Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #26
redbanditZ28

I wonder if they are still planning to build one on rt 22 near Lebanon.
If I had the money and the means, I'd open a Sonics on rt 18 or somewhere near Englishtown RaceWay Park, or up by Island Dragway (but they got Hot dog Johnnys), or somewhere in Woodbridge on rt 1.
redbanditZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbanditZ28 View Post
I wonder if they are still planning to build one on rt 22 near Lebanon.
If I had the money and the means, I'd open a Sonics on rt 18 or somewhere near Englishtown RaceWay Park, or up by Island Dragway (but they got Hot dog Johnnys), or somewhere in Woodbridge on rt 1.
I do not believe so. The people in the town hated the idea, and were rude to the people in Flemington about it. Shame, because that part of 22 is a waste of space.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
redbanditZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I do not believe so. The people in the town hated the idea, and were rude to the people in Flemington about it. Shame, because that part of 22 is a waste of space.
That is a shame. A Sonics would have be great in that area. One of my friends is from High Bridge, NJ near Glen Gardner. I think he is one of those people that are against any building any bit west of Bridgewater. Some people just really like it quiet and quaint in their surroundings I guess. But you're also right, that part of 22 is a waste of space. There is really nothing redeeming on that stretch of 22 except for a Quick Chek, a Dunkin Donuts, Cryans, and that golf course range. Otherwise, nothing.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
andy78TA

You can always go fishing haha, round valley is right there
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
WildBillyT

Quote:
That is a shame. A Sonics would have be great in that area. One of my friends is from High Bridge, NJ near Glen Gardner. I think he is one of those people that are against any building any bit west of Bridgewater. Some people just really like it quiet and quaint in their surroundings I guess. But you're also right, that part of 22 is a waste of space. There is really nothing redeeming on that stretch of 22 except for a Quick Chek, a Dunkin Donuts, Cryans, and that golf course range. Otherwise, nothing.
There's a smattering of small businesses (used to be a race fabrication shop called RaceWeld out there), but also some boarded up old buildings and just old crap.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #31
redbanditZ28

Quote:
There's a smattering of small businesses (used to be a race fabrication shop called RaceWeld out there), but also some boarded up old buildings and just old crap.
I apologize not mentioning Polar Cub as being worthwhile. That place has the best ice cream. I am surprised F-body owners don't meet there. I know parking is at a premium there, but it depends on what time of day and what day you go. Polar Cub is like the only reason I travel to that area of Rt 22. That and going hot air ballooning out there.

Is that RaceWled place the place on rt 22 traveling eastward that used to sell nitrous oxide refills?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
WildBillyT

Quote:
I apologize not mentioning Polar Cub as being worthwhile. That place has the best ice cream. I am surprised F-body owners don't meet there. I know parking is at a premium there, but it depends on what time of day and what day you go. Polar Cub is like the only reason I travel to that area of Rt 22. That and going hot air ballooning out there.

Is that RaceWled place the place on rt 22 traveling eastward that used to sell nitrous oxide refills?
Polar Cub is awesome. Used to go there a lot as a kid.

You are thinking of Driver's FX (used to be Kar Parts). It's still there, and is a great auto store. The best in the area IMO.

No, this place is westbound, used to build frames, chassis, etc until one of the owners died.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
redbanditZ28

Quote:
Polar Cub is awesome. Used to go there a lot as a kid.

You are thinking of Driver's FX (used to be Kar Parts). It's still there, and is a great auto store. The best in the area IMO.

No, this place is westbound, used to build frames, chassis, etc until one of the owners died.
Yeah, I hope that place never closes. They can build a Baskin Robbins, Coldstone Creamery, or what ever right next door and that wouldn't have any effect on Polar Cub. The place is a gold mine in the summer. I see some cars from Somerville stop there after the show on Friday nights. It just gets a little annoying when there are groups of kids there because of sports, karate, scouts, etc.. But then again, places like that are meant for kids and it's nice to know kids still do that stuff. lol.

Yeah, Driver's FX is what I was thinking about. I've can't think of the other place you mentioned, but I bet if I drove by it, I'd recognize it instantly.

Anyone been by rt 22 in Green Brook like in the last few days? I haven't had a chance to drive by there lately and I wasn't sure if they finally opened their doors yet.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #34
TAdan

I'll be driving past it today. I drove past Saturday night and the lot was still snow covered. They are still waiting to pave the lot and landscape.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #35
redbanditZ28

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it'll open next week with the temperatures getting warmer and melting the snow this week.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #36
Whiplash Performance

The driveway is still snow covered and unpaved. There was a guy power washing the table area this morning.
www.intensewhiplash.com
Whiplash Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #37
redbanditZ28

Yeah, I guess next week would be too soon. Probably better not to rush a good thing like this. I guess at this point I should just hope we get warm and rainy weather to melt away the snow so they can pave.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #38
andy78TA

damnit, I was hoping it would be open by spring break...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #39
redbanditZ28

No such luck. But if the rest of this week, minus tomorrow, and next week are as nice as they say it's gonna be, then all of that snow in the parking lot should be well melted by the end of next week.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #40
mtnhopper1

The new Sonic is practically at the end of my street. If y'all start meeting there once in a while, I might actually get to meet a few of you in person.

25 Burgers is great, but what a crappy lot/intersection!
Heartbeat City
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I'm a dick, you're a dick, we're all a bunch of dicks!!!
mtnhopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #41
Whiplash Performance

Looks like they are starting to get ready to pave it!
www.intensewhiplash.com
Whiplash Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #42
andy78TA

AND I JUST GOT HOME FOR SPRING BREAK!!! woo. ha
Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #43
redbanditZ28

That's cool. I wish I had Sonics on my Spring Break when I was in college. lol. We supposedly got nice weather on the way too, so the remaining snow should melt real quick over the weekend.

I am so happy they are finally coming into NJ now. Like Cracker Barrel and other franchises, it took a while.

Does anyone miss Roy Rogers at all? I know I do. Now they have these poor excuses for a location on major interstate rest stops. At least there is Chic-Fil-A.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #44
WildBillyT

Quote:
That's cool. I wish I had Sonics on my Spring Break when I was in college. lol. We supposedly got nice weather on the way too, so the remaining snow should melt real quick over the weekend.

I am so happy they are finally coming into NJ now. Like Cracker Barrel and other franchises, it took a while.

Does anyone miss Roy Rogers at all? I know I do. Now they have these poor excuses for a location on major interstate rest stops. At least there is Chic-Fil-A.
I always say you can tell who is an old school Flemingtonite if they can point out where the Roy Rogers used to be.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
redbanditZ28

Yeah, I guess that's kind of old school. I'm a nostalgic person like that. lol. The Roy Rogers I used to go to used to be right on rt 22 in Bridgewater, but on the Somerville side of the highway. A Boston Market eventually went in its place and now I don't think anything is there anymore.

What Roy Rogers location did you used go to?

I think there used to be a Roy Rogers on rt 1 near South Brunswick as well. I never knew until recently that they used to be owned by the Marriott Hotel Corporation. I miss their peach and strawberry shakes. Best I ever had. Chic-fil-a comes a close second though.

I remember when Ponderosa Steak houses used to be everywhere too. They had good sirloin steaks. I am glad places like Polar Cub and Hot Dog Johnnys are still around.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #46
WildBillyT

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's kind of old school. I'm a nostalgic person like that. lol. The Roy Rogers I used to go to used to be right on rt 22 in Bridgewater, but on the Somerville side of the highway. A Boston Market eventually went in its place and now I don't think anything is there anymore.

What Roy Rogers location did you used go to?

I think there used to be a Roy Rogers on rt 1 near South Brunswick as well. I never knew until recently that they used to be owned by the Marriott Hotel Corporation. I miss their peach and strawberry shakes. Best I ever had. Chic-fil-a comes a close second though.

I remember when Ponderosa Steak houses used to be everywhere too. They had good sirloin steaks. I am glad places like Polar Cub and Hot Dog Johnnys are still around.
The Boston Market in Flemington was the Roy's. We had a Ponderosa where the Wawa is on 31. It was a Ponderosa, then a liqour store, then the building was flattened and built up into a Wawa.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #47
redbanditZ28

Quote:
The Boston Market in Flemington was the Roy's. We had a Ponderosa where the Wawa is on 31. It was a Ponderosa, then a liqour store, then the building was flattened and built up into a Wawa.
Heh, I never knew that. I've been going out to the Flemington circle area my whole life and I don'tremember seeing the Roy Rogers there. I definitely know of the Boston Market you are talking about though.

Yeah, I hate how good places like these go away. I don't even understand what happened to cause Roy Rogers to downsize and close so many locations like they did. Same thing with Woolworths and Ponderosa.

I think that's why I am so happy to see a Sonics coming to our area. I am so tired of seeing more and more McDonalds and Burger Kings going up everywhere. Like we need more them. lol. McDonalds now stands where Roy Rogers was on rt 22 across from the Commons Mall.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #48
WildBillyT

Quote:
Heh, I never knew that. I've been going out to the Flemington circle area my whole life and I don'tremember seeing the Roy Rogers there. I definitely know of the Boston Market you are talking about though.

Yeah, I hate how good places like these go away. I don't even understand what happened to cause Roy Rogers to downsize and close so many locations like they did. Same thing with Woolworths and Ponderosa.

I think that's why I am so happy to see a Sonics coming to our area. I am so tired of seeing more and more McDonalds and Burger Kings going up everywhere. Like we need more them. lol. McDonalds now stands where Roy Rogers was on rt 22 across from the Commons Mall.
Word is another Sonic is going in near the Stop and Shop on 31.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #49
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Ah, the double-r-bar burger....

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #50
Ls1dreamin02

Just found this thread...i live like 15mins from the new Sonic too. Hopefully it will be ready soon. Finally an NJFBOA meeting spot that is not hours from my house haha.
Ls1dreamin02 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey