Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
WiMiMc

payments getting smaller?

i'm not sure why but my payments keep shrinking, first it was 292 a month, then 284. i just received this months and it is now 277, (i'm not complaining).

is this normal for loans? i've been paying more than necessary each month.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

what are you talking about? A loan or a credit card?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
madness410

im assuming since you pay more than you should per month its automatically calculating the remainder of your loan into steady payments. it will keep getting lower if you continue to do so.
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

fixed loans don't normally change required payment amounts even if you pay extra principal (mortgages, personal loans, car loans, etc). So I'm guessing this is a credit card or perhaps credit line, in which case required minimum payment should drop with reduced balance.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
WiMiMc

sorry its a personal loan, its what i used to get the car, the bank said that they dont give out 'car loans' anymore.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

sounds technically more like a line of credit if the req pmt is dropping. if you are concerned I suggest calling the lending company.

you can still get car loans. but used car loans are often made only for cars bought from a dealer and not private parties.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
WiMiMc

i'm not really concerned at all, and i got it through Wachovia (Wells Fargo now)

i was just curious
Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I had that happen with a loan as well. I paid extra and the next month it showed less than the regular payment. I think it's the difference of the regular payment minus the extra you paid so what they show is what you owe to keep on schedule. They might also be recalculating and amortizing out to keep the remaining term the same but you won't pay as much interest because you're paying down the loan quicker.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
WiMiMc

hm that makes sense, hopefully i can pay it off around this time next year, a year and a half ahead of schedule and save me some coin on the interest.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
LS1Hawk

A lot of times if you pay extra without indicating the extra amount as "additional principal," the bank will put your account in "paid ahead status." What that means is the additional amount you paid is used as a credit for your next month's bill. So you are not paying the loan off sooner, you are just making your next month's payment lower.

To keep the monthly payment exactly the same while paying off the loan sooner, you have to separately indicate the additional principal you are adding to the payment. So if your monthly payment is $300 and you write a check for $500, you have indicate on the payment ticket that $200 is for additional principal. You should call the lender though to make sure there are no pre-payment penalties.

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 02-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
WiMiMc

hmm thats good to know, as for additional payment, can i verbally tell them that i want it applied to the prinicipal? because i'm looking at my bill now and there is a spot for 'Additional Amount' however nowhere does it have room to write where it will be applied
Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiMiMc View Post
hmm thats good to know, as for additional payment, can i verbally tell them that i want it applied to the prinicipal? because i'm looking at my bill now and there is a spot for 'Additional Amount' however nowhere does it have room to write where it will be applied
If you write what you are adding to the payment in that spot, it should then automatically be applied to your principal. Normally that's how it works. I have an auto loan with Bank of America and there is a separate box on the payment stub for "Additional Principal," which in your case I'm sure is the same as "Additional Amount." But I would strongly suggest calling them to double check.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
WiMiMc

ok thanks its due by next thursday so i'll def ask when i go in

Last edited by WiMiMc; 02-05-2011 at 07:23 AM.
WiMiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

The loan I had through Wachovia for my wife's Jeep was like that. The original amount was for $292.xx / month for 30 months, and we started by just paying an even $300 each month. We confirmed that any additional amount paid (unless you exactly doubled the amount) would be applied to the principle. Each month payment was recalculated to show a slightly lower monthly payment amount owed.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > West Central Jersey