Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Anyone try/using Dry Guide?

Getting ready to do some painting and reading about dry guide. Anyone using it, good/bad - tricks?

Thanks, JB
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
HardcoreZ28

I'm assuming dry guide is a guide coat for on top of your primer? I use a spray on guide coat powder but I'm going to start using the dry stuff for economical reasons. Guide coat is a very very valuable tool when doing high quality jobs. It will show you nicks, scratches, and low spots you'd never see with your naked eye.

Just put it on and let it dry or adhere for maybe 5-10 minutes and sand it off. Use a flat block or rubber squegee and sand until all the guide coat is gone....if you start hitting bare metal and your still have your guide coat you know you have a low spot that needs filling. Don't bother using your guide coat until you are ready to sand with either 220 or 400 grit paper. If you're using coarser than that you're too far away from finished still.

Best of luck!

Oh and you can sand it either wet or dry. If you don't have to worry about rust coming up on you quickly I'd suggest wet sanding.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Thanks bud!

yes, that is what it is

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

It's a used fiberglass hood, Think it's called the "Stinger" looks like a 67 stingray BB hood.
I think it was made by American SC design. Seems to be of good quality. The paint that is on it isn't too bad and it is painted in the Camaro teal color, looks to have been done fairly well, but there is some noticable fisheye. One bad scratch about 1' long that I need to block out and a few stone chips. but other then the scratch, overall I think just sanding out to the base coat and prime/paint from there will be good. Don't expect to have to do any major filling or sanding at this point. Don't see any waves in it at all.

Since it will be painted black I know it needs to be as perfect as I can get it. Been a long time since I used a spray gun ( and that was the old sytle cup guns too ( cause,,,, well last time I painted,,,,,,, Lacquer was popular! LOL! )

Actually think this is going to be a fun project, I picked up a full set of guns, The kit with two of the Devilbiss Startingline HVLP guns, and also got a touch up and air brush set. So they have been sitting their begging me to take then out of the wrappers!

I'll probably have a few more question and I'll keep you posted on my adventure!

If this works, I'll move on to other panels!

John
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
HardcoreZ28

Sounds good John. Feel free to PM me or even call me with any questions. What paint line are you planning on using? If it happens to be DuPont let me know. I have a high build primer that's just for fiberglass that would help you out a lot with that thing. If you're coming down this way for E-Town or Cops and Rodders and can transport the hood I could hit it with a nice thick coat for you. I have extra just sitting around so no charge or anything. Or if you have some kind of containers you can put the primer and activator in I'll just give you a few ounces.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I've used rattle can spray paint as a guide coat before. nice and cheap
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I've used rattle can spray paint as a guide coat before. nice and cheap
Thats what I use quick and cheap. Just use a contrasting color.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
I have extra just sitting around so no charge or anything. Or if you have some kind of containers you can put the primer and activator in I'll just give you a few ounces.
THANK YOU! Yes, I'll get contains. There is a place local to me that is a distributor, and I think Dupont is an option. I actually have gotten that far yet as to brand.

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
THANK YOU! Yes, I'll get contains. There is a place local to me that is a distributor, and I think Dupont is an option. I actually have gotten that far yet as to brand.
Ok....I have to doublecheck one thing though....that primer may only be good for bare fiberglass. I'll have to read the can and see or call my supplier. If so you may want to just sand that hood down with some 180 on a DA first if you can do it without creating low spots everywhere. You may be able to go right over the sanded old paint though. Gonna PM you my shop number and you can call or leave a message whenever you're ready.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Been a long time since I used a spray gun ( and that was the old sytle cup guns too ( cause,,,, well last time I painted,,,,,,, Lacquer was popular! LOL! )
Holy crap you're old!

Damn kids
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I have read many good comments on dry guide (3M I think).

Maybe look here: http://www.autobody101.com/

Stinger hood FTW.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I never knew they made special guide coat before. I always went to the local hardware store and got the 75cent cans of BBQ paint, available in black, gray, and white. lol

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
HardcoreZ28

Again I'll preach on how great guide coat is. I use it on atleast my last two sandings on every car I paint. You'd be amazed how many little nicks, scratches, and tiny dings your eye will miss.

I still prefer the stuff that comes in the aerosol can too...it sticks better, especially on verticle surfaces like doors and rear quarters.

SkinAndSteel.com
Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
amargari

I used the 3M dry guide coat on my car and it worked great. Very quick and easy to use.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Been so busy with other projects I never got back to finish blocking it out. Maybe one day,,,,

Funny, I was watching a show one night about the Riddler hotrod award, and one of the top cars ( not sure if it won ), was painted with water base paint. It was one of the only cars not painted with Lacquer, so I guess being old isn't always a bad thing?

Eventually the car will be a really deep black, with light blue/purple/red ghost flames. I want the old school type flames, criss/cross down the fendors and doors. I also haven't touched the air brushes in years, but I have an idea for something on the underside.

How the inital paint on the hood turns out will probably determine how my plans go. I got the entire paint layout in my head, getting it onto the car is going to be the real hard part!

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
mc73nova

I actually used it on my bumper today, it worked good. I still prefer just using a rattle can, plus its cheaper!
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Tags
dry guide