Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #376
IROCZman15
11 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

The AUTOCROSS at Met-Life stadium got canceled today. Not because of rain, not because of low turnout, but for a really unfortunate reason....parking.
So, yesterday there was supposed to be a Monster Truck Monster Jam event, which got rained out. So, the stadium rescheduled it for today, the same day as our MSNE autocross event. Both COULD have gone on simultaneously, but the word is that the stadium realized that they could gain more money in vehicle parking fees from monster jam spectators, compared to the money they would gain from MSNE autocross. So, at freaking 9 pm last night, less than 12 hours prior to the start of the autocross race, they canceled it on us. What a bummer it was. I planned my whole weekend around this and needed the practice so I could get used to the new tires, new roll bar, 5 point harnesses, and to built an EFI tune off of what I would have gained today. Now I will be showing up to the big UMI autocross with no real autocross seat time. Not cool. not fun.

I took the car over to an industrial/business park area and did my best to run the car through some pretend slaloms, tight turns, and lock-to-lock turns. Car did well, tires got sticky and picked up a ton of rocks/gravel. Kept it at safe speeds, but doing this was not nearly the equivalent of what I could have practiced at a real autocross. I am mad at Met-Life stadium for being greedy and pulling the last minute cancellation on the MSNE group. I'm guessing if it was the SCCA autocross group scheduled for today, they would not have gotten bumped out in favor of parking.

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #377
wretched73

Well that blows.
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:51 PM   #378
IROCZman15

heading out to Clearfield, PA tomorrow mid-day for the UMI Performance Autocross. Still have to pack the car up tomorrow morning and then it is about a 4 hour drive to get out there. Scott, Billy, and Joe are going as usual, and a few thirdgen.org people I know will also be there. Won't be back until Sunday probably.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #379
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Have fun and safe travels. It's a good ride and a great time.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

18 CTS-V
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #380
IROCZman15

Just when I thought everything was in place for a great weekend, a complete curveball comes my way! During my drive out to the event I had a misfire, and checking the holley sniper handheld I realized that there was a fuel issue because it was compensating by adding a TON of fuel. Determined that one of the 4 injectors in the holley sniper throttle body is not flowing any fuel; verified this by looking down the barrels. 3 of the injectors spray fuel, the front passenger side does not. As i was troubleshooting this on rt 80 in Nj I was texting with Larry and changing tunes and going into open loop mode. The sniper CL comp and learn functions did their job quite well and I did an easy cruise alllllllll the way to the track, which took 5 hours instead of the usual 4 hour. Chatted with Tom, Ramey and a bunch of people here while trying to source a replacement. Apparently Holley uses a non-available style/specification of injectors, and when people's injectors fail, they require the sniper to be shipped back to holley for repair. Kinda not what I had hoped to hear, 230 miles from home, and less than a few hours before my favorite autocross event of the year. O'Rileys auto parts has an LS# injector that may fit, but it only flows about half the fuel 942 pounds) compared to the 100 pound holley injector. I ordered it anyways, it is Standard Motor parts PN FJ988 and it wont be in their store here by the track until 4pm tomorrow, which is when day 12 of autocross ends.*

* Not sure what I am going to do, would hate to sit the event out before I even make one lap. I could run it on 3 injectors and just add a ton of fuel to the other 3 injectors to compensate..because it is a TBI setup.* *Man, of all the weekends for something to fail, it had to be this weekend. jeez

Old 07-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #381
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Sucks but I would not run it when you know it's down or rigged.

You will end up with a pair of cylinders with poor afr unless you try and adjust via fuel cylinder trims to "fix" the smaller injector.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #382
IROCZman15

I will type up a better version if this next week after this ordeal is all said and done, but just as a brief update here is where I am at now.

After learning from this forum that I can't just go out and buy a holley specific 100# injector, I spent tons of time searching for a compatible one. O'Riley autoParts is near the track and was able to order me a "comparable" one, but for 4pm on Friday. The race is all day Friday and Saturday, but I had them order it anyways. IT is standard Motor Parts STD FJ988 which cost $83.

In the meantime, I knew I was going to miss the day of racing, so I tried calling local shops at 8am when they opened up Friday. A local diesel fuel injector repair shop was my best bet, but they told me they doubted they could check mine. They turned me on to a guy names Al, who is a retired engine builder and local winning racer of years gone by. I called Al, who was busy at the moment but he told me to meet him at a local Napa. I then borrowed Scott’s truck and met Al, and followed him through the hills of rural PA out to his house. He certainly was a local engine builder, with trophys, old racing hats and Polaroids, engine parts galore, a 2000 trans am Ws6 with a 427 and two stages of nitrous as his current toy car.

He had a fuel injector tester at his home garage, and we were hopeful that he could remedy the situation. He put the injector into an ultrasonic bath cleaning for 10 minutes, back-flow cleaned it, ohm tested it, pulled out he internal screen, ran a speed test and so forth. The injector would click, but not flow a drop of fluid. his determination was that the internal mechanism of the injector came apart, so there was no saving it. He tried, but it was hopeless. Went back to the track and spectated.

Luckily ORileys had their truck come in at noon instead of 4 pm. So I borrowed Scotts truck again and got the injector. Height wise it was the same but I noticed the bottom seat was tapered where the Holley injector is flat. Went back to the track, installed it after conferring with some of my buddies. Worked and sprayed!! Wow! Very cautiously I looked for leaks and none were found. I went out and made a lap, even though my plugs were fouled and tune was not the best. Made a decent lap but the whole
Time I was ready to get out of the throttle
If it started to backfire, but it did not. Made a couple more autocross laps and everything seems good to go now for the full day of racing. I changed the spark plugs last night and re-loaded a clean tune as well.

What a roller coaster this situation has been, but I am hopeful I can race all day today and then drive the car the 230 miles home tomorrow morning.

So let’s see how today goes…!

Old 07-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #383
wretched73

Glad you're getting it sorted. Looking forward to more updates
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM   #384
IROCZman15

Whew, what a weekend! I will certainly type up an event recap in the coming days, perhaps even next week. Gotta upload photos, videos, etc.

I did ensure that the "replacement" injector stayed snug in the TBI and did not leak. I reloaded a clean tune file and made some fuel tune adjustments to accommodate for the lesser flowing injector. I was indeed able to race all the laps on Day 2 of the event and The engine/EFI performed well despite being down on capable power. Did not explode the engine, did not run it lean, did not foul the new spark plugs, and it didn't even misfire. Thank God for CL-Comp% and datalogging!

Drove the car home on Sunday morning and had zero issues with the drive aside from my dashcam is starting to get sensitive to vibration/harmonics it seems. Will discuss that later or in the other dashcam thread maybe

Anyways, today I called Holley. I am on the Holley EFI forums and have done heavy research on this dead injector topic over the last few days. I knew Holley was going to say "we will not ship you a replacement injector, we can only fix it if you ship the whole unit to us in kentucky". After 45 minutes on hold I spoke to a staffer who fully agreed that my situation was crappy. I got the answer form him I expected. I fought him tooth and nail for half an hour about simply just sending me (or selling me) a proper 100# injector. They refuse to do it. It is a liability if someone installs the injector wrong and burns down their car.... I just do not understand this.. Holley sells FUEL pumps, fittings, lines, gauges, regulators etc. All of that can certainly be installed wrong too though. Someone can overtighten a fitting and crack it, causing a jet stream of fuel to spray out just the same as anyone can damage an O-ring. People on the Holley forums have been angry and in disbelief about this exact topic for years and years now, but nothing can be done. They won't send you a replacement injector. (sidenote, back in the fall of last year they did send me a replacement internal fuel pressure regulator inside the sniper ... and I installed it, which was more "involved" than an injector,....but wth, its their "policy). I asked them where I could buy the exact injector from another supplier (so they were no longer burdened with liability) and they would not give up the source of their injector supply.

Not having much options, I started an RMA number/claim just in case I decide to send this whole sniper in to them for repair. IT will take them 2-3 weeks to get it repaired. Sadly, I can do the injector repair in 3-5 minutes.. tops... start to finish. If I do send the unit in, that will stink, but it will allow me to continue to use the car and race it for the rest of the year. I still plan on spraying a small nitrous shot at it in the fall too. If I were to wait until winter to send the sniper in, I would just be limited to car shows and cruise nights, as I am not going to race the car with 3 normal injectors, and one inadequate injector that only flows 42 pounds instead of 100.. despite mathematical "duty-cycles" and all that can be adjusted in the tune.. I'm just not going to be dumb and race it that way.

I will get to the event recap, just gotta decide what is best to do on this topic first.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning