Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
insaneinferno

Turn signal issue on 97 Camaro Z28

I went through all the other turn signal related posts on this forum, but none seemed quite like my issue.

Basically, the rear driver side turn signal never lights on the outside, the front passenger side one does sometimes, and the other two seem to always work.

The indicator almost always flashes properly on the inside, (even though I've know it's supposed to be a "steady burn" when a bulb is burned out). Very occasionally, the left indicator won't flash on the inside, and will just light very dimly. This happens very intermittently though.

It's the same bulb(s) out on the outside whether I use the flashers or the hazards (since I know they're two separate units).

I replaced the rear driver side bulb, but unfortunately the problem still remained. I also checked the turn signal fuse, and it is okay. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks!

Last edited by insaneinferno; 03-30-2014 at 06:26 PM.
insaneinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
greenformula92

sounds like a bad ground or the turn signal switch itself is going out. I would check the front bulb to and make sure its the correct bulb. sometimes these cars can be finicky with that stuff. ive seen them do some really wierd things if something isn't quite right

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
insaneinferno

That is possible, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the front bulb too.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The indicators should rapidly cycle when a bulb is out, not steady burn. You could be having a ground issue or issues with the sockets. How are the brake lights functioning? Did you try replacing the front turn signal?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
greenformula92

I suggested the front bulb because I once has a 91 s10 blazer that the previous owner put the wrong bulb in the tailight...every time you used the left blinker the backlighting in the dash would blink lol. I would definitely confirm all your bulbs are proper and take a good look at the sockets when your in there and test things before you put it all back together to make sure they work right

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
V
Stalker

another thing to check, early to mid 90s firebirds /trans ams had rear taillight harness issues. such as slow or no blink. the sockets ground etc all go bad and can be fixed with a new taillight harness or a full rewire from the connector to all new sockets.

Last edited by V; 03-31-2014 at 12:26 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
The indicators should rapidly cycle when a bulb is out, not steady burn. You could be having a ground issue or issues with the sockets. How are the brake lights functioning? Did you try replacing the front turn signal?
3rd gens don't cycle if a bulb is out, so it must be a year thing
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
3rd gens don't cycle if a bulb is out, so it must be a year thing
Yeah, every year after that In every car ever made
Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
insaneinferno

Thanks for the advice everyone. The brake lights work okay, I had a friend check them while I pushed the pedal. I haven't done anything with the front turn signal yet, but I think checking all the bulbs will definitely be my next step. In theory, would a bad socket produce the same results as a bad bulb? Also, what's the proper way to pinpoint a bad ground in a case like this? (I do have a multimeter)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
insaneinferno

Update: it was a bad ground (specifically, rust in the socket). It wasn't where the bulb was connecting to the socket (although that was rusty), it was where the black ground wire connected to the metal piece in the socket. Cleaned up the rust and put some electrical contact grease on, and now it works well. This was on the rear left signal (the most problematic), and I'm guessing the intermittent issue on the other is for a similar reason.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

beat me to it. I was going to say check for corrosion in the actual socket.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
V
Stalker

hence why I said the sockets go bad, lol
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
bigz28man

Not to thread jack here but seeing as though the turn signal bulbs are being brought up I figured I would add this. Just recently noticed if I'm stopped at a light foot on brake pedal interior indicator flashes real slowly, take my foot of the brake pedal, indicator flashes at normal speed. Weirdest thing, it's the things that make you go hmmmmm.
97' Z28, M6 w/ golen engines 396 Lt1, rpm transmission level 6 t56, moser 12 bolt eaton posi w/ 4.11 gears, Hooker super comp long tube headers ory-pipe, slp loudmouth 1 .Full BMR suspension, Bilstein shocks. Torqhead 24x conversion.
02' SS, M6 BMR lowering springs, adj. pan-hard bar, Bilstein shocks. Lt1 front end conversion. Ford 9"
bigz28man is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring