Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Thumbs up Great day at the autox on Sunday....

Went down to the SJR SCCA for the first time. They run at Camden County College in or near Gloucester and it was a really fun day. Car count was relatively low, maybe 60 cars or so and that allowed us 7 runs. The lot is about 300' by 600' so pretty good space and the course times were in the mid 40's. The asphalt was gravely at first, but started to clean up after the first session. Air temps were 85-90 so not overwhelmingly hot.

I ran in C prepared, because I don't have my passenger seat mounted yet (shame on me). Normally I would be in Street Modified. I really have no business running in either of these classes, because the car just too damn heavy, but my mods put me there. It was the first time out in about three months and the first time out with Strano's rear bar installed to complete his spring/swaybar package (Sam's suspension package is second to none for the money spent). It was also the first time out with the big 315/35/17 Kuhmo V710's in temps where they actually worked. And did they work? Heck yeah.....

The car was unbelievable, it was rotating and turning in with no signs of push, some wheel spin occassionally (possible because of the gravel), but overall the car was working pretty good. I forgot to bring my shock adjustment tool, so I was limited to air pressure adjustments to aid in getting the power down. I started the day at 35 rear and 33 front and by the end of the day was down to 32 rear and 30 front, and could probably have gone another 1-2lbs down. The small air pressure changes made noticeable differences in getting power down and the rear to rotate while maintaining forward bite. Tires look even across the tread at days end, not all balled up on the edges from pushing. I came away with a much better understanding of suspension dynamics and the difference temp can have on an R compound tire. WOW!

The course had lots of directional change and looped back on itself partly and I found that car control, at least for me, was best by staying in first gear the whole time. I couldn't find a good spot to pull second and stay in second for any length of time before a significant braking zone. My shift light would only come on as I was crossing the finish line at 6000rpm. All it took to get the car to rotate was a quick stab at the brake to get the @ss light, turn in, get pointed in the right direction and get back to power...she hooked and away we went. Despite all of this good stuff, I still manage to eat my share of cones a couple times, oh well that's what rubbing compound is for.

I will definitely be back at SJR SCCA for more fun. I think they have a few events down at the new track in Millvile, so I gotta see if I can get in on that action.

Results are here: http://www.sjr-scca.org/solo/080727results.html if you care to look. I had a top ten raw time for the day, that's way better than I would have hoped for. I was the only F-body though 4 Mustangs (1 fox body and 3 of the mid 90's version with the 4.6) So not a lot of big HP rear wheel drive cars to stack up against and compare notes. There were a ouple porsche's, 1 Lotus, handful of Miata's, honda's, STI/WRX. The FTD was a Suby STIWRX thing with a good amount of suspension work, but relatively stock powerplant (according to the owner anyway) and that car was unbelievable. It was point and shoot and gone, just seemed to squirt from section to section. He was running while I was working, so I got to see him up close. Fast, but not in an out of control on the edge kind of way, just kind point to point without much drama.

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
198esp1

SJR runs a good event pretty techy courses i know a couple of national guys that use sjr events to tune for pro solos. sounds like you had a good day. r- compound in warm weather is heaven for a f-body
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X