Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
coldkilla

Oh fckin' stellar!!!

well for the last month or so my dirty bird has been victim of one electrical problem after another. first both my cooling fans wouldnt come on even after i tested every single component in the system and they were all working. so i had to jump them out with a temporary switch. then my ignition fuse kept kept blowing when i turned the key on. i troubleshot everything in that circuit and it was all looking good. funny thing was, its a 15amp fuse so i put a 20 amp in there just for ****s and giggles and it never blew so i drove around with that for awhile. then just the other day i thought i got bad gas cuz the car started running like butt right after i filled up. after some troubleshooting it turns out that none of my driverside injectors are firing even tho all fuses are good and they are getting 12 volts. so i pulled my computer out to take a look. hehehehehe... i opened up the panel where my e-prom is and was greeted by the wonderful smell of electrical crispies. so i opened up the pcm and man o man. there was a ton of moisture, rust, corrosion and even some ****ing mold, all over the inside and one piece on the board was burnt and broke off at the slightest touch. well i guess this isnt all bad cuz now it seems that all my problems are linked back to one easy to replace part. i was even thinking for awhile (cue music) OPTISPARK!!!! but alas i need a new pcm.

so my questions to those that might know are:
1. where can i get a pcm for a 93 formula firebird for the best price?

2. is there anyway that my pcmforless eprom chip couldve been damage? it looks alright and has no burn marks or damage that i can tell.

thanks guys

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

1. i found autozone and napa usually have good prices on computers.
2. as long as the chip itself didn't have any of the corrosion or crud on it you shoudl be fine. jsut make sure you let it sit someplace clean adn dry for a while to make sure any moisture that got on it is absolutely gone before you reinstall.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

That sucks man, but at least you know what the problem is.

And I'm with Tim. If the chip looks fine, just make sure it's dry. Hit it with a hair dryer on the cool setting for a few minutes if you have one.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I would have to think the Chip is fine as the car was running.

Check the classified section. GIO is selling parts of a 93 and might have the ECM on the market.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
chrisfrom nj

talk to megan if she will sell you parts from her 93 ta
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning