Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 04-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
V
Stalker

How to stamp/bead aluminum wihtout a bead roller?

I have sections of 1/16" x 1" flat aluminum bar that I need a bead or at least some indentation down the center for minor added strength. The sections are each about 8" long. I would like the indentation to be about 7" long and maybe 1/4" wide.

I know a bead roller would be the simplest solution but the thickness, cost and possibility of the whole piece curving up from the process is making me try to think of another way.

It would be 6063-t5 alloy and 1/16" is about 14ga aluminum.

I was thinking about using a 1/8" steel plate, about 9"x3", with a 1/4" diameter 7" long rod welded to the middle of it, then placing another 9"x3" 1/8" steel plate on top, with an groove opening down the center. Then using some type of press setup to squeeze the 2 steel plates together, sandwiching the aluminum in the middle and forming the bead. Think that would work? or would I need just too much force? I don't need a perfect impression, just a decent indent to add some rigidity.

Thoughts?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

You might be able to make a small setup like you describe and use vice jaws to be your press
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech