Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
EODMonkey

turbo tuning help

hey rear mount and front mount turbo guys what issues did you have with tuning? intake temp problems, mass air readings, etc? right now she's got a wicked shake at idle and imho i'm not running a radical enough cam for it. specs are (if i remember correctly) 228/230 115lsa .6125 lift. i just hope it smoothes out with the tune
the shop i'm using has the HP Tuners setup so thats what they'll be using.
i picked up a gen 4 mass air sensor as well because it has the intake temp built in and a 2 bar map.
i've been trying to knock out any potential problems ahead of time, this build has been going on forever and i just want my car to be done without anymore delays. any pointers, advice, or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated
EODMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

If the car has not been tuned since the new mods then that would likely explain the engine shaking....assuming everything was assembled properly. I don't know if you built a new engine or whatever so just guessing on these things here.

Depending on the boost you plan to make with your setup, you may need to ditch the MAF. If you max it out, it will not be useful for tuning purposes and you will likely need to go speed density.

Since the MAF has the IAT built in, you will need to get a IAT sensor relocation kit so the MAF can be removed. The unit plugs in between the MAF so you essentially can move the IAT where you want to. Not a bad idea to pick one up just in case the tuner says no go on the MAF.

Check to make sure the system will hold boost as well so you don't have leaks. Double check all hose clamps. I would recommend T-bolt clamps for any FI setup above 5psi (I would do it even for that).

If you have HPTuners, you can do some datalogging prior to the tuning session so the tuner can identify any potential issues on his end before you get there.

I am prepping the same way for my appt so I limit the issues I run into when I'm there.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
EODMonkey

the motor was completely rebuilt and is running off the tune it had for the old turbo setup right now... surprisingly my af sits at 14.3 14.4, not a bad start.
i'm trying to avoid a SD tune so i went with the 85mm gen 4. i've heard of FI guys using it with success, its supposed to be more sensitive and have a wider range than my gen 3, but its still a gamble. we're going to start at 10lbs but i'd like to see 13.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODMonkey View Post
the motor was completely rebuilt and is running off the tune it had for the old turbo setup right now... surprisingly my af sits at 14.3 14.4, not a bad start.
i'm trying to avoid a SD tune so i went with the 85mm gen 4. i've heard of FI guys using it with success, its supposed to be more sensitive and have a wider range than my gen 3, but its still a gamble. we're going to start at 10lbs but i'd like to see 13.
A/F sounds a bit rich for idle but thats not a big deal. I am looking to avoid a SD tune as well which is why I also have a Gen 4 unit. I am potentially going to see 15psi so I hope it works out.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
EODMonkey

15psi, thats gonna be good. whats your fuel system setup like?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
15psi, thats gonna be good. whats your fuel system setup like?
Lonnies Double Pumper (2- 255 in tank units), his wiring harness including hobbs switch, aeromotive AFPR, and 80 lb high impedance Siemens injectors. Lonnie said the system would be good for 800rwhp before a fuel rail/line upgrade would be necessary.

The kit was really nice and very well put together. The harness is also nice because it allows me to switch the primary pump right from under the hood.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
EODMonkey

i've heard of a lot of people doing the double 255 on a hobbs switch, that should work real well.. was it difficult to get two pumps into the tank? how much did the setup cost ya? i'm trying a single 255 on a kenny bell boost a pump with 60lb injectors. i may go with an a1000 down the road though.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
i've heard of a lot of people doing the double 255 on a hobbs switch, that should work real well.. was it difficult to get two pumps into the tank? how much did the setup cost ya? i'm trying a single 255 on a kenny bell boost a pump with 60lb injectors. i may go with an a1000 down the road though.
Wasn't too difficult honestly but I was being extra careful to fit everything through the top of the tank. The whole setup with harness/injectors/pump assembly was right around $1k shipped. At 10psi, you should be able to get away with your setup but the double pumps are an easy way to go to avoid a lot of fabrication and such to make it all fit.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning