Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 02-05-2023, 08:03 PM   #526
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Got a little bit of progress done, but in the coming weeks I hope to get more accomplished. During January I decided to finally get some proper lighting in the garage, and I am glad I tackled that because the garage is now a much better place to work with proper lighting. (Added 10 4foot LED lights)

- Holley RetroBright Headlights (done)
- Check Balancer and pulleys
- Cut 1/4 coil off of rear coil springs (next)
- Buy spare 10 pound nitrous tank (done)
- Vaccum pump (electric) (not going to do)
- new side window weatherstripping (spring 2023)
- Buy spare U-joints and spare rubber trans mount (done)
- Poly grease everything

also now on the list:
- possibly buy new rear drag shocks
- look into a proper rear sway bar for drag racing
- new oval air filter (done)

Decided to buy a second 10 pound tank for nitrous to keep here as a spare because between september and january it was impossible to find anyone who had a supply of nitrous in stock. Finally, just a week ago, Bruce's speed shop got their supply in, so I immediately bought another bottle and then brought both bottles to his shop. Due to the whole supply difficulties, he increased his price from $7/pound to $10/pound. Oh well, At least I'm supplied for a little while. The new bottle came with a built in PSI gauge, which definitely would have been helpful to have during the September/October days at the dragstrip when I had uncertainty about the actual nitrous system pressure. Glad to have it now though, as I will see how all 3 nitrous pressure gauges read in relation to eachother.

Bought some parts to keep here for spares, like a rubber transmission mount, a 1350 U-joint, U-joint straps, and installed a new Air-filter too.

Next, I am going to tackle the rear-end ride-height issue that bothered me ever since I installed the Air-Ride air-lift bags last year. Even with the bags at the lowest (5psi) the rear end fender eight sits up about 1/2 higher than without them in. This was something I immediately noticed when I put them in, and back then when I was troubleshooting it, I think it still has something to do with the red 'puck" that goes between the bag and the spring perch. So,t he only thing I can do, is take out my coil springs and take another little part of the coil off to drop the ride height. I don't run the rubber isolators anymore, I have been doing the heater hose method on my current springs which I cut back in 2008 and then again back in 2015 to get the ride height dialed in back then. Currently the drivers side rear fender sits at 28 3/8" and the passenger rear sits at 28 1/2". I'm looking to take these numbers down about 5/8" via the coil-cut process. Also will trim the bump-stops accordingly.

No big deal,
but,
I figured while I am in there, maybe I should get a more drag-race oriented rear shock for the car. For spring and fall drag racing, I run the 90/10 Lakewoods up front, but with my Koni yellow rear shocks, and they are usually adjusted to the 3/5 settings while at the dragstrip. (For autocross I take out the front Lakewoods and put in the front koni yellow struts.) The rear shocks on these cars are a 5 minute swap per-side, so I wouldn't mind buying a set of drag-based rear shocks ONLY if I stand a chance of seeing a significant improvement in the launch/60 foot at the track. I don't want to waste money if the koni's are well suited enough. I am not looking for anything high dollar (Afco, viking, etc), but more like the Lakewood 50/50 shocks.
link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...maro/year/1984

And While on the topic of a faster launch, I am wondering if it's time I get away from relying on the oem 1987 iroc-z rear sway bar, and maybe get something of an upgrade. I Take the the front sway bar completely off the car for drag racing and leave the oem rear on on. For autocross, I put the oem iroc one back on, and of course the rear one is already in place. Was thinking of a rear drag sway bar, and then perhaps a separate upgraded front/rear swaybar for autocross action. I do wish the UMI drag-bar was cheaper, because $450 is a lot of money and I might not need to be doing this yet. Maybe see how the shocks do and then decide about sway-bar later on.
drag bar - https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...drag-sway-bar/
bigger street/autoX bar: https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...-22mm-tubular/

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #527
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Better lighting is a must....yes I'm biased. How do you like the retrobright lights? I'm confident they will perform much better than OEM but curious of your impressions.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #528
IROCZman15

So far so good with the Retrobrights, however I haven't had the car out on roadways at night beyond the neighborhood in recent months but I notice a definite difference. I also just saw that holley is doing some blow-out sale of the version1 of these 4x6 headlights and the only difference is something with the wiring or connector. I didn't get much details, but these are the version2 and they are still for sale in the $180 range. The ones holley had up for their big sale work equally well, and they are selling for like $75 each.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 02-06-2023 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #529
IROCZman15

Decided to order the Lakewood rear shocks.

Yesterday I took out the rear coil springs and cut about 20% of a coil off the driver's side and about 40% of a coil on the passenger side.

Fender Height Before:
Drivers: 28 3/8"
Passenger: 28 1/2"

Fender Height After:
Drivers: 28"
Passenger : 28 1/8"

pass rear height after:

Degreased some of the rear underside, polyurethane greased all the moving joints in the rear suspension, re-leveled the muffler, and put some DEI heat shield onto the oem heat shield between the muffler and the fuel tank to keep the fuel pump happy.* * Took the car out for a ride to shake out the suspension and all went well.* Roads are too cold and dirty this time of year to get any traction, but the car sure felt good.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 02-12-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #530
townsend

what torque converter are you running?

scratch that went back and found it.

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile

Last edited by townsend; 02-14-2023 at 02:41 PM.
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #531
townsend

Daaaaave!! Havent seen you at the track yet this year. Hoping to get some runs against you.

With the new cam and converter im consistent on 11.6x's on 28"s on motor

Cracked off a 10.34 at 126.6 this past friday night on a 150

2021 Charger Scat

Old 04-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #532
IROCZman15

oh man, its been killing me not to have some time at the track yet. Ultra busy on all fronts, but I had actually hoped to get over tot he track on this past Friday night, but an exhausting day after an exhausting week made me decide to keep the car packed up and go instead on Sunday for TnT. Had literally everything packed and ready, but morning rainstorms caused them to rainout for the day. Car is STAYING PACKED until I get to go, so either this upcoming Friday night or Upcoming Sunday.

I am damn jealous, if you are running that quick from just the 150 shot, I am definitely going to have to keep tweaking on mine. I am still hoping to get some real good timeslips witht his new Yank converter. My current best of 10.60 was with my old Edge Racing converter, so I am hoping to knock that down a few tenths.

We would definitely have a side-by-side pass just motor-to-motor, that would make for a good video. I think I went 11.67 at 117 on motor in September. I knew I could get the car quicker, but it Rained all of the last few weekends of October, and then the track closed for winter, so that was real buzzkill for me. Sadly, even through the track has been open for a few weekends this spring, I have been crushingly busy most of the days, till this upcoming weekend

Old 04-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #533
townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZman15 View Post
oh man, its been killing me not to have some time at the track yet. Ultra busy on all fronts, but I had actually hoped to get over tot he track on this past Friday night, but an exhausting day after an exhausting week made me decide to keep the car packed up and go instead on Sunday for TnT. Had literally everything packed and ready, but morning rainstorms caused them to rainout for the day. Car is STAYING PACKED until I get to go, so either this upcoming Friday night or Upcoming Sunday.

I am damn jealous, if you are running that quick from just the 150 shot, I am definitely going to have to keep tweaking on mine. I am still hoping to get some real good timeslips witht his new Yank converter. My current best of 10.60 was with my old Edge Racing converter, so I am hoping to knock that down a few tenths.

We would definitely have a side-by-side pass just motor-to-motor, that would make for a good video. I think I went 11.67 at 117 on motor in September. I knew I could get the car quicker, but it Rained all of the last few weekends of October, and then the track closed for winter, so that was real buzzkill for me. Sadly, even through the track has been open for a few weekends this spring, I have been crushingly busy most of the days, till this upcoming weekend
Sunday is not looking good, im watching the weather close for Friday night. Ive tried going between a 26" and a 28" tire and ran basically the same times 11.66-11.67 on motor. atleast shes a bracket car in that respect. my car is super heavy, around 3850. first pass friday i went 10.77 on the spray footbraking and shaking the tire, second pass was 10.51 with a slightly better 60ft, and the final pass was the 10.34 with a 1.420 60ft. all 3 passes mph at 126.6x

This is with the new cam and fti sst 9" 89-0 converter, which seems like it is still a hair too tight on motor.

2021 Charger Scat

Last edited by townsend; 04-25-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:53 PM   #534
wretched73

How is the nitrous supply looking?
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #535
IROCZman15

man! you are hammering that car down the track good then if the car is that heavy! Yea we gotta hope Friday night weather holds off, Sunday does still look like rain.

Not sure abotu the nitrous supply for the upcoming future. I have 8 pounds in this current bottle, and a full 10 pound bottle on the shelf int he garage. I have yet to find out if Bruce's wife will be able to still fill nitrous bottles at the store, after Bruce passed away a few weeks back. He would always hook it all up and fill it, so it is unlikely she would take on that role. R.I.P. Bruce !

Old 04-27-2023, 08:19 AM   #536
townsend

so bruce's wife will not fill bottles, you have to drop your bottles off and then wait for a family friend to stop by on his way home and fill it for you. I ended up going to lethal deals in ivyland pa to get nitrous last saturday, larry the owner has tons of nitrous.

you also have the one guy ken something in old bridge who will fill, but has weird hours, 10-3 monday thru thursday as he travels to race.

air gas is clueless, but i am waiting for them to schedule a "site safety inspection" for me to get mother bottles from them, sadly air gas is the only commercial automotive nitrous supplier in our area it seems

2021 Charger Scat

Last edited by townsend; 04-27-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:05 PM   #537
IROCZman15

Hmm, that does make sense. I think that guy's name Is Todd, and I would see him helping around the storefront part of the shop from time to time. Maybe, maybe not.
-I might stop by the shop tomorrow on my way home from work just to say hello to his wife and condolences. Drove by a few times in recent weeks and had yet to see the lights back on yet.

how does all that stuff with air-gas work and the hurdles you have to go through.Not sure I know much about any of that at all. They come just once in the beginning, or unannounced site inspections for the future too?

I'm getting more disappointed every time I check the weather forecast for this weekend. I planned on working a half day at work so I could come home and then go to the dragstrip for TnT at night, but everything shows Rain Friday Saturday and Sunday. Gotta see how this shakes out.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #538
Joey D

Reading this, i applied tonight to get my permit to sell nitrous. We will see what happens. The big question is, where do they fill them commercially? I have no clue haaa
Joey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:04 AM   #539
townsend

Quote:
Hmm, that does make sense. I think that guy's name Is Todd, and I would see him helping around the storefront part of the shop from time to time. Maybe, maybe not.
-I might stop by the shop tomorrow on my way home from work just to say hello to his wife and condolences. Drove by a few times in recent weeks and had yet to see the lights back on yet.

how does all that stuff with air-gas work and the hurdles you have to go through.Not sure I know much about any of that at all. They come just once in the beginning, or unannounced site inspections for the future too?

I'm getting more disappointed every time I check the weather forecast for this weekend. I planned on working a half day at work so I could come home and then go to the dragstrip for TnT at night, but everything shows Rain Friday Saturday and Sunday. Gotta see how this shakes out.
im currently loaded up and heading to lebanon valley for a rental since atco/island etc are closed for the weekend with the rain.

the site inspection is via airgas themselves just to make sure you have a set up to secure the bottles etc. they have been a legit pain in the ass though, claiming i need dea paperwork (you dont) and some other crap. i put it under my job because then with a "business" they are a little less of a pain.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 04-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #540
townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
Reading this, i applied tonight to get my permit to sell nitrous. We will see what happens. The big question is, where do they fill them commercially? I have no clue haaa
youre gonna need an account with airgas to buy and exchange/refill cylinders, airgas is the supplier of Nytrous-plus which is automotive nitrous. whatever you do do not call the paterson nj airgas, you will wanna choke him thru the phone.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 04-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #541
Joey D

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
youre gonna need an account with airgas to buy and exchange/refill cylinders, airgas is the supplier of Nytrous-plus which is automotive nitrous. whatever you do do not call the paterson nj airgas, you will wanna choke him thru the phone.
Haaa thank you cause i was gona. They r supplier listed on my permit. Created account with them etc. thanks.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:05 AM   #542
IROCZman15

In full hopes that the rain would hold off for Friday night (last night) I bounced home from work early and would have gone to Island... did not think about Lebanon valley; in fact I have never even been there yet. called Island and was understanding that they would be rained out Friday night and Saturday. Sunday was left up in the air still, but it currently looks like rain also. Damn.

On my way home I stopped by Bruce's speed shop to offer condolences and she did mention that the nitrous bottles could still get filled, but as townsend said, bottles would have to be left for a day or two until someone could come fil them. No biggie.

But then my good buddy Joe comes along and somehow, overnight, successfully applies to be come a nitrous seller. Wild!

I also stopped at a place in Rockaway/Dover that does interior work just to ask their advice about what brand of weather-stripping they would recommend for my "roof rail" weather-stripping. I have heard mixed reviews on some of the normal weather-stripping companies, and I ONLY need the roof -rail weather-stripping. Some people on Thirdgen.org have had luck with Fairchild, some with Steel, some with SoffSeal. Since the car is a hard-top its a real simple piece of weather-stripping, but sometimes either its too stiff and people have to SLAM their doors or there is a gap in between the window and weather-stripping. I duno, none of the product brands has seemed superior from what I have read online. Anyways, the guy at the upholstery shop was a jerk and basically didn't have the time of day to answer my 3 questions. He told me to go online and just pick one. Glad I got help from a guy who has been in the business for over 30 years as he told me. Whatever.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1982-02-firebird/w779
or
https://www.steelerubber.com/hardtop...rip-82-0054-68
or
https://www.camarocentral.com/1982_1...g_p/wea-11.htm
or
?

Next weekend at island is:
Friday Day: Open track rental
Friday Night: closed, no racing because of setup for swap meet
Saturday: Swap Meet
Sunday: Spring season Nostalgia Event

I am still looking for a day to do shakedown passes on the car, preferably before trying to go some rounds in any type of event. I am toying around with the idea of jumping into that Friday Daytime track-rental for $200 if I am able to get off from work that day. I figure I could really get a whole lot of passes on the car and maybe really nit-pick some stuff with it. I am still curious about my nitrous jetting numbers, as sometimes my ECU has to add/subtract a significant amount of CLcomp fuel on the bottle (its inconsistent). So I'd like to figure that out. All motor, the car is pretty much where I think it will be. I'm still of the opinion that there is more to be figured out to get a faster nitrous pass. With a 11.67 all motor pass, I should be well past a 10.60 using the 175 jets, but its just not happened yet. Tough to sort that stuff out when you only get 2or3 runs in some days at a TnT.

I only really have the month of May to get after it at the dragstrip, in June the car will be super cleaned and detailed and more focus on paint-body because it will be at the Carlisle 3rd gen display in the building, so I probably won't do any racing in June. July involves switching the car over to autocross mode, and doing the UMI Autocross event.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 04-29-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:51 PM   #543
townsend

Quote:
In full hopes that the rain would hold off for Friday night (last night) I bounced home from work early and would have gone to Island... did not think about Lebanon valley; in fact I have never even been there yet. called Island and was understanding that they would be rained out Friday night and Saturday. Sunday was left up in the air still, but it currently looks like rain also. Damn.

On my way home I stopped by Bruce's speed shop to offer condolences and she did mention that the nitrous bottles could still get filled, but as townsend said, bottles would have to be left for a day or two until someone could come fil them. No biggie.

But then my good buddy Joe comes along and somehow, overnight, successfully applies to be come a nitrous seller. Wild!

I also stopped at a place in Rockaway/Dover that does interior work just to ask their advice about what brand of weather-stripping they would recommend for my "roof rail" weather-stripping. I have heard mixed reviews on some of the normal weather-stripping companies, and I ONLY need the roof -rail weather-stripping. Some people on Thirdgen.org have had luck with Fairchild, some with Steel, some with SoffSeal. Since the car is a hard-top its a real simple piece of weather-stripping, but sometimes either its too stiff and people have to SLAM their doors or there is a gap in between the window and weather-stripping. I duno, none of the product brands has seemed superior from what I have read online. Anyways, the guy at the upholstery shop was a jerk and basically didn't have the time of day to answer my 3 questions. He told me to go online and just pick one. Glad I got help from a guy who has been in the business for over 30 years as he told me. Whatever.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1982-02-firebird/w779
or
https://www.steelerubber.com/hardtop...rip-82-0054-68
or
https://www.camarocentral.com/1982_1...g_p/wea-11.htm
or
?

Next weekend at island is:
Friday Day: Open track rental
Friday Night: closed, no racing because of setup for swap meet
Saturday: Swap Meet
Sunday: Spring season Nostalgia Event

I am still looking for a day to do shakedown passes on the car, preferably before trying to go some rounds in any type of event. I am toying around with the idea of jumping into that Friday Daytime track-rental for $200 if I am able to get off from work that day. I figure I could really get a whole lot of passes on the car and maybe really nit-pick some stuff with it. I am still curious about my nitrous jetting numbers, as sometimes my ECU has to add/subtract a significant amount of CLcomp fuel on the bottle (its inconsistent). So I'd like to figure that out. All motor, the car is pretty much where I think it will be. I'm still of the opinion that there is more to be figured out to get a faster nitrous pass. With a 11.67 all motor pass, I should be well past a 10.60 using the 175 jets, but its just not happened yet. Tough to sort that stuff out when you only get 2or3 runs in some days at a TnT.

I only really have the month of May to get after it at the dragstrip, in June the car will be super cleaned and detailed and more focus on paint-body because it will be at the Carlisle 3rd gen display in the building, so I probably won't do any racing in June. July involves switching the car over to autocross mode, and doing the UMI Autocross event.
im out this week for the friday rental, had a health scare and need to make up the days at work, plus redoing my nitrous system a little bit, think i am having a fuel solenoid issue

2021 Charger Scat

Old 05-16-2023, 07:15 AM   #544
IROCZman15

damn, sorry to hear about your health scare bud, hope all is well at this point now. I did get out to the track last Friday for that Track rental. It was ok, Ill go into details below, but I still have some datalogging issues and nitrous issues to sort out here myself.

Its almost 11 days later and I am finally getting a chance to type this up. In the future, I really may not have the time to type up such detailed event re-caps, but I will try because the main reason I do it, is so that if I got something going awry or I can find out any mistakes that need correcting.. hopefully someone can point it out and I can get this car dialed in. The biggest thing preventing me form these updates and any car work is the 11 month old baby and some serious health issues he has been dealing with for the past 7 months of his life. Tough times and hardly any free time to get things accomplished, but I will keep at it. Actually, I am only able to type this all up today since I am home from work to take care of the little fella.

Anyways, since multiple weekends prior to the May 5th trace rental had fully rained out, I took a day off of work and jumped into the rental for $200. It was with a group of North Jersey streetcars, mostly new mustangs, mopars, corvettes, and mostly street cars with radials. there was a tesla or two and some e-Audi thing too. It had rained in the early morning, so the track started an hour late and we lost that hour. (throughout the day it rained several more times and the track even closed early because of the rain...I was next in the line for the burnout box when they called the track closed!). This was the first time I have run the car with the new Lakewood 50/50 drag shocks in the rear, so I was interested to see how it would go. The DA for the day was under 1000, minimal wind, etc. I kept the Front tires the same all day, and the rear tires were between 16.6psi and 17.2 psi all day. The passes where I hot-lapped the car the tires were at the 17.2 psi. The rear air bags were at 6 psi on the drivers side and 16 psi on the passenger side.

Pass 1:

All motor shakedown pass after winter mods and adjustments. Since I expected to get a lot of dragstrip passes during the day, I decided to do one with the air filter/air cleaner assembly on, just out of curiosity. It spun a little out of teh hole, but somehow I got a good reaction time for once. launched at 1760 rpms, converter flashed at 4786 rpms. Shifted 1-2 at 6241 rpms, shifted 2-3 at 5851 rpms (early) and crossed the line around 6002 rpms.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbgCrdvT-Wg

Pass 2:
used the same tune file, just took the air filter assembly off. Did my very best to launch and shift exactly as I did on the pass before. launched at 1731 rpms, converter flashed at 4746 rpms. Shifted 1-2 at 6033 rpms, shifted 2-3 at 5870 rpms and crossed the line at 6133 rpms. picked up about 1 mph (and 2tenths)

--- Then it rained and track was stopped for almost 2 hours

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDh5CFp2_c

Pass 3:
they dried the track, and I wanted to get a better all motor timeslip that was more in the 11.7 and 11.6 range like usual. Launch hooked better but still a little slip. However, here comes the garbled nonsense datalog gremlins back to haunt me from last year. The datalog is useless and I still don't know why it does this intermittently.

Timeslip:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oA6z4H]

Datalog:

datalog again:
its only recording/saving data points every half second instead of every micro-second. wth!?!

Pass 4:
My personal best all-motor timeslip was a 11.66 and since I had jsut gone 11.670, I said, lets see if we can get a new pb. I added a few drops of race-gas concentrate to the fuel tank and added 1 degree of timing, so my overall timing was 35 deg instead of 35. This time the datalog worked! Launched at 1186 rpms and got a nice 1.49 sixty foot (all motor!) Converter flashed at 4797 rpms. I shifted 1-2 at 6489 rpms and shifted 2-3 at 6135 rpms. Across the finish line at 6032 rpms. The new personal best all motor is now this timeslip, but I think on a good day I can hopefully knock down a 11.59. The mph picked up almost 3 mph from previous pass, so that was awesome

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Pass 5:

People were already seeing the rain clouds move in again, so I decided to get a nitrous run in prior to any shut-downs. I had the 150 jets in and knew the starting line was tricky today so I chose to do a progressive ramped in 150 shot. it did spin a bit on the launch, but ran well. It did the same usual numbers for the progressive 150 shots as last year; but again. the datalog failed. Getting real annoyed about that.

Timeslip:
Untitled by David Martin, on Flickr

Datalog fail:

Untitled by David Martin, on Flickr

Rain arrived but didn't last too long, after track was dry we got back in the lanes.

Pass 6:

Wanted to see if a non-progressive nitrous shot would work, but it didnt. It actually had a different problem, and that is that the nitrous system turned itself off. I hadn't seen any problematic (afr) numbers on the dashboard display during the first 330 of the pass, but something made the system shut off. I ran it out all motor though. Went to check the datalog, and boom, of course, datalog error again. So thats a double problem. I checked spark plugs, and while they were turning tan in color from the race-gas additive, the timing mar on the strap seemed good and no other signs of combustion problems.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUzf2aez-08

spark plug:

pass 7:

I modified the existing tune file to open up the "nitrous system safety parameters" a bit in case the safety shut-off numbers were too tight. otherwise, no change. Spun on the launch (there really was no rubber "grove" that day), nitrous clicked off soon afterwards, and I ran the rest of the pass on motor just watching AFR numbers as close as I can on the digital dashboard readouts. Nothing alarming. Datalog failed again

Timeslip:

Failed Datalog:

Video:
(can hear nitrous go off with engine noise change)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am5_hiDFgU4

Pass 8:

Incredibly frustrated a\nd confused, we saw rain coming in again so I decided to send it and did a quick nitrous jet change to a 175 shot and a corresponding known-good tune file (used last spring to go 10.60). As expected, spun the launch, nitrous clicked off, and no useful datalog.

Timeslip:

Datalog:

Video:

I then decided to just make another all-motor pass and jumped into the lanes.
Rolled to the area just before the burnout box, rain arrived, track shut down for the day. Packed up, in the rain, chatted with some people for a bit, and drove home in the rain.

I mean, jeez, I gotta figure out these two issues, and I have had a thread on the HolleyEFI web-forums regarding the datalog issue for at least a year now. Limited time and limited brainpower. I was kinda bummed that the starting line was not good/consistent throughout the day. Street treaded street tires and minimal prep, but sometimes I got it to stick. I did stay in the right hand lane the whole day because it had more cars with radials and slicks going down it. Joey D came by for a bit and took some video/photos. The car is popping a sure small wheelie on the all-motor launches when it hooked ( Pass 3 which was 1.52 sixty and Pass 4 which was 1.49 sixty foot). So, thats good, and I probably am close with the rear setup working. Maybe a slight tire psi adjustment or air bag adjustment, but not much.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-16-2023 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #545
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Nice to see you back out there making passes. Hope your little one gets better soon.

Regarding the datalog issues, any response from Holley directly on this? Track prep wasn't your friend and sounds like another day with some more serious cars on a proper tire will help.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #546
townsend

nice, it sucks working thru problems but reaching the end goal is worth it. i got my nitrous issue figured out, damn summit window switch decided it was failing and went nuts. still have to upload that vid.

looks like youre still a hair low on tire pressure, wadding the radial up a lot its probably unloading about 10ft out (atleast thats the problem im having and your pic the tire looks similiar).

if the weather holds ill be there sunday with a few fresh bottles and fresh plugs.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 05-16-2023, 09:19 PM   #547
Joey D

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsend View Post
nice, it sucks working thru problems but reaching the end goal is worth it. i got my nitrous issue figured out, damn summit window switch decided it was failing and went nuts. still have to upload that vid.

looks like youre still a hair low on tire pressure, wadding the radial up a lot its probably unloading about 10ft out (atleast thats the problem im having and your pic the tire looks similiar).

if the weather holds ill be there sunday with a few fresh bottles and fresh plugs.
I took the pic. His tire was def wrinkling a lot. 16psi i believe. Needs like 18-22? Or will it spin too much? I thnk the car really needs a 200shot progressive and just go
Old 05-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #548
townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
I took the pic. His tire was def wrinkling a lot. 16psi i believe. Needs like 18-22? Or will it spin too much? I thnk the car really needs a 200shot progressive and just go
i am having a similiar issue and everyone is telling me to be around 18-19psi on the radial and get the shocks set right so it separates and hooks. what happens is a radial wads up (like in the pic) then suddenly unloads and snaps back into shape, when that happens the tire spins and there goes your 60ft.

its a balancing act of enough pressure, enough anti squat, and shocks that can actually slow the separation down (stiff rebound) and keep it down too (compression). my car sits close to factory height and i had the lca in the bottom hole on the relocation brackets, this is causing too much antisquat (over 150%) with the short torque arm. i have since raised the lca up 1 hole and changed the shock adjustments. will find out sunday if i went the right way.

at lebanon valley i went as low as 15psi and the 60ft was getting worse, went back up to 18psi and got a 1.470 60ft with a 150shot coming on right away. i do not have a progressive.

2021 Charger Scat

Last edited by townsend; 05-17-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #549
IROCZman15

I hope to get a response back to your replies in the net day or two, but I did experiment with different tire pressures a bit last year, I can go through my old posts and logbook and see what some of the best 60 foots were and then look and see what my tire pressure was on that run. Will get back to you guys on all that.

Just wanted to post a few of the videos that Joey D took from that day, gives a better view of the launch and you can hear the tire spin/shutter in some of the videos.

Pass 2:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/e1hxDkKwIo0

Pass 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfOD40oSNTo

Pass 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs25Sjj9H68

Pass 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CKzTCDZdiE

much thanks to Joe for grabbing some video footage.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #550
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

If you are on Facebook, "holley EFI discussion" is a great source of info and help for solid guys in the tuning world.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning