash and mindful to look it over before it's next use. I've had it for 3 or so years now and it still works great.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
DaSkinnyGuy

Thank you! The mitt and 2 grit guards are ordered

Last edited by DaSkinnyGuy; 04-15-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
Featherburner

I am a huge fan of these for drying...http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...crazy-25-x-17/
I have a few waffle weave microfiber but these work better IMO. As Brian said, a quick spray with detail spray, while the car is still wet, does wonders for eliminating water spots and helps the drying towels glide over the surface. This stuff works pretty well at keeping microfiber towels in peak condition as well. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinna...Q#.VxGXJDArLIU
I'm also a fan of a foam gun for a prewash soak.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
I am a huge fan of these for drying...http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-...crazy-25-x-17/
I have a few waffle weave microfiber but these work better IMO. As Brian said, a quick spray with detail spray, while the car is still wet, does wonders for eliminating water spots and helps the drying towels glide over the surface. This stuff works pretty well at keeping microfiber towels in peak condition as well. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinna...Q#.VxGXJDArLIU
I'm also a fan of a foam gun for a prewash soak.
Guess I need to try out one of those towels!

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
6spdg37s

soap gun is a great investment makes washing so easy
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
NastyEllEssWon

+1 for mitt and soap gun. listen to BLS, dude's car always looks good in pics
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #12
MDSheds_SS
11 sec club

Social Networks:

Squeegee the Windows then I drive the car dry, then hit it with Adams spray and detail wax. If you filter the water and your car/truck has enough wax on it the water should just roll right off. The least amount of toweling the better especially on Black. I use about 5 or 6 smaller towels instead of 1 big one. However I do have a big one for the hood of my truck now. Also I do the wheels first in a diffrent bucket cause it's easier to get water spots off the wheels then the whole car. Washing the car in a shaded area makes life much easier too
86 Buick GN Lesabre 1 of 117 (4-Sale)
MDSheds_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #13
Paul Huryk

As someone who details cars and sells some of the best detailing products on the market, I will offer some tips:

1) wash your wheels and tires first using a separate bucket

2) add the grit guards to your 2 bucket wash cycle

3) get yourself a microfiber waffle weave drying towel or two for drying - works much better than a "normal microfiber" towel

4) if you wash your car on a hot, sunny day - keep on rinsing the entire car so water won't dry leaving water spots, then dry all at once

5) I would look into purchasing some additional high quality detailing supplies. My suggestions are: spray detailer for water spots and fingerprints, a high quality wax or sealer (the wash and wax is not even close), an interior cleaner (which will work on vinyl/leather/plastic/carpet), and some other items to make your life easier.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Paul Huryk; 04-16-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Paul Huryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
DaSkinnyGuy

As I think more about it your better off having three buckets a wash bucket just for the wheels, wash bucket for the body and rinse bucket with all three having a grit guard. If you choose to wash the wheels first you then risk dirt going onto the body and vise versa. Or wash wheels then dump out both buckets and put fresh soap in for the body. You guys are helping me that's what counts.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
Blackbirdws6

I use 3 buckets and rinse/refill the clean water bucket between doing the wheels and body.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I just use dish soap

LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #17
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I just use dish soap

Cherry privileges revoked.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge