Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Early Years 67-92

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
zraffz

1990 Camaro RS

Just about finished up my brother's car today. He picked it up for $1,800 sometime last year and it had the stock TBI 305/700R4 in it. It had been freshly painted the year before but the car was a total slouch.
First up he scored a freshly rebuilt 3.73 rear with an auburn posi. Next up I built him a 350 (stock bottom end freshened up), machined vortec heads, crane cams roller rockers,comp cams XR276HR cam (224/230, .502"/.510"), air gap rpm manifold and topped with a holley 600... motor was originally in my S10 and after the break in period I couldn't stop blowing out collector gaskets so I sent the truck down the road.

I started taking his motor out and putting this one in over the winter but due to the cold I gave up. Today we got it running and took it for a few spins to dial in the carb and adjust the TV cable (ended up with a 2,200 RPM foot brake stall). Car still has a flat spot at around 1,200 RPM which I haven't addressed yet. Around 4,000 RPM the car really becomes alive.

Some reason the video can't be embedded so here is a link to it idling at temperature with an open y pipe for now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LmxEzdvjw

Last edited by zraffz; 04-07-2013 at 10:20 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Sounds like a nice motor. Carb may be a bit small?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
zraffz

You think so? Motor only seems to pull to 6,100 or 6,200 rpm but I'm trying to adjust the governor to shift at 5,8/900 cause my brother has a heavy foot and the motor has stock rod bolts.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Yea.

Is it like an 1850? Holley 600, vacuum sec?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
zraffz

It's a 4160 style carb with vacuum secondaries and self adjusting floats. Fuel mixture seems spot on judging by the goldish colored plugs. I've never messed with jets in a carb but have adjusted floats, air/fuel screws and the transition slot underneath.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Early Years 67-92