Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
TaKid455

New brain for old dinosuar. Pontiac V8 meets LS1 ECU

While the concept isn't new, I have offically made success at this on going project.
Background: Holley , while helpful, pissed me off some time ago.
Solution: EFI system that does everything, not just fuel. (At the time, not many systens did this and those that did, were in their infancy)

Story/ Info
EFI connection has it for Chevys so why not a Pontiac or any other engine. Upon propsal, EFI Connection had no interest in the project but were helpful until the proprietery stuff.

After design, concpet, prototypes and initial run of parts, followed by the physical build, wiring ,ect...it all come together. All parts , sans for the the ones I designed/ made, are all off the shelf parts intentionally. System runs the LS funky 24x reluctor due to personal request to keep it cable driven vs DBW. Also uses 8 coil packs in place where distributor would normally reside to keep engine bay area clean.

Have some pics which will post later. Here's a inital...well 2nd start video. Inital base tune. Indepth tuning to follow. Will be using HPTuners Software

https://youtu.be/9W9lOVXfcD0
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
The_Bishop
Power Member

That looks clean. How much of a pain was it to get the reluctor working?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Featherburner

Great job! It's always nice to see people putting effort into the old Iron. I will be picking your brain when I finally get around to my '68 Firebird project.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
TaKid455

The 24x reluctor is a funky arrangement with an inverse pattern along side. I identified the radial angles of a long and a short and drafted a pair up in Solidworks mimicing the OE version. They were laser cut and attatched to the rear of the balaner. I designed an adjustable crank sensor holder which utilized the LS1 sensor. The sensor is actually 2 sensors in 1 and is directional as we found out.

The cam sensor is in place of the distributor. I designed a housing/ setup the runs off teh cam and drives the oil pump as factory and also has the cam sensor and reluctor built in. The 24x systen is easy here being a simple 2x signal.

Keep me updated on your 68. This will make it a little more fun. Installation is easier with the engine out. I installed it on my car with the engine installed, however it was setup for EFI from the last system. Th OG Holley Project 4i.

Last edited by TaKid455; 05-19-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Nice work on pulling together the setup on your own. Will you be looking to make/sell the parts?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
TaKid455

That would be goal ultimately. While I do know the production cost, I haven't set a price point yet. I have roughly 10 -12 sets of parts I made. I've kept it semi quiet as I didn't want to push something without testing it. I figured I could offer this 2 ways:
1) Sell propriety parts and a list of over the counter componenets and the end user assembles it themselves or uses them in conjuction with their system be it Holley, Haltech, Motec, Megasquirt, ect

or

2) I install the system on your vehicle, wiring and all.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Very cool. I guess the only drawback would be tech support post purchase. If you install it, you know it will work.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
TaKid455

The post purchase tech support shouldn't be too bad regaridng the specific componets I make. On the system operation in general, that may be something different. However, being it operates the same as most standalone LS1/6 systems, that information is out and is easily found for the most part. Once the sensors are set, its pretty much all in the ECU at that point. I tried to make it trouble free as possible and tie into something that any tuning/service shop could diagnos and understand. At least thats the intent.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
TaKid455

Update:

Took the setup down and made it all pretty. Finished up the loose ends, ect , ect.
Being the initail ECU was done with EFILive, I decided to start from scratch and flash another ECU using HP Tuners software. Its been a nice learning curve. Had some bugs, mainly with dealing with the vehicle the ecu originated regarding flex fuel and some auto trans bits running in the background/ deeper tables. Was able to take the car out and drive it down the driveway a few times. Its a decent sized driveway. Happy so far with the progress. Even with it just in the early tuning stages, I like it better than the Projection system it replaced. Next step is to finish wiring the analog outputs of the FP & WB gauges for the Pro Link. This will allow easier and better tuning of the VE, PE and spark tables. Perhaps mid week I'll have it ready for some data logging. Also getting a square to sine wave converter so the ECU can read the VSS. (Viper 3 wire vs GM 2 wire VSS signals)

Last edited by TaKid455; 07-08-2019 at 10:28 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects